PDA

View Full Version : Why do folks dislike Rafael Nadal?

War, Safin!
05-10-2007, 02:01 PM
And his style of playing?
Seriously, I seem to notice a lot of negativity about the guy....?

Gugafan_Redux
05-10-2007, 02:13 PM
Because for most of us, and even most tour players, tennis is a game of lifelong learning and advancement, struggle and acquiring experience through repetiton, tinkering with frames, strings, tensions, fine-tuning our strokes, adjusting to conditions, surfaces, and opponents, tweaking diet and and fighting injury, always trying to strengthen mentally. Nadal, with his outsize guns, indefatigibility, and unconventional strokes, flies in the face of all this. To have achieved what he's achieved at his age, and have the game that he has without seeming to have fought for it or struggled to develop, at an age when he still picks his ***, makes his winning ways seem a little unjust. We feel cheated and envious.

kirbster123
05-10-2007, 02:17 PM
How can you say that he hasnt fought to get where he is? Are you his father? You dont know that he hasnt worked hard to get where he is. Does big guns mean you can play tennis? Your a little off ther bud.

tlm
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
A lot of people like nadal, he brings a whole new level of excitement to the game.A lot of the old farts dont like him becaouse they are still dreaming of a s+v type player, which rafa is not.

I have heard many reasons, the pants, the fist pumps, him taking to much time.But the biggest reason is he has wrecked the dreams of all the frontrunner fed fans.

They want to claim fed the best of all time but with nadal taking his f.O. away time after time+beating him in one final after another it ruins thier dream.You will hear a lot of reasons but believe me the biggest reasons are the ones i listed.

pmata814
05-10-2007, 02:19 PM
I wonder the same thing. I think he is one of the most exciting guys to watch on the tour...win or lose it doesn't matter. He fights for every ball as if it was championship point. He could be down 6-0 6-0 5-0 and he's still fighting. I just don't get it.

Caswell
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
Stalling between points, butt-picking, and the times when he goes over the top with the grunting.

It's nothing against him or his playing style. Like Sharapova and her stalling and shrieking, it just makes the matches less enjoyable to watch. I don't wish the guy any ill will.

dukemunson
05-10-2007, 02:22 PM
terrible clothes and annoying personality...the kind of guy you love to cheer against (like the Williams sisters and Kobe Bryant)

pow
05-10-2007, 02:25 PM
I personally think he's a great player, I know other people who thinks he's too cocky I guess from all the fist pumps and stuff.

Baghdatis72
Nadal is strong, fast and tireless with some wonderful shots in his arsenal. Many people hate him because they don't really know that he is a shy nice person in reality and because he has brought a new type of play into the game which opposes the boring and ancient serve and volley that so many tennis fans like.

Also he likes pinching his *** consistently, he makes strange faces when he serves and he poses his arms all the time but at least he is alive compared to some players who look like they are doing something they don't actually enjoy and they want to get over with it.

kingdaddy41788
terrible clothes
annoying personality
consistent ***-picking (seriously, it needs to stop)

that's about it.

forzainter
05-10-2007, 02:27 PM
everybody has different routines, thats just his personality, i personally think nadal is great and federer is boring, different personalities will also like different players. (i like his clothing style too)

vive le beau jeu !
you'll find many there. :)
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1117590&highlight=butt+fist#post1117590

ATXtennisaddict
I think Nadal's an awesome player. I used to not like his style of play but recently i've realized I really DO like the way he plays.

janipyt05
05-10-2007, 02:34 PM
Because for most of us, and even most tour players, tennis is a game of lifelong learning and advancement, struggle and acquiring experience through repetiton, tinkering with frames, strings, tensions, fine-tuning our strokes, adjusting to conditions, surfaces, and opponents, tweaking diet and and fighting injury, always trying to strengthen mentally. Nadal, with his outsize guns, indefatigibility, and unconventional strokes, flies in the face of all this. To have achieved what he's achieved at his age, and have the game that he has without seeming to have fought for it or struggled to develop, at an age when he still picks his ***, makes his winning ways seem a little unjust. We feel cheated and envious.

