PDA

View Full Version : Volleying Against the Wall: Am I Doing It Right?

Cindysphinx
05-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I tried (again) to volley against the wall. The last few times I tried it I got nowhere at all and declared it to be impossible. At this week's lesson, though, pro worked us from the ground up on volleys. As part of this, he demonstrated footwork by volleying against a wall. I resolved to try this again.

I stood very close to the wall, hoping to hit forehand volleys. As usual it was a disaster. After some more attempts, I managed to get it going for maybe 5-6 volleys, but I think I might be cheating.

For forehand, I put my left foot closer to the wall, as though stepping across, which gave a nice shoulder turn. What seemed to be missing was a split-step or recovery of any kind. Is this normal when you're really close to the wall? Is practicing in this way going to teach me anything?

Also, it seemed I was volleying really high against the wall. I would never want to volley that high over the net in a match. But if I brought it down, I couldn't sustain it because it would eventually hit the ground.

Have I mucked this completely up?

FWIW, it was *great* for hand-eye coordination. I found the only way I could do it was by really, really, *really* watching the ball come off my strings. A pretty yellow blur. Neat-o!

GRANITECHIEF
05-09-2007, 12:57 PM
The wall volley is an amazing drill. I have been trying it lately as well. Typically i don't have enough time to do much cross stepping in this drill, and end up doing it mostly open stance. There is no one way to do the drill, simply use it as practice for controlling the ball.

I am going for 100 hits, varying between FH and BH with different heights and speeds. I have notice that my volleying is improving in game situations.

Cindysphinx
05-09-2007, 04:26 PM
I, uh, managed 5 hits, doing only FH or only BH. No way did I have time to re-set and change between BH and FH with correct form.

Pitiful, really.

North
05-09-2007, 04:30 PM
You can't really do as much stepping about when you do this drill as when you volley in a match. I find I do more up-and-down movement, like when I am lunging for the volley, when I do this drill.

It is more, at first, about learning to focus on and follow the ball and keep the racquet face at just the right angle so the ball doesn't keep dropping down. Try doing the drill with the racquet face more open and closed, at different times, to see what that does to your control of the volley. Same thing with how close you are to the wall. Try stepping farther away (or closer, depending how close you have been standing) and see what that does.

Also - keep your arm happy :) and don't overdo this drill!

jasoncho92
05-09-2007, 05:03 PM
I do 3 hits forehand then do 3 hits backhand and its been working out for me

EDIT// Not just 6 hits but over and over again

Solat
05-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Cindy,

I recommend you start by trying to alternate FHV and BHV so aiming at a spot directly in front of your body, I find it much easier then trying to volley the same shot in a row. It also encourages the racquet moving back to the midline which is of importance of volleys.

Bagumbawalla
05-09-2007, 07:45 PM
You may be standing too close to start.

Stand back about 6 to 8 feet. Hold your racket with a contental grip.

Hold the racket moderately firmly with your elbow bent almost at a right angle. "Pop" through the ball firmly with very little wrist or elbow motion.

Imagine a line drawn through your body parallel to the wall. Do not let the ball go behind that line. In general you will want to strike the ball a foot to a foot and a half in front of that line, if you can.

Aim about a foot above the net at a specific point and try to hit there every time. Mix your shots between forehand and backhand. Hit at a medium pace or slower until you get used to reacting to the ball/bounce.

As you improve, move in closer. This will recreate the feel of a fast net exchange.

Good luck,

B

ps60
05-09-2007, 08:07 PM
i am a wall hitter, 'cos no $$$ for the Pros.

volley drill was a no-way for me.

But lately, when i do the g/s drill at back court distance, (which i usually started by a serve), i may get a short ball coming off the wall, so i step in, hit it hard at the wall (at net height, may have caught the net cord in real situation). The ball comes back to me hard and fast. Then i start volleying, with each hit, i probably take a step forward. All volleys are hard and direct (net height). Usually i wouldn't hit more than 3 volleys before i was too close to the wall and the balls became too fast to handle. But that's like real situation (in double).

Hitting soft volleys coming from a high wall bounce is meaningless, no matter how many dozens U hit. At least u are not doing a VOLLEY drill. However, it's a good warm up.

zapvor
05-09-2007, 08:25 PM
cindy i notice that you make so many threads asking for tips and advice,etc and what i am thinking to myself is, instead of all these words and posts, why dont you just post a vid, then everything will be perfectly clear, and we can give you better advice?

kimizz
05-10-2007, 03:20 AM
Dont worry bout footwork! Just try to keep the ball alive. Dont aim too high. Ive noticed that its hard to hit agressive volley to a wall from the BH and FH, so this is what I do. I try to hit FH harder and then block with BH. Then the other way around.

Good luck, stay with the wall, it will pay off very soon.

ps. I bought a foam ball designed for tennis few weeks back. Im sometimes doing volley to a wall at my house to kill time. Its great, the noise is so small that the neighbourgs dont get mad(if you live in a flat). I suggest this to everyone who cant go outside due to winter, rain etc and wishes to improve volleys!

Cindysphinx
05-10-2007, 03:46 AM
cindy i notice that you make so many threads asking for tips and advice,etc and what i am thinking to myself is, instead of all these words and posts, why dont you just post a vid, then everything will be perfectly clear, and we can give you better advice?

Don't have the gear. Also, I'm a bit of a Luddite. I can't even upload a digital pic. Tried and tried and tried, but just couldn't get it to work.

I can program my VCR, though. That's something.

tennisee
05-10-2007, 04:52 AM
Cindy - we have a trampoline at home for the kids, and if I tip it off its legs and put it on its side the face is tilted maybe 15 degrees back from the vertical, this makes a great volleying "wall" . You hit a volley onto it and it pops up and comes back nice and slow for the next one. It's good excercise too.

Serve em Up
05-10-2007, 05:02 AM
I've been doing wall volleys. I practice on a wall after getting some instruction from my pro. I'm up to about 15 FH' or about 6 BH before screwing up. When I started I couldn't do more than half that amount.

The trick is getting accurate on where you hit on the wall. If your pace or direction is off, your next volley will be impossible. Really helps develop accuracy and control.

I agree with the tips not to stand too close and not to hit softies. You need some time time react and you need enogh pace so that it comes back you.

zapvor
05-11-2007, 05:23 PM
Don't have the gear. Also, I'm a bit of a Luddite. I can't even upload a digital pic. Tried and tried and tried, but just couldn't get it to work.

I can program my VCR, though. That's something.

ah. high-5! i dont have a video cam either:( now i am not left out :P

edit: back to the OP, i cant volley myself, so i have no advice to give haha