PDA

View Full Version : looking for some low cost/online/book sources on how to improve??

Euphoria.Soul
05-09-2007, 10:04 PM
hey guys,

I am new to the sport. (well, I did play a few years ago but dropped it until recently).

I really want to improve from my current level (weak backhand, weak control, probably bad form too)

I may get some lessons but I think they are pretty costly. =(

What are some of the things I could do to up my game???

thanks so much for those helping!

Bagumbawalla
05-10-2007, 04:59 PM
Try the library. They have lots of selections and they are FREE.

cliff
05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Go to www.procomparetennis.net for free video clips of the pro's and loads of free aricles. You can learn loads from watching the worlds best players.

Bottle Rocket
05-11-2007, 01:51 PM
There are two books you should buy.

First, buy the book Tennis Mastery. It is one of othe most comprehensive tennis books I have ever seen. It covers every tennis stroke in great detail with tons of picturs. There is justifcation for everything. It doesn't just explain the right way, but explains the wrong way and the problems with it. It is a great reference and is unlike all other instructional/technique type books I have seen. Things are kept simple and clear while still maintaining all the details.

An added bonus is that the author hangs around this board.

The second is Winning Ugly by Brad Gilbert.

Anybody even a little serious about tennis should own Winning Ugly. It covers everything from match preparation, dealing with nerves, game plans, changing your game plan, protecting weaknesses, maximizing strengths, recognizing opportunities, and many other important aspects of the game. It explains how you can beat players that you shouldn't beat. It is very simple, very easy to read, and full of incredibly useful information. I read chapters out of it all the time and have probably read the whole book 5 times over... If not more. It has helped me tremendously. If nothing else, the book get get's you thinking about aspects of the game that you previously ignored.

As you improve, each section of the book will have new meaning for you.

I think both of these books can benefit players of almost all levels.

While you're waiting for those books to arrive, check out these free videos that cover all the basic strokes-->

http://www.videojug.com/tag/tennis

KTE89
05-11-2007, 05:17 PM
You might want to check out this website.

h t t p : / / w w w . t e n n i s m i n d g a m e . c o m / h o w - t o - p l a y -
t e n n i s . h t m l ? h o p = j c o 8 7 2

(I had spaces between the letters because it was censored out.)

I really wish I didn't have dial up because this looks really neat.

You should also check out hitechtennis.com. That's where I got the above link from.It's the best tennis website ever. I am a totally different player because of this site, which makes the sport so much more fun.

Lastly, I really like the DVD and book sold at t e n n i s g u r u . c o m. If you learn to hit that way, you'll be a better player in no time.

Good luck with your tennis! It's a great sport! :-D

KTE89
05-11-2007, 05:18 PM
oops! double post!

zapvor
05-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Try the library. They have lots of selections and they are FREE.

yea thats where i would go first. however, eventually for a sport like tennis, if you are serious about improving, i suggest getting lessons. assuming you get a good pro, its worth the money. there is so much that can go wrong that having someone there to correct and teach you the right way is pretty essential. but welcome back to the sport! and if you are in the mid-atlantic area, sign up for our chapter! i will be glad to help you out. but i suck haha