not his fault his got the talent, its ok for Fed to be flaweness man please. Rafa's game is much harder on the eye then most of the players so it would suggest he had to work twice as hard to get anything going. Having to prove himself so many times... people are people we all have players that we like and dislike some of it way to childish but that's what it is. Its not big deal because while they hate, rafa will keep getting paid for it while people stand still talking smack about it.

edmondsm
05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Nadal's strokes are ugly, his antics offputting, his bravado annoying, and his game is gimmicky. You don't get called a topspin monkey by having a varied and creative approach to tennis.

caesar66
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
I just dont like or identify with his game/style of play. I get annoyed by the time he takes on serve and his constant fist pumps. That said, Anyone who reads transcripts of his interviews or sees them on tv can easily see that, even at his young age, he's beyond his years with maturity and has a genuine love of the game and respect for other players. I dont like his "style", but I do like nadal. He's a credit to our sport. And this comes from a fedfan, who wants to see Fed win everything. Theres no reason to outright hate or be jealous of nadal though, who is stand up and good for tennis in his own right.

forzainter
05-10-2007, 02:41 PM
most people wish they could generate topspin like him

Teh_pwnerer
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM
Simple... because he PWNS..

seriously i think most people who call him a monkey or just hate him overall are fed fans or racist people.. i bet that if the number 1 player was a mexican people would come up with so many names and reasons to hate him, but nadal doesnt care, hes going to be 21, has more money than you will ever have and hes still gonna get more.. hes got a lot of future and, he doesnt care about what we say lol

FitzRoy
05-10-2007, 02:47 PM

I think we can pretty much throw this reasoning out entirely. Why am I confident in saying this? Because the "most of us" that Gugafan refers to (IE, most who have a strong dislike for Nadal) also seem to have a strong positive opinion of Federer. Yet is there anyone who would say that they think Federer works harder than Nadal? To me, there isn't a single player who seems to have the game come more naturally to them than Roger Federer. By Gugafan's rationale, Federer should be more hated than Nadal.

I happen to think that both Federer and Nadal have fantastic games. I also happen to think that BOTH Federer and Nadal have worked incredibly hard on said games, and are reaping justified rewards. No one can play at the level that these two play at without having "fought for it or struggled to develop". Nadal may not seem like it because he muscles the ball more than anyone, and because he's so young, and Federer may not seem like it because he's so graceful and fluid, but both of them have put in a lot of time to get there. How much? I'd say their entire lives. That's long enough for me.

Teh_pwnerer
05-10-2007, 02:48 PM
I just dont like or identify with his game/style of play. I get annoyed by the time he takes on serve and his constant fist pumps. That said, Anyone who reads transcripts of his interviews or sees them on tv can easily see that, even at his young age, he's beyond his years with maturity and has a genuine love of the game and respect for other players. I dont like his "style", but I do like nadal. He's a credit to our sport. And this comes from a fedfan, who wants to see Fed win everything. Theres no reason to outright hate or be jealous of nadal though, who is stand up and good for tennis in his own right.

ur the best fedfan out there..

edmondsm
05-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Simple... because he PWNS..

seriously i think most people who call him a monkey or just hate him overall are fed fans or racist people.. i bet that if the number 1 player was a mexican people would come up with so many names and reasons to hate him, but nadal doesnt care, hes going to be 21, has more money than you will ever have and hes still gonna get more.. hes got a lot of future and, he doesnt care about what we say lol

How do you derive racism out of this? What a pathetic conclusion to come to. Can I just not like somebody's game and not be labeled a racist please? I don't like Chinese fingercuffs. Does that mean I hate Chinese people?

I'm sure if Nadal read your post he would ask you to not be a fan of his anymore.

