PDA

View Full Version : OK, so I have a full 'western' grip on my forehand

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 03:27 PM
is that something I can really go nowhere with?? 3.0 / 3.5 gal, over 40...it works, I hit fairly flat, am working on topspin, but I am just wondering if it would be better to work with this, or go to that dad gum continental grip that my pro wants me to do...are there any 'normal' players out there making this grip work well for them?? I don't have enormous talent, but I work darned hard at it!!

FEDEX1
05-09-2007, 03:29 PM
i have use a western grip and it works well for me. Its really good for the high balls. I wouldnt use the continental grip for regular groundstrokes...but thats just me feels really weird

Amone
05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
I can say with relative confidence: If you're comfortable with it (IE, the Hawaiian may not be for everyone) and you're hitting solidly, then the specific way you do it, especially in the realm of grips, where a lot of it is entirely subjective, is fine.

Bottle Rocket
05-09-2007, 04:04 PM
If you're coach is telling you to use a continental grip on your forehand, you need to find a new coach. Don't listen to him.

A western grip is not going to be the easiest to progress with, but you're allowed to have your own style.

What is preventing you from being a solid 3.5 or higher?

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 04:13 PM
He did, today, let me hit it my way (western) and said it would be tougher to get under the ball, to get that topspin, seems I need to drop my wrist a bit to get the 'roll' over. Still wonder about that dropping the wrist bit...geez, seems they (pros) have a different take on it, but this grip change is hard, I think unless the grip is just terrible, I am better off adapting it in a way to GET that topspin, than starting completely over...I can edge it over a bit (the grip) maybe a compromise is in order...

as to why I am not better than a 3.5? My parents thought a musical little girl was a nice thing, so 12 years of piano later, and countless thousands spent on lessons that SHOULD have been TENNIS lessons, I am a very musical, tennis wanna-be!! (( IOW, just started too late!! But I am making up for lost time!)

OrangeOne
05-09-2007, 04:33 PM
He did, today, let me hit it my way (western) and said it would be tougher to get under the ball, to get that topspin, seems I need to drop my wrist a bit to get the 'roll' over.

I'm a little confused lovin'it....

A western-grip allows very easy access to topspin, in fact, it's hard to hit a 'flat' ball with a western grip.

A conti-grip is quite difficult to access topspin with, it can be done, but it's quite hard / awkward.

Most coaches would (thesedays) never aim for someone to use a continental grip on their forehand. Serve and Volleys? Absolutely. Slice backhand? Ok. But never flat or topspin groundstrokes....

Tell us more and many will try to help more...

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 05:02 PM
yes, that is what he called it, western, he pulled it over, rotated my hand counter clockwise to a semi western, and we worked there...I have tried to get that link that shows grips on this site, but it doesn't seem to be working...I know where I am, and what he called it, but maybe there is a kink in the link. Any easy explanation on grip?? or a link?? My head is spinning, but my ball isn't, apparently. thanks

OrangeOne
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
yes, that is what he called it, western, he pulled it over, rotated my hand counter clockwise to a semi western, and we worked there...I have tried to get that link that shows grips on this site, but it doesn't seem to be working...I know where I am, and what he called it, but maybe there is a kink in the link. Any easy explanation on grip?? or a link?? My head is spinning, but my ball isn't, apparently. thanks

Did a very quick search, found this link which seems ok.

http://www.waileatennis.com/grips.htm

Oh - are you a lefty? Because for a right-handed player, western to semi-western is clockwise when looked at from the perspective of the person holding the racquet. Anyways, have a look at the link, it might make this 'on the net' help easier....

Leoboomanu
05-09-2007, 05:10 PM
yaiks... we don't have to get under the ball to get topspin, or do we?

got me thinking too... hehehe

anyway... with continental you need to brush up...(i started with a Continental some time ago)...

with western, brush-up is almost/if not--- part of the stoke already...

what's with ur couch... is he 3.0 or something... or just old school...

no hard feelings coach... just my opinion...

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 05:12 PM
Grip Guide with Pictures
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showt...ght=grip+guide

this is what I have tried to get to work, I cut and pasted this from the second thread in this section on 'tennis tips/instruction", and it is not what it says it is....I hate to ask questions to what I know has already been discussed, but this link is no good and I would love some clear info on grips, I have been tempted to outline my hand on my racquet to keep it straight, in fact, I might if I can ever get it....what IS the preferred grip for ME (3.0/3.5 40+ mom, 12 - 15 hours of tennis a week, womens doubles) for all the shots, fh bh volleys, serve, I hit flat and hard and need that topspin to satisfy my need to hit hard and keep it in...and it IS a need!! not just a desire!!!!!

