PDA

View Full Version : In need of service advice.

Tennisplayer92
05-08-2007, 09:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U6Z7kszWOs
I have a feeling my form isnt too good. any advice on what i could do? (i slowed the video down so my motion is actually visible.)

zapvor
05-08-2007, 09:58 PM
it looks pretty decent to me. maybe a few more serves in real time can confirm.

Tennisplayer92
05-08-2007, 10:28 PM
thank you for the advice. ill see if i can get another video tommorow. but also hows my contact point? should it really be that low? should the ball be more so over my head? cuase watching it over it seems as if my body is leaning instead of being straight at the ball.

zapvor
05-08-2007, 10:36 PM
hmm....i didnt pay very clsoe attention, but the form looks pretty good. what serve are you trying to hit? that determines ball toss and contact point somewhat. well, how you contact the ball, not the point itself. my serve sucks so there is not much i can suggest,heh

Tennisplayer92
05-08-2007, 11:42 PM
i believe was trying to go flat on that one but im not too sure. i should be able to get a video of a flat serve tommorow

shindemac
05-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Yea, contact point is little low. Unless you're trying to do kick, your follow thru ends up on right side of body. Normal vid would be useful too.

LuckyR
05-09-2007, 09:55 AM
The vertical axis of your video is a bit skewed but from what I can see the motion itself is fine for a modern topspin/flat serve. However one critique would be that you seem to be leaning a bit to the left with your head and upper body. Again that may be distortion from the video, but that's what it looks like. If true, it would be the reason for your low contact point.

Solat
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
you suffer from what looks to be a EFH grip which tends to leave the racquet open at the top of your swing (waiter position) this limits the amount of pronation you can get. I also agree that contact point should be higher

jasoncho92
05-09-2007, 05:52 PM
It doesnt seem like your getting much power because your racquet isnt reaching low enough before the forward swing

The_1337
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
hello paul, dont break your wrist again....

i always thought that your serve would be faster than it is. it's weird, because i basically use my arm to generate speed and you do a lot more than me yet your serve is only a little faster.

Tennisplayer92
05-10-2007, 06:47 PM
who.. are you? o___o

Edit: Hi karl haha I also plan on working on my form over the sumemr to be strict to improve my motion to energy.

Matt_MS
05-10-2007, 07:01 PM
Make sure you pull your racket back and you are right, your contact should be higher. Also you look like you are falling sideways, try to make your momentum push you forward instead.

The_1337
05-11-2007, 03:12 PM
who.. are you? o___o

Edit: Hi karl haha I also plan on working on my form over the sumemr to be strict to improve my motion to energy.

im not karl. i saw you with your tennis bag today. are you going to be at the courts everyday during the summer? ill go find you.

FiveO
05-12-2007, 03:36 AM
Your overall form is okay. Good knee bend, weight shift, etc. A few things you may want to consider:

1-toss appears too far to the left and likely too close to the baseline. Where you "travel" after the hit, barely in front of the baseline and diagonally hard left in that you're in front of the center hash mark in two short steps, are symptoms of a toss that is not far enough in front of you and too far left.

2-even though the clip is slo-mo, relative to the rest of your motion there appears to be a major slow down when you reach the power or trophy position. It looks like you stop both arms as you reach this position. Like others have suggested, allowing your toss arm to "reach up" farther and stay up longer before attacking the ball will help. You also may want to slow the take back of the racquet prior to reaching this position affording yourself less time for that pause.

3-Slowing or "stopping" the racquet arm in this position also indicates tension and employing muscles in the shoulder and arm opposing those used to gain swing speed = tension. A relaxed arm and shoulder yield faster swing speeds, tension impedes speed.

4- Balance. Your steps and the fact that you are bent that far over at the waist after the hit is indicative catching one's balance rather than being a product of balanced attack of the ball with a proper swing path for the type serve you selected. Most of that is rooted in the toss placement and "stopping" the arms.

5-Grip- the "waiter position" (palm and hitting face of the racquet facing straight up) you reach at the top and how your wrist acts in the follow through, indicate a grip too far toward the eastern fh. Your grip looks more continental in the set-up so it appears that you transition to that more eastern grip somewhere in the take back. Commit to a continental to eastern bh grip.

Good luck,

SFtennisGG
05-12-2007, 04:11 AM
i didnt read what others have written but I say your form looks pretty good. Try not to lean too much towards the left on the finish.

Tennisplayer92
05-12-2007, 08:01 AM
what would be an easier way to not lean to the left? i went out yesterday and practiced the tips but i always lost my balance and landed to the left. (i also tried moving my grip as well seems to take a while to get used to but i guess most things do right? PS: keep in mind that i used to use a forehand grip for the serve so transition was pretty hard to begin with but im sure ill make it)

im not karl. i saw you with your tennis bag today. are you going to be at the courts everyday during the summer? ill go find you.

oh really now? who else do i know that is looking for a new racquet and considering a nwe one? unless your stephen... o___o

The_1337
05-12-2007, 09:10 AM
if you hold your forehand grip, you cant get as much wrist snap since youll contact the ball futher if front of you.

if you read my posts, i say which raquet i use right now.

Prince_of_Tennis
05-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Need better follow through and more torque when your serving.

Tennisplayer92
05-12-2007, 04:36 PM
would having my back face my opponents increase my torque? and as for possible height i can recieve, is my jump high enough? or am i just not that tall? lol

PS chester? i thought you used an n6...

The_1337
05-14-2007, 08:49 PM
turning your back will probably get more speed. the link doesnt work anymore, but i think you were really bent over before you hit the ball.

ps: you got it right this time. i have an n6, but whatever strings in came with suck, and my hammer 4 had good strings and an overgrip.