PDA

View Full Version : Who says Americans are bad on clay?

sureshs
05-09-2007, 08:55 AM
Yahoo sports?
----------------------

Roddick beats former French Open winner Gaudio

By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer
May 9, 2007

AP - May 9, 11:26 am EDT
More Photos

ROME (AP) -- Andy Roddick opened his clay-court season in style, beating 2004 French Open champion Gaston Gaudio 6-1, 7-6 (8) Wednesday at the Rome Masters.

After breezing through the first set, the third-seeded American required five match points before putting away a volley to end the second-round match.

"I was thankful to get through in two after that," Roddick said. "To win a third set might have been a tall task. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today was fun."

Roddick played for the first time since injuring his hamstring in a Davis Cup win over Spain's Fernando Verdasco last month. He will next face Juan Ignacio Chela or Igor Andreev.

Fifth-seeded Novak Djokovic, who won his third title of the season at Estoril on Sunday, rallied to beat Robin Soderling 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Also advancing was 12th-seeded Tomas Berdych, who defeated Albert Montanes 7-6 (5), 6-3. Last year's Australian Open runner-up, Marcos Baghdatis, defeated Radek Stepanek 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.

Roddick attacked well and even showed some clay-court savvy, pulling off a difficult backhand drop-shot winner to set up his first match point.

"It's probably the first time -- and last time -- where if you asked me what my best shot was I'd say my drop shot," Roddick said. "I've been trying to work on it a little more."

The 71st-ranked Gaudio forced Roddick to miss volleys at his feet to save the first two match points.

Roddick was sharp overall with his volleys, winning 20 of 32 points at the net. He also never dropped his serve.

Roddick said coach Jimmy Connors has suggested he move to the net more.

"I think moving forward has become a little more prevalent in our day-to-day game plans since we've been working together," said Roddick, who hired Connors last July.

Connors will rejoin Roddick at the French Open, which begins May 27.

The 28-year-old Gaudio said he was considering retirement.

"After Hamburg and Roland Garros, I'll decide whether I'm going to continue," he said.

Later Wednesday, Rafael Nadal put his 72-match clay-court winning streak on the line against Italian wild card Daniele Bracciali. Nadal is attempting to become the first player to win this tournament three consecutive times.

Rabbit
05-09-2007, 08:57 AM
Well, that should be enough to send Gaudio into retirement.

sureshs
05-09-2007, 08:58 AM
Nobody ever make fun of Roddick again, OK?

Rhino
05-09-2007, 09:09 AM
Who says Americans are bad on clay?
most people.
Gaudios considered his game so bad that he will probably retire and this result further confirms that.

diegaa
05-09-2007, 09:18 AM
I do say (north)americans are bad on clay. as well as others are bad in other surfaces. whats the big deal?

a guy
05-09-2007, 09:23 AM
Didn't gaudio recently say he didn't know where his game had gone? How can he suddenly lose his game like that?

Vision84
05-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Americans bad on clay?

1 word: Agassi.

Sure many are but not all ;)

ajspurs
05-09-2007, 09:25 AM
yea roddick killed it today, his forehand looked really good.

GRANITECHIEF
05-09-2007, 09:26 AM
A couple more words:

Chang and Courier.

And another word.

Retired

But i do think Roddick could put together a decent clay run, he's got the game.

FitzRoy
05-09-2007, 09:31 AM
I really don't think Roddick is some horrible player on clay. There's just a lot of players who feel that they can beat him on the surface, and that mentality really goes a long way in tennis. And, to be realistic, there are a lot of guys who can beat him on the dirt. The surface allows players to deal with his biggest weapon much more easily, so it's natural that his results won't be as good. His comfort level isn't quite the same either, so that contributes as well. He hits with plenty of spin and has a lot of margin on his strokes, so it certainly isn't anything technical as far as stroke production is concerned.

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Americans can't play on clay. We don't have any clay courts here, that's it. Roddick beating Gaudio is no indication of an improvement on clay. Gaudio is terrible now and I would hope Roddick could beat a guy that has been playing as bad as he has the last couple years.

