PDA

View Full Version : Djokovic Profile

grif
05-09-2007, 12:17 PM
http://tennisworld.typepad.com/tennisworld/2007/05/djoko.html

gugarafa
05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Nice but cant understand why they keep reffering to 'the shirt incident',what was that about?
I dont think of it as a profile more of an articleon the winner of the estoril tournament

grif
05-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Nice but cant understand why they keep reffering to 'the shirt incident',what was that about?
I dont think of it as a profile more of an articleon the winner of the estoril tournament

Something about a football (soccer) shirt that he wore:

"The next morning, Benfica sent a present for Novak: an official team shirt with his name and favorite number (4) on the back. I went over to the players lounge and, with Marian Vajda and Novak's trainer, Ronen Bega, hung the red shirt on a nearby coat hook. When Novak joined us, he glanced it. A few moments later, he realized what it was, and that it was for him. He reacted like a kid on Christmas day.

I told Novak he could wear the shirt on court, before or after the match – since it was from his own sponsor, Adidas, it wouldn’t be a problem for him, and his picture would be everywhere. A couple of hours later, I saw him heading to the stadium with Igor Andreev. The red Benfica jersey was nowhere to be seen. But right before walking on court, he stopped, took the shirt out of his bag, and put it on. The crowd in the stadium was sparse (he was first on, and it was lunch time) and they greeted him with a chorus of boos! I felt terrible, I should have realized the sociological realities at play: Benfica is the popular club, but tennis attracts a posh crowd, and they're largely Sporting supporters."

Buuurnz
05-10-2007, 03:27 AM
great stuff! u can really say how press says different things than players do sometimes! I like Novak