PDA

View Full Version : Warm Up; Takes too Long?

Serve em Up
05-09-2007, 05:19 AM
OK,

I'm looking for a little guidance here because I think I'm a freak or something. I played doubles at the club last night. I went right after work, completely cold. It took nearly two sets for me to find a correct stroke. I was sailing balls, netting balls, hiiting left and right, you name it, It was awful.

Timing was off
Lots of raquet face errors

I did get better eventually. After playing I was very upset. I went to the wall to do some stroke work. After 15 minutes, my timing came back, the raquet face errors went away. I startred hitting with someone and was a completely different player.

Is it normal to need a long warm up. I have this problem frequently. It seems I need to hit quite a few balls repetetively before I can play reliably. Anyone else have this problem. Once I'm "warmed up" I'm fine. This isn;t a muscular conditioning kind of warm up, it's more timing and programming the correct stroke into memory.

spot
05-09-2007, 05:33 AM
sounds like a mental warmup is what you need. If 15 minutes on the wall is all you needed- why not do that before your match?

oldhacker
05-09-2007, 06:29 AM
I agree with Spot. Try hitting on the wall for 15 mins before going on court with a human. Start nice and slow and build up from there focussing on technique and consistancy. I have started doing it and it works for me. Also sometimes I need to get my feet moving so I will jump rope for a few minutes before I start on the wall.

I think going straight on court against a human without a warm up can throw you off your game and then your head gets in a state cos you worry what the other person is thinking about you missing everything and then it just gets worse. Also some humans never give you the chance to warm up. They just try to hit winners or force errors in the knock up rather than build up slowly aiming for consistancy.

I even hit on the wall for 10 mins before starting a lesson with my coach now. Saves the first 10 mins of the lesson and puts me in a much better frame of mind when my coach does not have to say "what's going on?" when I miss everything.

tennisee
05-09-2007, 06:37 AM
When I play socially at my Club I love to partner a guy in his 80's (true) who rides his bike there and when asked if he want to warm says, "Oh, no - I've been on the bike." and then plays with sublime touch right from the start. A lesson to us all. But then this guy did play at Wimbledon, which I'm in no danger of doing.

penpal
05-09-2007, 07:41 AM
I think most players would probably benefit from 15-30 minutes of grooving their strokes. The problem for most of us is finding the time to get the warm up in and, sadly, lack of fitness.

The lack of fitness can be worked on, but if you're racing to your match immediately following a full day at work, finding the time to properly warm-up can be another matter altogether.

ps60
05-09-2007, 08:29 AM
today i hit the wall just like y'day. But today i've got only a 30 min slot on a public half court /w a wall. It was awful, 'cos i didn't have time to warm up, stretch... and start softly to let the body wake up...

Better play in the dirty open area with a tall car park wall. It's dirty but i have all the time to wake up the muscles N joints and play to the best i can towards the end of the first hr.

Mountain Ghost
05-09-2007, 08:36 AM
Itís not like hitting, so it wonít help your timing, but hereís a link to a quick warm-up to get your body out of its linear-life routine just before you go on the court:

http://www.mountainghosttennis.com/tenniswarmups.html

MG

mrHan
05-09-2007, 08:39 AM
sounds like a mental warmup is what you need.

I agree 100%. If you are missing and shanking balls, you need to work on your focus. Are you not watching the ball? Are you not close enough or too far away from where it lands? Either that or you technique is wrong, you need to groove your stroke to where it is reliable and consistent. Go back to the basics, keep your racquet face open and make contact with the ball. As you work the consistency then start adding a little more speed as you build your confidence.

fuzz nation
05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
It's awful when you don't have adequate warm up time before a match, but if you can at least get your heart rate up before you step on the court, you won't endure as much of the nasty lag your body tends to go through in that first set or so. Just jogging around in the parking lot or around the outside of the fence for a few minutes can be a big help.

smoothtennis
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
What about shadow swinging easy to groove the stroke while imagining contacting a ball, and actually looking and visualizing the ball hitting your strings. As you warm up, begin with soft forward strokes, and warm up into medium paced swings, good loaded postion with the legs and feet, and work up to a full comfortable swing. Most people can't start cold turkey well. Been there done that.

dave333
05-09-2007, 06:47 PM
Watch the ball.

Best warm up for that is to do the mini-tennis thing where you rally from the service lines and move back. Really watch the ball.