PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Idea?

Anton
05-09-2007, 09:04 PM
For some reason thread heading like above generates most interest :D

Now then, I was watching some abc special on my computer while swinging my racket.

Now the reason for me doing that, is something that an open player told me today as I was showing my grip to him and his eyebrow raised - "Meh, eastern grip is old stuff, in todays game there is no time to take that long classic swing. Semi-western will serve you better in the long run. Full western is is not for you, it is taught at a very young age..and sometimes will necessitate a wrist surgery by about 19".

So I'm not just swinging the racket, I'm swinging it with semi-western grip, gauging it's hitting merits and comfort.

It seems that eastern swing is more naturally adapted to cross court angling of the ball, as it allows the wrist to rotate racket directly in front of you.

The more western grip is allowing the racket to be further behind the grip and on the side of the body, so it seems it would benefit a stroke to send the ball to the inside out.

Down to the idea: Use eastern grip for cross court, use semi-western for inside out shots.

Matt_MS
05-09-2007, 09:07 PM
So you typed that with 1 hand?!

Anton
05-09-2007, 09:12 PM
So you typed that with 1 hand?!

Well no, I actually typed that up with a racket's buttcap while very precisely manipulating the racket head's sides with both hands...but enough about that.

jasoncho92
05-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Too bad theres pros who use eastern grip. If im not mistaken Agassi did and so did Sampras

Anton
05-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Too bad theres pros who use eastern grip. If im not mistaken Agassi did and so did Sampras

Agassi and Sampras? Still Pros?

But really who cares, I'm not going to be a pro in this lifetime. Faster swing advantage may still stand, I'm just exploring a bit.

Voltron
05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I don't think it's a good idea, just get one grip and stick with it.

jasoncho92
05-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Agassi was just two years ago. And so your saying that youre playing against people who hit harder than who agassi and sampras played?

jasoncho92
05-09-2007, 09:45 PM
And henman who is still a pro uses it

Anton
05-09-2007, 09:47 PM
I don't think it's a good idea, just get one grip and stick with it.

Meh, I dunno, eastern grip for a slice and serve don't sound too good. ;)

Voltron
05-09-2007, 09:54 PM
^^^^^

Not what I meant.....

SFrazeur
05-09-2007, 10:02 PM
I am a believer in "the right tool for the right job" when it comes to grips. I believe this should apply for the use of spins, and hight of the ball your returning, and not direction related shot selection.

Also consider this: do you want to announce to your opponent which direction you are going to hit by your choice of griping? Not particularly.

Anton
05-10-2007, 05:56 AM
I am a believer in "the right tool for the right job" when it comes to grips. I believe this should apply for the use of spins, and hight of the ball your returning, and not direction related shot selection.

Also consider this: do you want to announce to your opponent which direction you are going to hit by your choice of griping? Not particularly.

So you use semi-western (or full?) for high spin shots?

origmarm
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
I wouldn't bother changing it if I were you between shots, if you do, go with it the whole time for consistency. I wouldn't view the eastern grip as a handicap

SlapShot
05-10-2007, 06:07 AM
I think that you really need to find the right grip and learn how to direct the ball with that grip. I played western through high school, moved flatter when I came back to the game (didn't play tennis much at all in college) and just recently went to SW. I've been working on placing my SW, and I've actually found that I have more trouble going inside out than I do hitting crosscourt angles with it.

Anton
05-10-2007, 06:27 AM
I think that you really need to find the right grip and learn how to direct the ball with that grip. I played western through high school, moved flatter when I came back to the game (didn't play tennis much at all in college) and just recently went to SW. I've been working on placing my SW, and I've actually found that I have more trouble going inside out than I do hitting crosscourt angles with it.

Hmm, are you using a closed position to start the swing? Sounds like you are too open/don't take the racket far back enough.

Well directing it is not a problem, it's just that my cross courts are very fast, heavy top spin and have big angle on them, but on the inside out shot the pace is FAR slower and I can't make as nice of an angle - though maybe the two are related - less spin, less speed and angle possible.

I guess I'll also try exaggerating the take back of the racket, so I can have more run up to hit the ball with the racket well behind the grip (facing very inside out)

SlapShot
05-10-2007, 06:33 AM
Hmm, are you using a closed position to start the swing? Sounds like you are too open/don't take the racket far back enough.