Morrissey
05-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Big deal, Roddick beat a guy who's on the verge of quitting tennis he sucks so bad. Gaudio's record for 2007 is 5-10. This is supposed to be a good win for Roddick? Had be beaten Gaudio in 2004 or 2002 that would've been a nice accomplishment. As for American tennis sucking on clay? Blake lost to Massu just now. Oh yeah, the pathetic Gaudio got his 5th win of the year in the prior round against Mardy Fish, someone that he could beat. I mean jeez, if Roddick couldn't beat Gaudio the way he's playing this year (even on clay) then maybe Andy should just skip the entire clay season, French Open included.

isuk@tennis
05-09-2007, 10:40 AM
yea we're deprived of court surfaces over here....all we have is cement gay crap gets all hot in the summer....

Taram_Nifas
05-09-2007, 10:47 AM
The Newballs Generation of Americans aren't succeeding in Clay, mostly because they aren't as talented as the last generation. Agassi, Courrier, and Chang didn't grow up on clay, but their talent level overcome such obstacles.

Morrissey
05-09-2007, 10:51 AM
The Newballs Generation of Americans aren't succeeding in Clay, mostly because they aren't as talented as the last generation. Agassi, Courrier, and Chang didn't grow up on clay, but their talent level overcome such obstacles.

I agree with you on that this group of players aren't as talented as the previous generation. But also the rest of the world has gotten better and can produce great players and champions. It's not like in the past that America and Australia produced champions at will. America won't dominate tennis in general like in the past. The world is catching up. Funny, I could have written this exact paragraph in the US Basketball forum too.

ucrctennis
05-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Please put a spolier alert on the thread...

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-09-2007, 11:15 AM
the gaudio we all knew is gone, this one is just the shadow of his former glory.

jmverdugo
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
I do not about americans in general but Andy R is not a good clay courter for shure. I jus saw the highlights of the Roddick - Safin Davis Cup match and I do not know if it was because he had Safin in front of him but he certainly looked out of place. It was almost funny.

illkhiboy
05-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I really don't think Roddick is some horrible player on clay. There's just a lot of players who feel that they can beat him on the surface, and that mentality really goes a long way in tennis. And, to be realistic, there are a lot of guys who can beat him on the dirt. The surface allows players to deal with his biggest weapon much more easily, so it's natural that his results won't be as good. His comfort level isn't quite the same either, so that contributes as well. He hits with plenty of spin and has a lot of margin on his strokes, so it certainly isn't anything technical as far as stroke production is concerned.

Good post. Roddick did almost Acususo at the French Open a couple years back. He was 2 sets and a break up and he didn't close it.

fishuuuuu
05-09-2007, 03:02 PM
Spoiler

sureshs
05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Please feel free to make fun of Roddick again.

Andres
05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
Ok, I'll start

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gugafan_Redux
05-10-2007, 06:39 AM
If the rest of his draw was Corretja, Costa and (sadly) Guga, Roddick could get to the final.

Yeah, Gaudio's game is in the toilet but it's still a nice win for Andy. Maybe it'll give him confidence. I'm always hopeful he'll post some results on the dirt. I'll probably be dissapointed again.

Butters!
05-10-2007, 06:45 AM
Roddick just lost badly today 6-0, 6-4 vs J.I. Chela. This thread isn't looking very good. No Americans left.

RMB
05-10-2007, 06:51 AM
Big deal, Roddick beat a guy who's on the verge of quitting tennis he sucks so bad. Gaudio's record for 2007 is 5-10. This is supposed to be a good win for Roddick? Had be beaten Gaudio in 2004 or 2002 that would've been a nice accomplishment. As for American tennis sucking on clay? Blake lost to Massu just now. Oh yeah, the pathetic Gaudio got his 5th win of the year in the prior round against Mardy Fish, someone that he could beat. I mean jeez, if Roddick couldn't beat Gaudio the way he's playing this year (even on clay) then maybe Andy should just skip the entire clay season, French Open included.

Agree 100%. Amen.

soyizgood
05-10-2007, 11:50 AM
As an American, I'm appalled by our players' ignorance towards clay. You would think that America would make SOME effort to compete on clay. What better feeling than to win the French Open and make those Euros and S. Americans whine and grumble at us Americans, yet again.