The Watchman
05-09-2007, 05:18 PM
Glad to hear of your passion for the game!

All the grips have pro's/con's - moving from eastern to semi-western to western, you are able to generate topspin more easily, but lose pace and penetration. Western grips allow you to handle high balls better at the cost of handling low balls. As other posters said, hardly anyone uses continental grips anymore and I'd be surprised if your coach is teaching you a continental grip forehand groundstroke. If he is, get another coach.

If he's moving you to semi-western or eastern, he's probably seeing if you can be consistent enough with those grips to give you the option of flattening out the ball if need be. As you get better, being able to flatten the ball out is really useful.

(I should know - I lost to a 16 year old kid with great wheels on the weekend because I couldn't flatten the ball out and get it past him. I use a Western grip.)

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 05:19 PM
orangeone, thanks for the link, I am printing it and will reply, I hate to say, but something might be up with my 'pro', and, dang it, I like him, love a man with a pony tail, but that is beside the point, let me evaluate this printout with the racquet in hand, and I will be back to you...

noobplayer
05-09-2007, 05:47 PM
i have a question, sry i might be hijacking this thread, but doesnt eastern and continental grips allow u to plow through the ball more to impart spin rather than the windshield wipers of sw and western? to me if u use more eastern or towards continental, the ball seems to have a bit more pace?

OrangeOne
05-09-2007, 06:00 PM
i have a question, sry i might be hijacking this thread, but doesnt eastern and continental grips allow u to plow through the ball more to impart spin rather than the windshield wipers of sw and western? to me if u use more eastern or towards continental, the ball seems to have a bit more pace?

A ball can be hit at the same pace, with the same spin, using any number of different grips, it's just the strokes will look different to one another.

Globally, grips have moved towards SW as a standard for FH production, and as you'll note with most pros, they have no problem generating pace. For most, it's finding a grip and a stroke that you can play well with.

lovin'it
05-09-2007, 06:52 PM
ok, after reading this link and holding my racquet, I have a eastern forehand grip on my forehand, the index knuckle on the #3, or right side larger bevel, 3 oclock on the clock, the face seems a little closed just holding the racquet. I am right handed. Western is cupping the racquet from underneath, don't know how anyone plays with this one...anyway, from this article, and for my game (coming into the net in doubles into a continental grip for volleys) it seems to be a good choice. Seem this semi western grip (one bevel down, around 4 oclock for the base knuckle of the index finger) is perhaps, preferred, but maybe for baseliner singles players. Seems I am at a good place with the eastern forehand grip for fh baseline stuff, then continental for volleys. Worry about bh later.

But the real issue is my pro trying to pull me to a continental to get more topspin...doesn't feel good, and doesn't make sense, at least accordng to this article...not to mention the dropping the wrist business. I guess I need to keep looking for a pro?? How do you handle this, or do you?? Do you just go on down the road, I don't care to teach him, or get anal about terms, but this, and the dropping the wrist business from last week just make me uncomfortable.

zapvor
05-09-2007, 07:30 PM
ok i just read this thread and realized you and your pro need to get it together. first, continental is very weird/old to me. but whatever you feel comfortable with is what you should do, not what someone else says. second, contiental means less topsin. western is the most topspin you can get. so your pro is wrong here.

Bottle Rocket
05-09-2007, 07:40 PM
It sounds like there are all kinds of things wrong with this situation...

If you're having success with an eastern forehand grip, you're doing fine. You can do whatever you want, that is not an unreasonable forehand grip. It seems like you realize there may be benfits to a semi-western, but you are doing what is right for your game. That's great.

A continental grip though, in my opinion, is unreasonable.

If you're coach thinks you will have trouble with low balls with an eastern grip and/or thinks you will get more top spin with a continental, your coach is an idiot. He shouldn't be coaching anybody.

Yes, continue your search for a teaching pro.

Then again, you did get eastern and western confused. Are you sure your coach is really asking you to try a continental forehand grip?

zapvor
05-09-2007, 07:41 PM
^yea because it sounds like you dont even know what grip is which

OrangeOne
05-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Seems I am at a good place with the eastern forehand grip for fh baseline stuff, then continental for volleys. Worry about bh later.

If you're comfy with eastern, then that's fine...

But the real issue is my pro trying to pull me to a continental to get more topspin...doesn't feel good, and doesn't make sense, at least accordng to this article...

No tennis coach should thesedays ever try and change someone from Eastern to Continental for groundstrokes, in my opinion (and I suspect the opinion of most) anyways.
I guess I need to keep looking for a pro?? How do you handle this, or do you?? Do you just go on down the road, I don't care to teach him, or get anal about terms, but this, and the dropping the wrist business from last week just make me uncomfortable.

