PDA

View Full Version : Marat Safin and grass courts.

War, Safin!
05-09-2007, 04:08 AM
If Safin's such a great tennis-talent.....why is he terrible on grass??

He's got the attributes required to succeed on grass: huge serve, great forehand/backhand, hits the ball cleanly and moves well....so why is he only a career 17-12 on grass?
One-yime Quarter-Finalist at Wimbledon, Finalist at Halle - so clearly he can play on the surface.

Does he just hate Wimbledon that much that it affects his game? :grin:

Gugarocks
05-09-2007, 04:16 AM
He can dominate a guy for an hour, lead 6/0 - 4/0, and than lose the match because he goes crazy on one bad shot. I think he doesn't move well, he's very tall and many players try to make him run because he's not lightfooted.

Duzza
05-09-2007, 04:17 AM
I love your threads. They are so....whats the word....pointless.

One-yime Quarter-Finalist at Wimbledon, Finalist at Halle - so clearly he can play on the surface.

pound cat
05-09-2007, 04:18 AM

He's got the attributes required to succeed on grass: huge serve, great forehand/backhand, hits the ball cleanly and moves well....so why is he only a career 17-12 on grass?

Does he just hate Wimbledon that much that it affects his game? :grin:

I think it has less to do with the surface, than with the outrageous price of the strawberries and cream that is charged at Wimbledon. He has talked about this at length every time he has played Wimbledon. He also finds the place stuffy and snobby I'm sure. not his kind of place.

He is going to play Queen's this year though and that's good.

War, Safin!
05-09-2007, 04:42 AM
I love your threads. They are so....whats the word....pointless.
I dunno - answer the question and I'll let you into the secret.

illkhiboy
05-09-2007, 05:36 AM
He's had a bad attitude about grass as someone pointed out. But in 2005 he tried to adapt his game more and got to the finals of Halle where he gave Federer a scare and lost 6-4 in the 3rd. At Wimbledon he beat P. Srichapan and Phillipoussis before losing to F. Lopez in 3 tight sets. Tough draw that was. Last year he was up 2 sets to love against Gonzalez but then lost. So basically he's improved his attitude and game in the last couple years and has had tough draws. Would be interesting to see what he does on grass this year. I won't be surprised if he makes the 2nd week at Wimbledon. He has the tools. His serve is BIG on grass.

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it is his movement on grass along with not liking that the ball stays low most of the time there. He is a big guy so it is hard getting down to those low balls consistently.

tintin
05-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Marat can serve well
he can volley
I suggest he hits drive volleys to be on the safe side and he'll be ok

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 02:34 PM
Marat should have like 3 Wimbledons by now. Great serve, great return, huge flat groundstrokes, solid at net. I think he just allows himself to get negative and cannot rally mentally.

LarougeNY
05-09-2007, 02:53 PM
I remember when he said he hated wimbledon and said he would never play there again. Then, like the next day or something, he said sorry and blamed his anger on his poor playing. I do remember one thing he said very: "Grass is for cows" not tennis players, or something like that.

tintin
05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Marat should have like 3 Wimbledons by now. Great serve, great return, huge flat groundstrokes, solid at net. I think he just allows himself to get negative and cannot rally mentally.

he's not solid at the net,come on now
he missed some easy arse volleys with an open court in front of him and a Kolya 10 feet away from the baseline:) :lol:

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 05:56 PM
he's not solid at the net,come on now
he missed some easy arse volleys with an open court in front of him and a Kolya 10 feet away from the baseline:) :lol:

What's a Kolya?

rounick
05-09-2007, 06:38 PM
What's a Kolya?

Kolya Davydenko..

Lost.
Again...

Zverev
05-09-2007, 07:21 PM
Grass - erratic bounce throughout the court,
baseline bounce is different from service box bounce
end of the slam bounce is different from start of the slam bounce (worn grass)

Why the heck to play on grass????!!!!!

ShcMad
05-09-2007, 08:39 PM
"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows. I'm never coming back."

-From big Marat himself.

chiru
05-09-2007, 08:46 PM
how the frick are his volleys solid. i mean hes no roddick, but hes no edberg. heck, hes worse than ivanisevic at net

hoosierbr
05-09-2007, 09:37 PM
bad attitude = bad results.

Agassi, Roddick and Sampras all had the same feelings toward grass at the beginning of their careers and lost early. It wasn't until they changed their mindset that they found a way to adapt and then succeed on grass. Easier for Pete and Andy as their games are more natural for grass whereas Agassi's game was a bit more difficult to execute successfully. But he won Wimbledon anyway.

Golden Retriever
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
Safin is done, stick a fork in him. Whether he is a great talent or not is irrelevant.

armand
05-09-2007, 10:01 PM
bad attitude = bad results.

Agassi, Roddick and Sampras all had the same feelings toward grass at the beginning of their careers and lost early. It wasn't until they changed their mindset that they found a way to adapt and then succeed on grass. Easier for Pete and Andy as their games are more natural for grass whereas Agassi's game was a bit more difficult to execute successfully. But he won Wimbledon anyway.Ya haha, I find it bizarre that Agassi won Wimbledon before Sampras did.

Safin has a bad attitude and maybe he's too old to change now. Or maybe he realizes the sun is setting on his playing days. Fonzi needs to tell him to "cool it"

federerfanatic
05-09-2007, 10:17 PM
He likes hard courts most since he likes the nice clean bounce and solid footing of hard courts. Fortunately for him over half of the events are some form of hard courts.

Gugarocks
05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
I remember when he said he hated wimbledon and said he would never play there again. Then, like the next day or something, he said sorry and blamed his anger on his poor playing. I do remember one thing he said very: "Grass is for cows" not tennis players, or something like that.

I remember Marcelo Rios saying that