Fries-N-Gravy
05-10-2007, 02:59 PM
am i the only person who enjoys watching both Nadal and Federer? i think its great that theres so much drama and great beginning of a rivalry in which the French is at stake for Nadal and trying to get the others and Fed vice versa

Teh_pwnerer
05-10-2007, 03:15 PM
How do you derive racism out of this? What a pathetic conclusion to come to. Can I just not like somebody's game and not be labeled a racist please? I don't like Chinese fingercuffs. Does that mean I hate Chinese people?

I'm sure if Nadal read your post he would ask you to not be a fan of his anymore.

the racist thing is about the "monkey" thing...

FitzRoy
05-10-2007, 03:17 PM
am i the only person who enjoys watching both Nadal and Federer? i think its great that theres so much drama and great beginning of a rivalry in which the French is at stake for Nadal and trying to get the others and Fed vice versa

No, you aren't the only one. I always look forward to encounters between the two. To me, epic matches between the top players are the best part of being a viewer of tennis.

skip1969
i just love these threads asking people to explain or justify something as irrational as 'liking' or 'not liking' someone. i mean, can you imagine gathering up all the people at our jobs or at school, and asking them, "why don't some of you like me? please elaborate." crazy!

there are always people we like, those we dislike . . . sometimes the feeling is based on some logical thing, oftentimes it's not. you just go with it. i bet we don't even give it much thought most of the time. even when it concerns the guy who sits in the desk next to us five days a week or someone we interact with regularly. and yet, we are supposed to be able to understand why we dislike a tennis player, someone we don't even know, a COMPLETE STRANGER?

ok then. i'm sure nadal's a nice guy and all (i will give him the benefit of the doubt as i do to most people i don't actually know). i just don't like his strokes. or his on-court habits. that's all. i've watched tennis since i was a kid and fallen in love with players (male or female) who either i wanted to play like . . . or were left-handed. although nadal is left-handed, i don't wish to pattern my game after his. therefore, he's out.

somehow, i doubt he's losing any sleep over it.

All Courts
With the ***-picking, fist-pumping, ***-picking, bicep flex posing, ***-picking, lolly-gaging during his service game, ***-picking and total unnecessary "grunting" aside, he seems like a nice, soft spoken and modest guy.

Did I mention ***-picking? Seriously, it does seem a little rude to dig up in there, then fondle the tennis ball and serve it up to your opponent with the same hand.

That also aside, he has some awesome shots in his arsenal and pulls off some amazing athletic feats and I'm glad he's in the game of tennis.

FitzRoy
05-10-2007, 03:18 PM
I think that the fixation of posters here on the "***-picking" is more immature than the act itself.

Kevin T
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm definitely not a fan of his playing style, clothing or stalling between points, but I totally respect him as an athlete and a fighter. He always seems to give 100%, seems very mature for his age and obviously loves tennis. And though I hope Roger wins the French and breaks the all-time Slam record, I love the fact that he is a riddle for Fed to solve.

Zaragoza
05-10-2007, 03:20 PM
I think the question is implying something that is not right. Nadal has lots of fans over the world, he is admired by many people, he is respected by tennis players and every young player needs to look up to him, he is a reference.
He is humble and correct on and off the court, really mature for his age, and he never underestimates his opponents. Anyway you cannot expect a top player to donīt be disliked by some people but they are not the majority. Also, it doesnīt tell me too much if many people from this board dislike him. Itīs more accurate to look at the tennis courts over the world : with the exception of the French Open crowd you can see he is admired and respected by most of the fans.

All Courts
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
I think that the fixation of posters here on the "***-picking" is more immature than the act itself.

I don't think anyone really fixates on the aforementioned ***-picking -- I mean it's *really* hard to miss, as is the "grunting". (Who came up with the stupid idea of calling it grunting anyway? A grunt is an escape of breath, most tennis grunters are forcing that.)

That being said, the keeling is more annoying to me than the wedgie-picking; I just can't believe how often he does it in front of an audience. I guess he feels comfortable, which is cool and good for him -- must be relaxed.

