PDA

View Full Version : Can Safin take down Federer on clay?

War, Safin!
05-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Head to Head - 0:3. However, it seems to me now that Safin has the tools to take down Federer on clay. What do you think?

(by the way, this thread is purely for Duzza in the 'pointless threads' department.
Take it away....Duzza! )

Taram_Nifas
05-09-2007, 12:12 PM
sigh the rivalry that never was Federer vs Safin...

tintin
05-09-2007, 01:28 PM
didn't Safin go down to a nobody last week on clay?

edmondsm
05-09-2007, 01:37 PM
sigh the rivalry that never was Federer vs Safin...

Yeah these guys were supposed to be doing battle for years. Why are we even asking this question? Safin couldn't carry Fed's gymbag.

Zverev
05-09-2007, 06:31 PM
Safin is probably done as tennis player.
Watched him playing Delic - nothing to watch there.
Horribly erratic on FH side, lateral movement to the right seems to be hindered - that's probably where error come from. You have to move well to hit shots.
My wife noticed very subtle limping, and me too, after careful observing.
He has refused that knee operation, which would end his career, instead he has just chosen slow death. Exactly what he said - couple of more years on tour.
The reason could be very simple - just to make some more cash before retiring. I don't think we should expect anything from him - it's just impossible.
Instead of watching his current matches I prefer to put tape - 2000 US final or 2005 AUS semis - jewels of Safin tennis.
(of course there are his other jewels, but I haven't taped them :-) )

aramis
05-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Safin, Ferrero, Guga. Sigh....

Now it's just boring Fed/Nadal every week, every year. Seriously, minus Canas, this year has been an exact carbon copy of last year.

federerfanatic
05-09-2007, 09:13 PM
Safin vs Federer on clay:

2002 Davis Cup-Federer wins 7-5, 6-1, 6-2. Safin's ranking at time-7. Federer's ranking at the time-13

2002 Hamburg final-Federer wins 6-1, 6-3, 6-4. Safin's ranking at time-5. Federer's ranking at the time-14

What does it look like the answer is. I particularly loved that Hamburg final. People were talking about how unbelievable Safin was playing all week, crushing everyone, even crushing World #1 Hewitt in the quarters(although Hewitt isnt a great clay courter obviously). Then Federer came out and gave us a glimpse of his future genuis, playing superlative tennis and demoralizing the previously red hot Safin with a stream of untouchable winners.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-09-2007, 09:14 PM
nope, federer cuts him down to pieces.

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Safin is done. No need for so many threads about a has been.

PrinceO3TourOS
05-09-2007, 09:46 PM
I think Safin never will win a match on Clay against Federer :mrgreen:
Safin chances against Federer are too little right now...

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Safin is done. No need for so many threads about a has been.

true, no more safin, roddick and gaudio, its all about fed and nadal!!!

Nadal_Freak
05-09-2007, 10:06 PM
true, no more safin, roddick and gaudio, its all about fed and nadal!!!
A thread about him once in a while is alright but 5 threads in the last couple of days is overkill. You would think he is the best player in the world or something.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-09-2007, 10:10 PM
A thread about him once in a while is alright but 5 threads in the last couple of days is overkill. You would think he is the best player in the world or something.

tell me about it.

SoBad
05-09-2007, 10:14 PM
nope, federer cuts him down to pieces.

Oh yes, like he did at AO2005, sure...:D

its all about fed and nadal!!!

tell me about it.

fed is toast

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Oh yes, like he did at AO2005, sure...:D

fed is toast

fed beat him in 2004 too, and safin sucked so bad that he didnt even get to play roger in the finals of 2007, him and his bum knee, LOL, fed is toast, and the other guys are toasted.

SoBad
05-09-2007, 10:28 PM
fed is toast

I am sorry for your loss. Maybe you can sell your naiky bandana on e-b-a-y to make up for it.

Phil
05-09-2007, 10:34 PM
Head to Head - 0:3. However, it seems to me now that Safin has the tools to take down Federer on clay. What do you think?

(by the way, this thread is purely for Deuce in the 'pointless threads' department.
Take it away....Deuce! )
What are these "tools" that you speak of?

SoBad
05-09-2007, 10:50 PM
What are these "tools" that you speak of?

The term "tools" is commonly used in tennis discussions to refer to a player's arsenal of superior shots (serve, forehand, backhand, volleys are some of the key shots in tennis) and other attributes of their game (e.g., quickness, court sense etc.) It appears that the original post was suggesting that Safin posesses the arsenal and other attributes to dominate other players, which is something most persons with tennis knowledge agree on.

