PDA

View Full Version : Who Wins First Slam? Djokovic or Murray?

WestNott
05-10-2007, 12:18 AM
I am very intrigued by these two young personalities. I believe they have more potential than Richard Gasquet to win the big one only because mentally they seem much fitter. I really feel like Djokovic has the edge in this department- he has the killer instinct as an attitude and his game is more aggressive, so in a best out of 5 set match for 2 weeks- he legs could be a lot fresher for the later rounds than Murray who is content rallying for awhile before taking someone out.

What are your takes??? Anybody besides these two?

Fedexeon
05-10-2007, 12:29 AM
You can include Tomas Berdych as well. I think he has alot of potential.

War, Safin!
05-10-2007, 12:39 AM
Novak Djokovic all the way.

slice bh compliment
05-10-2007, 12:48 AM
Djoko's got the edge for sure. But a lot happens between the ears during an actual Slam. This is why it is tough to forecast (and it is probably why, of all of the young guys not named Nadal, Baghdatis is the only one who has been to a Slam final).

I do not doubt Djoko's ability at all. The smart money is one him for sure. But I do think Berdych and Murray could also be candidates for the Oz or US Open within the next two years. I would really like to see Marko and Gasquet step it up, too, and earn the right to be mentioned in this sort of discussion.

Well, in any case, it will be tough, given the top two today and the dangerous players out there. But if there are enough Youzhnys and Canases to foil a top guy, then one of these kids can win a Slam by the end of this summer.

Funny how Gael Monfils would've been in the thick of a thread like this just a few months ago. Now, not really even on the radar. Makes you wonder.

DueSouth
05-10-2007, 12:59 AM
I think Murray can potentially win Wimbledon or the USO in year to come,but i think its more realistic that Djoka wins the USO or the AO before that happens.

caulcano
05-10-2007, 01:39 AM
I am very intrigued by these two young personalities. I believe they have more potential than Richard Gasquet to win the big one only because mentally they seem much fitter. I really feel like Djokovic has the edge in this department- he has the killer instinct as an attitude and his game is more aggressive, so in a best out of 5 set match for 2 weeks- he legs could be a lot fresher for the later rounds than Murray who is content rallying for awhile before taking someone out.

What are your takes??? Anybody besides these two?

Djoko first. But Murray ending up having more.

Baghdatis72
05-10-2007, 02:12 AM
Djokovic seems to be the first to win a Grand Slam from the 2 but it's still quite early with Federer and Nadal in the picture dominating all surfaces together. Also Djokovic seems to be good on all surfaces and he could win the Grand Slam in years to come.

Buuurnz
05-10-2007, 02:14 AM
Djokovic will win one first...probably next year on hard court is my prediction!

helloworld
05-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Murray is going to become another veteran from Britain and he's not going to win a slam either.

pound cat
05-10-2007, 02:56 AM
Murray is going to become another veteran from Britain and he's not going to win a slam either.

Unlike Djokovic Murray has serious issues with retaining his composure on the court. Safin does too, but he's a better player and completely pulls himself together when he's on a mission to win a slam.

Time will tell whether Murray can do this and will also tell how cimmitted he is to winning a Slam.

jelle v
05-10-2007, 04:22 AM
Imo.. Djokovic, no doubt. Djokovic is mentally stronger and has the mentallity to actually be a winner on a Grand Slam.

luke_1983uk
05-10-2007, 04:29 AM
my guess Murray but it will need to be when either or both federer and nadal are injured

jelle v
05-10-2007, 04:36 AM
my guess Murray but it will need to be when either or both federer and nadal are injured

Why do you think that? Murray is mentally really weak in my opinion. He wins too few tough matches I think and to win a Grand Slam, you need to be able to win those tough matches.

DueSouth
05-10-2007, 05:01 AM
Why do you think that? Murray is mentally really weak in my opinion. He wins too few tough matches I think and to win a Grand Slam, you need to be able to win those tough matches.

Dunno if you want to count them as 'tough' but he has won quite a few matches against the Top 10 in the last year. He's beaten Federer(Cin),took Nadal to a 5th set in the AO,Roddick(san jose,wimbledon),Davydenko(IW,Doha),Gonzalez(USO), Ljubicic(madrid),Haas(IW).
Then again to be fair,Djokovic has defeated top 10 players too,and has walked all over Murray in their last two meeting in IW(6-2,6-3) and Miami(6-1,6-0).
But you're right he doesnt have enough mental toughness, once he gets in a mood then he tends to stay like that,whereas djokovic doesnt let it bother him as much.

tenniskid3119
05-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Djokovic probrably USO or AO.

croatian sensation
05-10-2007, 08:27 AM
Djokovic!! He's a future #1 imo.

Ztalin
05-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Murray will be a slam contender in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never won a slam. He'll end up like Nalbandian.

Djokovic I could see winning multiple slams in his career. I think that he has the most potential of the young guys to have a very successful career.

I do not think that Gasquet will ever win a slam. Baghdatis will be a contender, but his potential is questionable. Berdych has a lot of potential.

Tchocky
05-10-2007, 08:33 AM
Djokovic is a better competitor than Murray. Their talent and skill level is about the same. I would have to go with Novak winning a Slam before Andy.

forzainter
05-10-2007, 08:36 AM
Murray will be a slam contender in the future, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never won a slam. He'll end up like Nalbandian.

Djokovic I could see winning multiple slams in his career. I think that he has the most potential of the young guys to have a very successful career.

I do not think that Gasquet will ever win a slam. Baghdatis will be a contender, but his potential is questionable. Berdych has a lot of potential.

speaking of nalbandian, why isnt he playing in rome?

Andres
05-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I don't think either one of them is still ready (fitness wise) to win seven 5-setters in a row. But I'll say Djokovic. At USO.

fastdunn
05-10-2007, 10:38 AM
Djokovic is a solid athelete. I'm sure he will have very successful career.

But somehow I feel like there is something missing from his game.
I feel like his is a stronger version of Hewitt.
I think he could be as successful as Hewitt.

I just don't see him as true potential to be one of the greats in history.

Ztalin
05-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Djokovic is a solid athelete. I'm sure he will have very successful career.

But somehow I feel like there is something missing from his game.
I feel like his is a stronger version of Hewitt.
I think he could be as successful as Hewitt.

I just don't see him as true potential to be one of the greats in history.

None of them will be a historic great. Djokovic, Berdych, Gasquet, Murray, and Baghdatis are not talented enough or athletic enough to achieve success like Roger, Agassi, etc. The only one that I see achieving success on par with Hewitt is Djokovic. Berdych could get close. And achieving Hewitt's success is a great feat in itself (#1 for 80 weeks or whatever it was).

tennishead93
05-10-2007, 12:17 PM
djoko usopen 08. if not 09

edmondsm
05-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I don't think that Murray is mentally stronger than Gasquet. In fact up until this spring, Gasquet was miles ahead of either of these guys.

Baghdatis72
05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Djokovic will win the first slam and it's going to be pretty sooner than expected I believe as he is the 2nd best player on hard courts imo and Federer seems to be a bit inconsistent this year and he isn't recovering.

david22
05-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Djokovic seems to be the first to win a Grand Slam from the 2 but it's still quite early with Federer and Nadal in the picture dominating all surfaces together. Also Djokovic seems to be good on all surfaces and he could win the Grand Slam in years to come.

i don t think he is really good on Grass....contrary to Gasquet for example