Well directing it is not a problem, it's just that my cross courts are very fast, heavy top spin and have big angle on them, but on the inside out shot the pace is FAR slower and I can't make as nice of an angle - though maybe the two are related - less spin, less speed and angle possible.

I guess I'll also try exaggerating the take back of the racket, so I can have more run up to hit the ball with the racket well behind the grip (facing very inside out)

I think in my case, it depends when I want to place the ball where my feet go. If I'm rallying back to the middle, I'm usually pretty open on my feet, but I close it up as I hit inside-out.

It's a matter of practicing the shot that you want to hit - plenty of people have had great success with a semi-western grip hitting all possible angles in a match.

grizzly4life
05-10-2007, 08:16 AM
i wouldn't go overboard on this, but i think i read that federer changes his grip on forehand depending on ball and desired result.... i too notice that eastern is better for cross-court and western better for down the line. maybe that's why semi-W is good, the best of both worlds??

mucat
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
It seems that eastern swing is more naturally adapted to cross court angling of the ball, as it allows the wrist to rotate racket directly in front of you.

It shouldn't be. If anything, the SW or W grip allow easier hitting of sharp xcourt shot because of easier generation of topspin. But the eastern grip can do that too, it just take more time to learn. IMO, you should find out why you hit xcourt better than DTL with eastern grip, the problem is definitely not the grip. Thinking about it, a little delay of the contact point you will have a DTL shot.

The more western grip is allowing the racket to be further behind the grip and on the side of the body, so it seems it would benefit a stroke to send the ball to the inside out.

I think it is not the grip, it is the timing of contact point.

Anton
05-11-2007, 06:54 AM
It shouldn't be. If anything, the SW or W grip allow easier hitting of sharp xcourt shot because of easier generation of topspin. But the eastern grip can do that too, it just take more time to learn. IMO, you should find out why you hit xcourt better than DTL with eastern grip, the problem is definitely not the grip. Thinking about it, a little delay of the contact point you will have a DTL shot.

I think it is not the grip, it is the timing of contact point.

sharp xcourt shot requires no more spin then a sharp inside out shot :)

Here is an experiment you can try:

1. Grab a racket and hold it firmly,
2. Now bend your wrist as far straight back as you can - the racket will now point about 45-60 degrees away from your shoulder and behind you (and is parallel to the floor).
3. Hold it there and now rotate the rackets handle in your hand until it's face is positioned about 45 degrees relative to the floor (about how it is supposed to meet the ball for topspin)

Now answer the question - what grip do you end up holding it with?

Andres
05-11-2007, 06:57 AM
Meh, I dunno, eastern grip for a slice and serve don't sound too good. ;)
Tell that to Boris Becker :mrgreen:

SFrazeur
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
So you use semi-western (or full?) for high spin shots?

My unusual grip if the semi-western. For high balls I use the semi-western grip. I have been experimenting with going slightly more western If I am closer in court. For low balls I use an eastern grip, if I do not think I can get to the balls by bending my knees.

Infiniteshadow
05-11-2007, 08:49 AM
I dont think its a good idea.

mucat
05-11-2007, 08:54 AM
sharp xcourt shot requires no more spin then a sharp inside out shot :)

I agree.

Here is an experiment you can try:

1. Grab a racket and hold it firmly,

What grip are you talking about here?

2. Now bend your wrist as far straight back as you can - the racket will now point about 45-60 degrees away from your shoulder and behind you (and is parallel to the floor).

Assuming you are talking about eastern grip here, if I hold up racket straight arm in front of me and laid back my wrist all the way, my racket can be parallel to the plane of my of body, not 45-60 degree away from the shoulder.Now, try rotation your wrist upward slightly so your racket is tilting upward a little bit, and try not laid back the wrist all the way, the plane of the racket face now is the same as what you describe in #3. IMO, this is a very important trick, it allows the eastern grip to handle high ball and generate spin just as good as SW grip, try it.

3. Hold it there and now rotate the rackets handle in your hand until it's face is positioned about 45 degrees relative to the floor (about how it is supposed to meet the ball for topspin)
Now answer the question - what grip do you end up holding it with?

Another way to go about this is, hold your racket with SW grip out in front like you described, then hold your racket there with your left hand and let go of your right hand, and re-grip the racket with eastern grip, again, the racket might need to tilt a little upward to be comfortable.

Now, you can use the eastern grip like a SW grip, plus you can slice with your grip.