PDA

View Full Version : Drive with the butt cap...

KoolAidMan
09-19-2004, 03:56 PM
Does this mean, after you bring the racquet back, you pull the butt cap forward (so that its facing the ball) and then the racquet automatically swings around from you pulling the butt cap forward? Is that right or do you have to bring the racquet head to the ball with some force?

JohnThomas1
09-19-2004, 06:40 PM
The pulling of the butt cap is to start the motion i believe Bill said the other day. Of course you still want to accelerate thru the ball, just a tug on the butt cap won't do much unless backed up by good mechanics.

finchy
09-19-2004, 06:49 PM
thats for the backhand. btw, i mentioned this in my previous posts about a flat forehand.

by driving with the buttcap first, your racquet turns 90 degrees and depending on what you want to do, you can plow through the ball flat or plow and brush to add pace and topspin.

in my experience, it allows you to drive through the ball more. but, this works very well with sw or full western grip, when the ball is hit out in front of you, and you are keeping your eyes on the ball. all of what i just said must be used in conjunction in order for the shot to be clean and well hit.

JohnThomas1
09-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Many find it helps the kinetic chain, they don't open the shoulders before they should etc and seem to store power better.

vin
09-20-2004, 09:13 AM
Pulling the buttcap forward applies to both the backhand and the forehand. Keeping the buttcap pointed at the ball as long as possible increases the acceleration and stability of the racquet at contact.

easitennis.com explains this in depth.

Eman
09-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Hi,
This is the first time I've heard the "pulling the butcap" example and I don't know if I understand it correctly. Is this just another way of describing the motion of the backswing moving forward.

At some point the buttcap has to stop and the racket turns to meet the ball right. Am I imagining this correctly? Is this described somewhere else?

Thanks

degreefanlindi
09-26-2004, 12:18 PM
The phrase is unfamiliar to me also Eman...I am not sure what is completely meant by it. Can someone add some insight please?

JohnThomas1
09-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Here's an old BB special

Bungalow Bill - 08:18am Feb 19, 2004 PST (#5 of 5)
For the Love of the Game.
FastDunn,

I know what your saying. Sometimes it is difficult to describe things on this board without any visual content. A throwing motion is one way to explain it. The other way is the modern forehand is more like a hammering motion.

Butt cap behind the ball, then pulling the racquet handle (briefly and very slightly) towards the ball. The butt cap then cuts across the body as the racquet face hammers the ball like a nail. Except the motion is sideways. The further out your can get that hammering effect without losing your balance and therefore your control the more pace you get on the ball. However, even that has diminishing returns.

With the hammer style stroke, one can take a very short backswing and still pound the ball.

Eman
09-26-2004, 03:17 PM
nice explanation!! Thank you.

Chanchai
09-26-2004, 05:22 PM
Another way of describing it is similar to some of the Bolletieri material out there.

Think of the buttcap as the bright side of a flashlight (the light), pointing to the ball. As you drive the racquet forward to hit the ball, you want to drive the buttcap as if the racquet was in a slot for awhile, before you eventually "snap through" (for lack of a better term on my end).

Without a visual, it really is kinda hard to explain. The idea is that instead of going through a windy stroke, you're driving the racquet butt/handle first and then snap/whip the racquet just before contact so you get a high-acceleration and high-velocity action from the racquet as it hits through the ball.

I really hope that makes sense for those that are still confused. It's hard for me to think of a common activity that's similar to it. The hammer example is the closest I can think of.

-Chanchai

JohnThomas1
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
I think you and BB have it totally covered Chanchai :)