PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Suggestions - NB CT 802 Alternative - Thanks in advance!

bayernstern
05-09-2007, 09:52 AM
Hello, I have been using New Balance CT 802s for a while...

I like them, except that I'd like to have something with a little more cushioning too (I play mostly hard courts)...

My needs are a little tricky: I use custom-made orthotics (have flat over-pronated feet) and thus need a shoe with superior support and stability.

According to New Balance’s website, the CT 802 is the only tennis shoe they offer in the “superior support and stability” category.

Things get a bit tricky because I seek to combine that "superior support and stability with more ankle cushioning…

Any suggestions from the experts on here? Thanks in advance!

bayernstern
05-09-2007, 10:57 AM
I guess, what I am looking for is the ultimate support + cushioning option? Any knowledgeable suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Voltron
05-09-2007, 11:11 AM
Hmmmm, support wise I like the Barricade IV, the cushioning is nice, although maybe not the best ever.

bayernstern
05-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Thanks, I appreciated the thought. Any other suggestions from anyone else on here? Thanks in advance!

flatball
05-09-2007, 05:27 PM
I,like you are an over pronator. I use the Barricade 2 with orthodics and insole. I have a very narrow foot,this works for me. This is the only shoe that I have used with orthodicks that the shoe wears even on the sole. I hope this helps.
Gil

bayernstern
05-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestion! Yesterday I stopped by my local tennis shop and tried the K-Swiss Defier RS and like it a lot. It seems that it has good support and good cushioning. Maybe a tad heavy, but weight is not my biggest concern (in my mind, healthy feet are more important to court agility than a difference of an ounce or two in shoe weight)... Anyhow, I am still researching the topic... Thanks again for everyone's help.

Serve 'em hard
05-10-2007, 09:29 AM
I wore the Defier's yesterday for the first time, switching from the NB 653 in hopes of a bit more cushioning. Too early to tell how I will like them. That said, they seemed a bit more slow and sluggish than the NB -- as expected -- but more cushioned too, as also expected. A nice roomy fit too, as compared to my Netmasters (which also hurt my soles, as did the MDPs.) I can NOT vouch for ankle support.

Verdict? I think I might like this shoe, and if I had to play 3 hours on hard court tomorrow, I would reach for these over my others in hopes they actually translate into slightly less achy knees. I think you can get them for 75 bucks from TW at the moment if you're interested.

Serve 'em hard
05-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Hello, I have been using New Balance CT 802s for a while...

I like them, except that I'd like to have something with a little more cushioning too (I play mostly hard courts)...

My needs are a little tricky: I use custom-made orthotics (have flat over-pronated feet) and thus need a shoe with superior support and stability.

According to New Balance’s website, the CT 802 is the only tennis shoe they offer in the “superior support and stability” category.

Things get a bit tricky because I seek to combine that "superior support and stability with more ankle cushioning…

Any suggestions from the experts on here? Thanks in advance!

I've been thinking about these issues... What do "stability" and "support" and ankle cushioning and all these terms mean in practical terms? How does one measure and feel such things? When, where, and how do they affect our bodies and our games?

Any noted shoe philosophers want to weigh in here?