FitzRoy
05-10-2007, 03:30 PM
I don't think anyone really fixates on the aforementioned ***-picking -- I mean it's *really* hard to miss, as is the "grunting". (Who came up with the stupid idea of calling it grunting anyway? A grunt is an escape of breath, most tennis grunters are forcing that.)

That being said, the keeling is more annoying to me than the wedgie-picking; I just can't believe how often he does it in front of an audience. I guess he feels comfortable, which is cool and good for him -- must be relaxed.

I only call it a fixation because I've seen it mentioned more times than I can count by numerous posters. It's always one of the first things anyone says when they say that they dislike Nadal. If someone asks, "Why do you dislike Nadal?" and the first thing that comes to mind is his habit of adjusting his underwear, jockstrap, or whatever it is, then I think that's something of a fixation. Sure, I notice that he does it, but I just don't think about it. It's not something I pay any attention to. And for that matter, I'm probably through talking about it. ;)

All Courts
05-10-2007, 03:32 PM
I only call it a fixation because I've seen it mentioned more times than I can count by numerous posters. It's always one of the first things anyone says when they say that they dislike Nadal. If someone asks, "Why do you dislike Nadal?" and the first thing that comes to mind is his habit of adjusting his underwear, jockstrap, or whatever it is, then I think that's something of a fixation. Sure, I notice that he does it, but I just don't think about it. It's not something I pay any attention to. And for that matter, I'm probably through talking about it. ;)

Ah, good, thought you might be getting fixated, yourself ;)

edberg505
05-10-2007, 03:42 PM
A lot of people like nadal, he brings a whole new level of excitement to the game.A lot of the old farts dont like him becaouse they are still dreaming of a s+v type player, which rafa is not.

I have heard many reasons, the pants, the fist pumps, him taking to much time.But the biggest reason is he has wrecked the dreams of all the frontrunner fed fans.

They want to claim fed the best of all time but with nadal taking his f.O. away time after time+beating him in one final after another it ruins thier dream.You will hear a lot of reasons but believe me the biggest reasons are the ones i listed.

Well, I happen to think he's a pretty cool guy but I cannot stand his tennis. I could care less about what his record is against Federer. It's the way he gets his wins against Federer and anyone else on the court that I can't stand. Run down and return every ball until the other person makes a mistake. Not my kind of tennis. Now if someone like Safin (if he could ever get his head straight) would take it to Federer by hitting him off the court, and challenging his journey to tennis immortality, that would be great. That kind of tennis I like seeing and not having it come down to who makes the least amount of errors. Heck I even enjoyed watching Nalbandian take to Fed last FO. It's the very same reason I couldn't stand Michael Chang.

edberg505
05-10-2007, 03:49 PM

Ok, please show me on this list where monkey is a racial slur directed towards Spaniards.

http://www.rsdb.org/search?q=porch+monkey&sort=slur

By the way, I don't really think it's ok to call anyone a monkey except maybe George Bush.

keithchircop
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM
it's not that i don't like nadal, it's that i totally dislike his worshippers.

i think his fans make a REALLY big deal about him being currently unbeatable on clay. like that makes him a legitimately better player than federer or whoever else he loses against on other surfaces. some even state that he's the GOAT because of his record on clay. the media makes such a big deal out of this as well. every time nadal wins a match on clay it's in the news: "nadal's winning streak on clay has reached an amazing [insert number here] matches !!!". the current no 1 only makes it to the news if he wins a grand slam or loses a match. how pathetic is that?

i myself didn't expect nadal to make it to the 2006 wimbledon final. he surprised me and gained a lot of my respect. he's too cocky for my liking, but he's alright.

