PDA

View Full Version : 2 questions about serve

chrisab508
09-19-2004, 05:35 PM
first of all, if you've been serving for a while and decide it's time to add a little more power, shouldn't your ball toss theoretically be lower? faster swing = less time till you hit the ball? Also, the movie Wimbledon got my thinking, i know the pros could prolly hit cans with their serves, but can anyone here do that? just wondering. Thanks

Chris.

C_Urala
09-19-2004, 08:09 PM
Theoretically, the toss height does not affect the serve pace.
In practice, faster swing can be accompanied either by a lower toss (if it was too high initially) or by a later start of the swing.

TwistServe
09-19-2004, 09:18 PM
Toss only affects serve consistency, not pace.

chrisab508
09-20-2004, 03:27 AM
I'm not saying that the toss would affect the pace. I'm just saying that if you use the same swing pattern you normally use but decide to swing faster to add pace, wouldn't your ball toss need to be lower because you are swinging faster. For example, if you used teh same ball toss and swang fast then you might not even hit the ball because it would still be too high, do you see what im saying?

thanks.

SoupyKnight
09-20-2004, 02:38 PM
I wanna go see Wimbledon the movie haha, but in response to your question...

Well, my tennis coach was helping me with my serve, and he said to toss the ball lower and try swinging as hard is I could and keep it in. He said it would help develop the needed racquet speed to improve my serve. Whether this applies to a match, I don't know (this was practicing my serve, not a match.) So I guess your ball toss wouldn't have to be lower, your timing would just have to be altered?

And to the can question, I can nail gatorade bottles (the medium sized ones) after maybe...2 or 3 serves, but only if they are deep. Hitting short serves consiciously is kind of hard for me.

degreefanlindi
09-20-2004, 02:47 PM
Interesting topic..about serve pace and toss height. Like others have mentioned, I don't think there is a correlation either.
I've done the ball can drill on serve in practices many times. Several players will try to "aim" their serves to hit the bottles, but it's harder when you actually aim.

finchy
09-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Toss only affects serve consistency, not pace.

incorrect. the more u toss the ball onto the court, the more your body will move into the shot and get more pace on the ball