Rabbit
05-10-2007, 12:05 PM
^It's kind of hard to learn to play on clay when the national organization of the US pushes hardcourts. In order for the US to do well on clay, the USTA is going to have to do what the Australians are doing:

1) recognize that you do, indeed have a problem
2) allocate money toward the problem
3) fix the problem

The USTA could go a long way IMO toward fixing this problem by doing one simple thing, changing the US Open surface to clay, red or synethetic. If they do that, then there is no more summer hard court season, it will return to the summer claycourt season which is what we had when it was played on HarTru.

No, it's not the players' fault in total. The USTA has as much blame here as anyone.

tenniko
05-10-2007, 12:22 PM
^It's kind of hard to learn to play on clay when the national organization of the US pushes hardcourts. In order for the US to do well on clay, the USTA is going to have to do what the Australians are doing:

3) fix the problem

The USTA could go a long way IMO toward fixing this problem by doing one simple thing, changing the US Open surface to clay, red or synethetic. If they do that, then there is no more summer hard court season, it will return to the summer claycourt season which is what we had when it was played on HarTru.

No, it's not the players' fault in total. The USTA has as much blame here as anyone.

You don't need to change the US OPEN surface at all. It's the public courts that matter.
Many Europeans grew up on clay, yet you see them doing fine on hard courts and US Open.

California and Florida need to build more clay courts (or Har-Tru or something) in order to get the next pros used to playing on clay and building points, etc.

tenniko
05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Please feel free to make fun of Roddick again.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAA.....:-D

I shouldn't be making fun of anyone who plays tennis professionally actually.

Rabbit
05-10-2007, 12:26 PM
You don't need to change the US OPEN surface at all. It's the public courts that matter.
Many Europeans grew up on clay, yet you see them doing fine on hard courts and US Open.

California and Florida need to build more clay courts (or Har-Tru or something) in order to get the next pros used to playing on clay and building points, etc.

Well, you kind of do. In order for claycourts to become prevalent, there has to be something to set the standard. The US Open then is the biggest tournament in the States.

Florida has a ton of claycourts already. The problem is where once clay was the dominant surface on the ATP tour, it's no longer. Hardcourts are now the most prevalent.

tintin
05-10-2007, 12:36 PM
As an American, I'm appalled by our players' ignorance towards clay. You would think that America would make SOME effort to compete on clay. What better feeling than to win the French Open and make those Euros and S. Americans whine and grumble at us Americans, yet again.

those Euro's have been winning every damn slams for some time now on all surfaces and they grew up on clay;) ;)

Mark Vessels
05-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Yahoo sports?
----------------------

Roddick beats former French Open winner Gaudio

By ANDREW DAMPF, AP Sports Writer
May 9, 2007

AP - May 9, 11:26 am EDT
More Photos

ROME (AP) -- Andy Roddick opened his clay-court season in style, beating 2004 French Open champion Gaston Gaudio 6-1, 7-6 (8) Wednesday at the Rome Masters.

After breezing through the first set, the third-seeded American required five match points before putting away a volley to end the second-round match.

"I was thankful to get through in two after that," Roddick said. "To win a third set might have been a tall task. I don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today was fun."

Roddick played for the first time since injuring his hamstring in a Davis Cup win over Spain's Fernando Verdasco last month. He will next face Juan Ignacio Chela or Igor Andreev.

Fifth-seeded Novak Djokovic, who won his third title of the season at Estoril on Sunday, rallied to beat Robin Soderling 2-6, 6-4, 6-3.

ADVERTISEMENT

Also advancing was 12th-seeded Tomas Berdych, who defeated Albert Montanes 7-6 (5), 6-3. Last year's Australian Open runner-up, Marcos Baghdatis, defeated Radek Stepanek 3-6, 7-6 (5), 6-2.

Roddick attacked well and even showed some clay-court savvy, pulling off a difficult backhand drop-shot winner to set up his first match point.

"It's probably the first time -- and last time -- where if you asked me what my best shot was I'd say my drop shot," Roddick said. "I've been trying to work on it a little more."

The 71st-ranked Gaudio forced Roddick to miss volleys at his feet to save the first two match points.

Roddick was sharp overall with his volleys, winning 20 of 32 points at the net. He also never dropped his serve.