{btw, i'm not a fed fan. i like 2HBHers safin and nalbandian}

edmondsm
05-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Monkey is racist when refering to black people, not Spanish. I call Bush a chimp all the time, it doesn't have anything to do with race.

edmondsm
05-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Ok, please show me on this list where monkey is a racial slur directed towards Spaniards.

http://www.rsdb.org/search?q=porch+monkey&sort=slur

By the way, I don't really think it's ok to call anyone a monkey except maybe George Bush.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

tennishead93
05-10-2007, 03:54 PM
How can you say that he hasnt fought to get where he is? Are you his father? You dont know that he hasnt worked hard to get where he is. Does big guns mean you can play tennis? Your a little off ther bud.
for all we know he may be his father.:confused:

poplar
05-10-2007, 03:55 PM
I really like the offcourt nadal. he always seems so modest and respectful. I especially like his shy smile. but whenever he gets on court, another nadal shows up. this discrepance in personality has always puzzled me. anyone else feels the same way?

TheNatural
05-10-2007, 05:38 PM
Simply beacuse he started beating a lot of peoples favourite players.

Baghdatis72
05-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I really like the offcourt nadal. he always seems so modest and respectful. I especially like his shy smile. but whenever he gets on court, another nadal shows up. this discrepance in personality has always puzzled me. anyone else feels the same way?

It's common among people who are professionals and need to look mentally strong and solid to have a different personality on the job than they have in real life and away from the cameras. The difference though is very striking indeed! :o

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-10-2007, 07:39 PM
people hate roger and raffy because they are too good

idiotboy
05-10-2007, 07:56 PM
Heavy Metal Tennis Star - where have your heavy metal star avatars gone??!! I used to be in awe of the big fuzzy hair, the makeup, the pretty boy looks. When someone like that speaks - you just have to believe what they are saying. Now you have a boring old fed and rafa pic.

You know - I really used to look up to you.:-(

ATXtennisaddict
05-10-2007, 08:48 PM

he's just a competitor and winner out there. I am the same way, I can be a nice off it, but don't expect me to be sweet on court.

One of the reasons I like Nadal was because of his off-court personality as well.

Larry123
05-10-2007, 08:55 PM
First of all, I don't agree with the topic of this thread. Because I find that so many people throughout the world love him like anything that even his flaws go unrecognized. In fact he has many more fans than Federer or Sampras or Agassi ever had. Only a very few people like me dislike him.

I dislike him because I cannot stand his extreme celebrations and fist pumps. Why not he kindly calm down and cut down his celebtrations? In the interviews, he projects like a very simple person but the way he celebrates on court is not simple at all. His oncourt personality and celebrations are the most pompous that I have seen. How hipocritical is what he speaks in the interviews? In fact, I wonder how do so many people admire his actions and celebrations. I am in a big minority.

Secondly, my views may be different but I have a love for aesthetic and fluid game rather than power and intense. I enjoy watching elegance than intensity. I will be the most happy if the old serve and volley game makes a come back and more so if the wooden racket reapperas. Nadal plays his tennis like a battle. Also I personally feel Nadal's personality is very rude and unfriendly.

Coming to Nadal's modesty, I don't see anything special in that. No body would needlessly disrespect anybody. It's not wise also because it would land them in trouble. By that angle, even Roddick, Davydenko, Gonzalez, Djokovic and Berdych are all very modest. I haven't seen them seriously disrespect anybody (may be they said something for joke). But considering that they are much calm, simple and humble even on the court while playing (They dont celebrate like Nadal after each and every point), I feel that the above list of people deserve much greater appreciation for their modesty than Nadal.

I also feel that Nadal's fist pumps and celebrations are unfortunately not recieving as much dislike and condemnation as it deserves. I am sure that such intense fist pumps will definitely make any opponent feel uncomfortable and mentally affect his opponent. In fact, it is one of the unfair advantage that Nadal has over other players. It's like an abuse to his opponents. Yes, dont be angry on me for stating my sincere feelings, I feel Nadal is abusive and is a perfect sadist. He derives huge pleasure by hurting and abusing his opponents by these celebrations and fist pumps. But unfortunately many people encourage it. Where did Nadal's famous modesty disappear when he abused Berdych at Spanish open and even influenced the entire Spanish crowd to abuse him so that he (Nadal) can win the match by hook or crook. But when Berdych put his finger on his lips in revolt, he was condemned by the media as though it was a big crime. How worse can a double standard be? Where is the justice in this world? One standard for rich and one standard for the poor. How unfortunate is that? When rich man like Nadal does so many bad things, it is always ignored but when a poor guy like Berdych does even a minute protest, it is always magnified by the society. It is an evil world where dirty politics and money raises it's ugly head.