You need to start searching I'm afraid, he really, really doesn't know his stuff. Grips are fundamental, any coach should know that much...

ok i just read this thread and realized you and your pro need to get it together.

To be fair, zap, the OP is paying a pro. It's not a matter of them both getting it together, it's simply a matter of a paid professional knowing their stuff. Unfortunately, this guy doesn't. Disappointing.

If only there was a way to tactfully say "I'm going elsewhere, and I suggest you study up a bit mate"... :|

zapvor
05-09-2007, 08:48 PM
To be fair, zap, the OP is paying a pro. It's not a matter of them both getting it together, it's simply a matter of a paid professional knowing their stuff. Unfortunately, this guy doesn't. Disappointing.

If only there was a way to tactfully say "I'm going elsewhere, and I suggest you study up a bit mate"... :|

yea you are right. but it seems like the poster doesnt know what he is talking about either. thats like me asking "so i am using sem-western, and i want to hit with more topspin, what should i do?" then edit and say"wait i dont know what grip i am using"

OrangeOne
05-09-2007, 09:01 PM
yea you are right. but it seems like the poster doesnt know what he is talking about either. thats like me asking "so i am using sem-western, and i want to hit with more topspin, what should i do?" then edit and say"wait i dont know what grip i am using"

Yeah, I can see where the confusion is that you're highlighting...

lovin'it
05-10-2007, 05:42 AM
"Then again, you did get eastern and western confused. Are you sure your coach is really asking you to try a continental forehand grip?"

Bottlerocket, I cut and pasted your response, and it echoed several others, in my defense, no, I don't know the names of the grips, I know where my grip is (knuckle of index on #3 bevel) but don't know the name of it, my pro called it 'western', so I assumed that was correct. Thanks to orangeone (I think) who posted the grip article I find out that according to this source, the grip I am using is called 'eastern forehand'. My pro had the name of continental correct, and was trying to get me to rotate one bevel counterclockwise from 'his so called western' to continental. Seems HE is the one who doesn't know the grip names, and the advise to move my grip from what it was, to continental is wrong. That is what I am asking...:). I don't have any need for the name of the grip, other than to convey to you experts what I am doing and where my pro is taking me. It felt so odd, and I felt comfortable the other way (with an eastern forehnad). So....my thread name is wrong, I don't have a western grip, just a confused pro. Call it a 'num-chuck' grip, I don't care :) , I just need to know how OPTIMALLY I should grip this racquet to best suit my game. :) ((ok, from all the happy faces, you know I am not trying to be difficult!!)) Sounds like I need a new pro. :(

ps60
05-10-2007, 09:20 PM
in our "club", there are lot of guys wanting to be someone's coach. They did some coaching b4. When they try to "coach" someone (maybe a new young girl) the first thing they said is, do what i do... "See, this is the right grip... , this is the right swing....".

IMO. Any coach saying that U can turn away immediately. Find a good one, who knows much more than his own game, his own style.

tricky
05-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Seems HE is the one who doesn't know the grip names, and the advise to move my grip from what it was, to continental is wrong.

Honestly, that's appalling. I would find a new coach immediately and even tell his other students to find somebody else. Completely unacceptable that any fee would go to a guy who can't differentiate grips.

zapvor
05-11-2007, 06:23 AM
"Then again, you did get eastern and western confused. Are you sure your coach is really asking you to try a continental forehand grip?"

Bottlerocket, I cut and pasted your response, and it echoed several others, in my defense, no, I don't know the names of the grips, I know where my grip is (knuckle of index on #3 bevel) but don't know the name of it, my pro called it 'western', so I assumed that was correct. Thanks to orangeone (I think) who posted the grip article I find out that according to this source, the grip I am using is called 'eastern forehand'. My pro had the name of continental correct, and was trying to get me to rotate one bevel counterclockwise from 'his so called western' to continental. Seems HE is the one who doesn't know the grip names, and the advise to move my grip from what it was, to continental is wrong. That is what I am asking... I don't have any need for the name of the grip, other than to convey to you experts what I am doing and where my pro is taking me. It felt so odd, and I felt comfortable the other way (with an eastern forehnad). So....my thread name is wrong, I don't have a western grip, just a confused pro. Call it a 'num-chuck' grip, I don't care :) , I just need to know how OPTIMALLY I should grip this racquet to best suit my game. :) ((ok, from all the happy faces, you know I am not trying to be difficult!!)) Sounds like I need a new pro. :(

lol yea ok now we have it straighten out. and i agree with you the names of the grips dont matter as much as actually knowing how to grip it correctly. in fact i wont even say any grip is wrong. just weird...and not weird:p

paulfreda
05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
OrangeOne
One of the nicest grip guides I have ever seen.
Excellent reference.
Thanks