Roddick said coach Jimmy Connors has suggested he move to the net more.

"I think moving forward has become a little more prevalent in our day-to-day game plans since we've been working together," said Roddick, who hired Connors last July.

Connors will rejoin Roddick at the French Open, which begins May 27.

The 28-year-old Gaudio said he was considering retirement.

"After Hamburg and Roland Garros, I'll decide whether I'm going to continue," he said.

Later Wednesday, Rafael Nadal put his 72-match clay-court winning streak on the line against Italian wild card Daniele Bracciali. Nadal is attempting to become the first player to win this tournament three consecutive times.

But watch Rome today and see how he fairs against Chela:-(

FiveO
05-10-2007, 12:47 PM
Well, that should be enough to send Gaudio into retirement.

Yup.

4-10 overall in '07 and now 3-7 on clay with one of those wins resulting from a retirement by Horna at 1-1 in the first at Alcapulco.

armand
05-10-2007, 01:01 PM
At least Roddick tried today. He got creamed in the first set but kept his head up and made it decent.

VGP
05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Maybe for those willing (the kids' families) and that have the aptitude should be given the opportunity, or take the initiative to have their kids move to Spain, France, or South America during their formative years to grow up playing on clay....

Some will of course stay here in the US and when these kids all reach to pro ranks, there will be a group of young US pros that are prepared to win on all surfaces (i.e. future Davis Cup teams).

And no, the green clay we have here doesn't count.......

Alejandro D
05-10-2007, 03:19 PM
Some South American players have learned to play on hard. They're no longer just clay courters. Not Gaudio, but Gonzalez, Cañas, Nalbandian, Chela and many others are can play both on clay and hard. US players seem to prefer grass as their "second surface" wich explains why so many of them have won Wimbledon (Connors, Sampras, Agassi, etc.), and so few have have made it at Roland Garros (Agassi). The problem is that the grass season is only 1 month long, in comparison with the long european and south american clay tours.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-11-2007, 02:02 AM
Oh I recall a certain Jim Courrier...that is a good one no? but at that time I supported Sergi Bruguera :)

bluetrain4
05-11-2007, 07:16 AM
Don't American juniors who train in Florida play on clay often (like at Bolliteri's). I know it's usually Har-Tru (green clay) and practicing isn't the same as competing, but it's got to help somewhat.

Capriati palyed a lot of clay tennis growing up in Florida. Agassi, Courier, Roddick, didn't they all go to Bolliteri's.

latinking
05-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Ok , yes Aggasi, Chang, Courior, but that is 3 guys out of many from the USA, and years ago, and not like they won tons of French opens. Even your beloved Sampras was average at best on clay.So on averge sorry to say Americas do not play well on clay, but I really don't think they care. Do they, if they did they would do something about it. The American game is all about big serves and a power game. Clay rules that out.

MasterTS
05-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Sure Roddick beat a former FO champ.. but at this stage in the game Gaudio couldn't beat Kevin Kim on clay...

And how does Roddick follow up to his big win on clay?!? He gets bageled and cooked by Chela LOL

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 08:03 AM

3) fix the problem

Ummm wow. You want to make the clay season longer? Stop talking. It already dominates most of the year. The clay and hard seasons should be shortened and the grass season should be recreated because it hardly exists these days. If they change the surface of the US Open to clay I might quit because I'll be so ****ed.

Simon Cowell
05-11-2007, 08:04 AM
Americans have had good results at Roland Garros over the last 20-35 years....maybe not so much in the recent past but still good nonetheless. Jim Courier won it twice, Andre won in 1999, Ivan Lendl, a Czech-American won it 3 times in the 80's so to say America has no history on clay is ridiculous. France has only won it once in that time, Australia NONE, Britian, nil. The only countries consistent there are Spain, Argentina, Brazil.

BTW, Jim Courier is 20,000X better on clay than Federer will ever be.

Jonny S&V
05-11-2007, 08:31 AM
What about Michael Russell? He pushed Guga a few years ago at Roland Garros (I think 2001, I'm not sure :confused: ), and has steadily got his ranking back up into the top 100. If he could get back into a decent form, he has a chance at getting to at least the 4th round at Roland Garros this year.