I feel Nadal is the biggest benefactor in tennis world today because of people like those in this forum who worship whatever he does.

So I feel the topic of this thread should be changed to "What do folks love Nadal and always show him special favoritism and affection?".

jmsx521
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
I enjoy his style, super-fighter-game, charisma... but the butt-picking brings his value down a lot!

Noveson
05-10-2007, 09:27 PM
First of all, I don't agree with the topic of this thread. Because I find that so many people throughout the world love him like anything that even his flaws go unrecognized. In fact he has many more fans than Federer or Sampras or Agassi ever had. Only a very few people like me dislike him.

I dislike him because I cannot stand his extreme celebrations and fist pumps. Why not he kindly calm down and cut down his celebtrations? In the interviews, he projects like a very simple person but the way he celebrates on court is not simple at all. His oncourt personality and celebrations are the most pompous that I have seen. How hipocritical is what he speaks in the interviews? In fact, I wonder how do so many people admire his actions and celebrations. I am in a big minority.

Secondly, my views may be different but I have a love for aesthetic and fluid game rather than power and intense. I enjoy watching elegance than intensity. I will be the most happy if the old serve and volley game makes a come back and more so if the wooden racket reapperas. Nadal plays his tennis like a battle. Also I personally feel Nadal's personality is very rude and unfriendly.

Coming to Nadal's modesty, I don't see anything special in that. No body would needlessly disrespect anybody. It's not wise also because it would land them in trouble. By that angle, even Roddick, Davydenko, Gonzalez, Djokovic and Berdych are all very modest. I haven't seen them seriously disrespect anybody (may be they said something for joke). But considering that they are much calm, simple and humble even on the court while playing (They dont celebrate like Nadal after each and every point), I feel that the above list of people deserve much greater appreciation for their modesty than Nadal.

I also feel that Nadal's fist pumps and celebrations are unfortunately not recieving as much dislike and condemnation as it deserves. I am sure that such intense fist pumps will definitely make any opponent feel uncomfortable and mentally affect his opponent. In fact, it is one of the unfair advantage that Nadal has over other players. It's like an abuse to his opponents. Yes, dont be angry on me for stating my sincere feelings, I feel Nadal is abusive and is a perfect sadist. He derives huge pleasure by hurting and abusing his opponents by these celebrations and fist pumps. But unfortunately many people encourage it. Where did Nadal's famous modesty disappear when he abused Berdych at Spanish open and even influenced the entire Spanish crowd to abuse him so that he (Nadal) can win the match by hook or crook. But when Berdych put his finger on his lips in revolt, he was condemned by the media as though it was a big crime. How worse can a double standard be? Where is the justice in this world? One standard for rich and one standard for the poor. How unfortunate is that? When rich man like Nadal does so many bad things, it is always ignored but when a poor guy like Berdych does even a minute protest, it is always magnified by the society. It is an evil world where dirty politics and money raises it's ugly head.

I feel Nadal is the biggest benefactor in tennis world today because of people like those in this forum who worship whatever he does.

So I feel the topic of this thread should be changed to "What do folks love Nadal and always show him special favoritism and affection?".

There are a few things I agree with in this post, I also like elegant and fluid games, especially in Tennis and Basketball. For me though, sometimes there is a need for raw earthshattering power:D Fluidity is very fun to watch, but sometimes I would rather watch something very intense and powerful, his tennis game reminds me of march madness(greatest sporting event of all time). Really though favoritism and affection? Federer is the one constantly called the GOAT and whenever the best at anything is brought up, you can bet his name will be in there.