Phil
05-09-2007, 11:05 PM
The term "tools" is commonly used in tennis discussions to refer to a player's arsenal of superior shots (serve, forehand, backhand, volleys are some of the key shots in tennis) and other attributes of their game (e.g., quickness, court sense etc.) It appears that the original post was suggesting that Safin posesses the arsenal and other attributes to dominate other players, which is something most persons with tennis knowledge agree on.

Ho, that's rich...you really have way too much time on your hands. Although the OP's post consisted of a single sentence, you seem to have MISSREAD (or maybe you couldn't read) the last half:
"...now that Safin has the tools to take down Federer on clay."

Now - Implies that he's acquired "new" or advanced tools that he did not possess until NOW.
Tools to take down Federer on clay - He's never got close before, so, again, I ask, what, NOW are these so-called tools.

That clear enough for ya, Brucie?

SoBad
05-09-2007, 11:20 PM
Ho, that's rich...you really have way too much time on your hands. Although the OP's post consisted of a single sentence, you seem to have MISSREAD (or maybe you couldn't read) the last half:
"...now that Safin has the tools to take down Federer on clay."

Now - Implies that he's acquired "new" or advanced tools that he did not possess until NOW.
Tools to take down Federer on clay - He's never got close before, so, again, I ask, what, NOW are these so-called tools.

That clear enough for ya, Brucie?

Lucie,

Your post indicated that you did not understand the term "tools" in the context of the game of tennis. I took the precious time to provide an explanation to you, as I often do to posters on this forum who lack understanding of the game. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your "post" quoted above, but I am guessing you are saying "thanks".

Kind regards,

SoBad

Phil
05-09-2007, 11:45 PM
Lucie,

Your post indicated that you did not understand the term "tools" in the context of the game of tennis. I took the precious time to provide an explanation to you, as I often do to posters on this forum who lack understanding of the game. I am not sure what you are trying to say in your "post" quoted above, but I am guessing you are saying "thanks".

Kind regards,

SoBad

I guess you missed the message again. No, I was trying to say, Try, as difficult as it may be, to improve your reading comprehension. This will go a long way in your understanding when you speak with your betters. Now, go back and cut some hair, fanboy.

SoBad
05-09-2007, 11:54 PM
I guess you missed the message again. No, I was trying to say, Try, as difficult as it may be, to improve your reading comprehension. This will go a long way in your understanding when you speak with your betters. Now, go back and cut some hair, fanboy.

Lucie,

Is is sad to see that after ten years of comitted trolling of a tennis forum you lack basic comprehension of relevant terminology and resist kind assistance with fury and ......

I suggest you.... hmm... don't know... you might be beyond help (that's sad).

Bye Lucie.

Phil
05-10-2007, 12:01 AM
Lucie,

Is is sad to see that after ten years of comitted trolling of a tennis forum you lack basic comprehension of relevant terminology and resist kind assistance with fury and ......

I suggest you.... hmm... don't know... you might be beyond help (that's sad).

Bye Lucie.

Hey, little guy, shouldn't you be in the 9/11 thread licking flies off of Stormholloway's back-you know, like the little birds and insects that flit around the large plains animals, licking their hides-I see you all the time, on the Discovery Channel.

Troll? I don't recall a sensible or substantial comment you've made-so, you better go look that one up too-it will be good for your reading comp. improvement goals. Get ye back to the hairsalon for a few trims. You're running late. And, the little kiddles are missin' ya in the word assoc. thread. Really, know thy place, little elfin guy...

SoBad
05-10-2007, 12:03 AM
Hey, little guy, shouldn't you be in the 9/11 thread licking flies off of Stormholloway's back-you know, like the little birds and insects that flit around the large plains animals, licking their hides-I see you all the time, on the Discovery Channel.

Troll? I don't recall a sensible or substantial comment you've made-so, you better go look that one up too-it will be good for your reading comp. improvement goals. Get ye back to the hairsalon for a few trims. You're running late. And, the little kiddles are missin' ya in the word assoc. thread. Really, know thy place, little elfin guy...

Hello again Lucie!

Isn't it time for your coo-koo?:confused:

Take care Lucie!:D

CEvertFan
05-10-2007, 03:00 AM
In a word, NO.

War, Safin!
05-10-2007, 08:46 AM
Hmmm....come to think of it, following this afternoon's match.....this thread wasn't entirely stupid afterall! :D

diegaa
05-10-2007, 09:02 AM
of course it isnt stupid. Federer is showing he is beatable, and safin when on is a superb player. so, sure, why not?

Tennis_Monk
05-10-2007, 03:25 PM
Safin can take down federer any given day.....Just that he cant do it on a Tennis court.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-16-2007, 02:01 AM
Let's hope Safin passes through Ferrero and we will soon have an answer for this question
well it's obvious Federer will pass through Monaco no? well only God knows though...

Haasquet
05-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Safin was once able to take down his own pants on clay. Then he got docked a point, so it wasn't really worth it...