Gugafan_Redux
05-11-2007, 08:45 AM
What about Michael Russell? He pushed Guga a few years ago at Roland Garros (I think 2001, I'm not sure :confused: ), and has steadily got his ranking back up into the top 100. If he could get back into a decent form, he has a chance at getting to at least the 4th round at Roland Garros this year.

If Michael Russel is America's hope for a clay-court showing, then we are in trouble. He had a good run that year and play the match of his life to push Guga to match points, but it was largely on the strength of his legs and tenacity, rather than a real deep clay court game. True, whatever it takes. You could argue Chang won on his his and fight. But Russell is no spring chicken, and I don't know of a single tournament QF he's made since. This is tantamount to the Netherlands hoping to mount a clay court Renaissance on the back of Martin Verkerk.

Rabbit
05-11-2007, 09:29 AM
Ummm wow. You want to make the clay season longer? Stop talking. It already dominates most of the year. The clay and hard seasons should be shortened and the grass season should be recreated because it hardly exists these days. If they change the surface of the US Open to clay I might quit because I'll be so ****ed.

My bad, don't get me wrong. I would rather see the US Open go to grass, but that ain't gonna happen. If the Open ever changed surfaces, the most likely candidate is green clay which would be fine with me as well. I think it is a fair surface and doesn't play too slowly. I do agree with you that the grass court season should be extended to at least three months.

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 09:31 AM
Fair enough, Rabbit.

RMB
05-30-2007, 12:06 PM
Who says Americans are bad on clay?

Just look at the R. Garros (1st round) results.

zapvor
05-30-2007, 12:15 PM

lol yea. its pretty clear to me and i hope most of us that Americans do indeed suck on clay. you guys mention Chang, Agassi, blah blah. thats in the past, and they were the only ones! Historically we were never good on clay,and we still arent.

chaognosis
05-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Tony Trabert was asked a similar question a while back in an interview with Tennis Week, and this was his response (the actual question was, why don't more players adopt an all-court style in order to excel on all surfaces?):

"Money. The big servers pick the fast surfaces and the clay courters want to play on clay. The top guys never play doubles anymore. Money is a reason: the more they win the more money they make so that's why they prefer playing a style and on the surface where they are successful. Someone like Sampras was basically saying: 'Why go play the European clay court season and have to battle it out when I can go win on grass?' I won national championships on all surfaces: indoor, grass, clay and hard court, but it never occurred to me not to be able to play on any surface. I equate it to a shortstop who grew up playing on grass and then can't play on artificial turf. Well, if you can't play on every surface that your game is played on then you're not a very good shortstop. That's one reason why they have the Masters Series: because the top players are supposed to play those events on the various surfaces."

(The emphasis is mine, which I added because I think Trabert's point is an excellent one -- and excellently expressed.

federerfanatic
05-30-2007, 12:34 PM
Americans looked like they could be pretty good on clay until around 5 years ago. Roddick in 2001 showed some nice potential on clay with his French Open debut actually, and winning 2 small events on clay in the U.S, and he even won a small clay court event in Europe in 2003 over Davydenko in the final. Agassi did well at the French Open from 2001-2003, reaching the quarters each of those years. Those were the last signs of potential American success on clay though.

sureshs
05-30-2007, 12:40 PM

But if you analyze each match, it doesn't look that bad

tintin
05-30-2007, 01:00 PM
Chang, Jim C. and Agassi were all way better players than Roddick and Blake,despite Roddick's huge serves and Blake's nice backhand
bring back the good old days

zapvor
05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Chang, Jim C. and Agassi were all way better players than Roddick and Blake,despite Roddick's huge serves and Blake's nice backhand
bring back the good old days

i concur completely.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
05-30-2007, 02:52 PM
Delic lost against Juan Carlos, but he played a solid match IMO and spoke well for Americans in the future possibly. I enjoyed to watch his play.

Lleyton Hewitt
05-30-2007, 03:11 PM
Chela did thump him in the next round lol......but the past 2 years the draw in the F.O for him hasnt been kind....i mean andreev everyone wasnt suprised he beat roddick and last year i think it was alberto martin he had in the 1st round.....but he is the 3rd seed ;)