In every sport there are the people that dislike celebrations. I understand you don't like an opponent celebrating, but these same people usually like when THEIR player celebrates. I can see people whining about sports like basketball and football where players excessively celebrate just to rub it in their opponents face. In tennis though this isn't near as much of a problem. Nadal's fist pumps just show the crowd how hard he is fighting, and how much he loves tennis.

Gilgamesh
05-10-2007, 09:34 PM
The media makes such a big deal out of this as well. every time nadal wins a match on clay it's in the news: "nadal's winning streak on clay has reached an amazing [insert number here] matches !!!". the current no 1 only makes it to the news if he wins a grand slam or loses a match. how pathetic is that?

It is the clay season you know? What else are they supposed to talk about? I don't hear anything about Nadal's clay streak during the grass or hardcourt season. Plus during clay season all the news is focused on Nadal because he WINS.

Federer is in the news a lot. How about all those Tiger Woods he is now my best buddy mentions? Federer is in the news way more than Nadal once you factor in an entire season and rightfully so because when it comes to hardcourts and grass all Federer does is win. Winning will put you in the news. Federer losing is also big news since for the last 3 years he hardly ever loses.

rafan
05-10-2007, 10:58 PM
I gave up watching tennis, which I loved ,years ago when it seemed to be one long what I call "thrash". The survival of the big boy who could serve the hardest hit the hardest with a predictable outcome. Then after watching Nadal play for the first time I detected a sort of humour had crept back into the game. Nadal was more like an Indiana Jones character - hanging on with all his might to get to the final set - and even today on court we cannot be sure he will win - but that is the essence of this great young player - he is never boring. The contrast of this incredible bull like character on court to the shy young kid who appears at his press conferences is fascinating - I hope we see much much more of this truly great colourful and talented player.

Larry123
05-10-2007, 11:17 PM
In tennis though this isn't near as much of a problem. Nadal's fist pumps just show the crowd how hard he is fighting, and how much he loves tennis.

I do not understand you. How in Tennis alone, the opponent wont get hurt? Nadal's opponents will definitely feel very disturbed when he celebrates like that. No other player celebrates like that. And even if you are fighting hard and even if you love tennis very much, I think there is no need to celebrate like that. Do you mean to say that players other than Nadal are not fighting for their victories and do not love Tennis? For example, even Davydenko is a great fighter and works very hard to maintain his ranking though he is not physically built like Nadal.

Nadal_Freak
05-10-2007, 11:21 PM
I do not understand you. How in Tennis alone, the opponent wont get hurt? Nadal's opponents will definitely feel very disturbed when he celebrates like that. No other player celebrates like that. And even if you are fighting hard and even if you love tennis very much, I think there is no need to celebrate like that. Do you mean to say that players other than Nadal are not fighting for their victories and do not love Tennis? For example, even Davydenko is a great fighter and works very hard to maintain his ranking though he is not physically built like Nadal.
Nadal plays with more passion than everyone except maybe Canas who I feel matches it. No matter what the score Nadal is battling hard. Players like Blake don't show that same passion but rely more on their talent to win.

Larry123
05-10-2007, 11:22 PM
I gave up watching tennis, which I loved ,years ago when it seemed to be one long what I call "thrash". The survival of the big boy who could serve the hardest hit the hardest with a predictable outcome. Then after watching Nadal play for the first time I detected a sort of humour had crept back into the game. Nadal was more like an Indiana Jones character - hanging on with all his might to get to the final set - and even today on court we cannot be sure he will win - but that is the essence of this great young player - he is never boring. The contrast of this incredible bull like character on court to the shy young kid who appears at his press conferences is fascinating - I hope we see much much more of this truly great colourful and talented player.

Nadal is neither colourful nor humorous. His game cannot be mentioned in the same line as humor. His game is like a battle and his personality is like a merciless slaughterer. I do not understand what fun or humor people find in his game. It is like watching a ruthless slaughter in a fierece battle field. No way related to fun or humor.

rafan
05-10-2007, 11:49 PM
This is about a game - not a war for heavens sake !! Not to be taken so seriously - also not a colluseum - it's only a tennis court.

Larry123
05-11-2007, 12:56 AM
This is about a game - not a war for heavens sake !! Not to be taken so seriously - also not a colluseum - it's only a tennis court.

I too know that tennis is just a sport and not a war. But Nadal makes it look like a war. Nadal converts tennis court into a battle field. His appearance is totally scary and unfriendly. His looks are like "I am going to kill you.". His fierce on court personality resembles a merciless destroyer. His aggressive fist pumps send the following message to the opponent "See I have won the battle aginst you loser." Watching Nadal's game is like watching a slaughter. I wonder how can anyone enjoy it. You can find such an intensity only on a war front. I dont know how people find Nadal funny. He is always serious and his only aim is to win each and every point. He does not have any sense of humor or fun or mercy and he never jokes at anytime. His mind is only about winning, winning and winning and nothing else and too in a totally merciless and ruthless way. Seriously it is like a war when Nadal plays and that is how Nadal and his fans want it to be.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2007, 01:20 AM
I too know that tennis is just a sport and not a war. But Nadal makes it look like a war. Nadal converts tennis court into a battle field. His appearance is totally scary and unfriendly. His looks are like "I am going to kill you.". His fierce on court personality resembles a merciless destroyer. His aggressive fist pumps send the following message to the opponent "See I have won the battle aginst you loser." Watching Nadal's game is like watching a slaughter. I wonder how can anyone enjoy it. You can find such an intensity only on a war front. I dont know how people find Nadal funny. He is always serious and his only aim is to win each and every point. He does not have any sense of humor or fun or mercy and he never jokes at anytime. His mind is only about winning, winning and winning and nothing else and too in a totally merciless and ruthless way. Seriously it is like a war when Nadal plays and that is how Nadal and his fans want it to be.
Even though it is just a sport you gotta expect players to go all out because they don't want to lose. Nadal is very competitive which I think you mistakened as a war-like attitude. I wouldn't know what a war is like anyways but these matches Nadal has trained his whole life for so it does mean a lot to win. I don't see anything wrong with that. Nadal's humor is off the court but it is all business once the match starts.

rafan
05-11-2007, 01:39 AM
Nadal is never abusive - his gladiator stance is just that - an act. Think back to the players who have been verbally abusive - we can think of many. In fact he is really a very good sportsman - especially after the Murray/Nadal match in Australia whereby he was very comforting to Murray when it was over - boosting his moral. He has incredible self discipline for his age which is an excellent example not to just tennis players of the future but to many of us.

CEvertFan
05-11-2007, 01:40 AM
When Nadal beats Federer on grass at Wimbledon and on hard courts at the AO or US Open then everyone can start to say he owns Federer. Until that time comes however...

I would have to say that I like Nadal even though I am not a fan per se, but I must admit that he is exciting to watch and he definitely is a great clay court player.

War, Safin!
05-11-2007, 02:34 AM
But doesn't Nadal just play with the following:
* solid baseline game
* heavy topspin serves / groundstrokes
* great passing shots
* athletic speed around the court

Hmmmm....remind me of someone else, who back in the 1970s played exactly like this, was adored by all and became a contender for 'The G.O.A.T'. ;)

Gugarocks
05-11-2007, 03:07 AM
Last year when the French Open started, there was an interview with Nadal.

Interviewer : " Well Rafa, the French Open will last one day longer this year because it starts one day earlier. What is your opinion on this ? "

Nadal : " I don't like it. I have to play one day longer but they don't give me more prize money ... "

:mad: :mad: :mad:

The guy makes a million dollars winning the Open and he's complaining about this one extra day ...

CanadianChic
05-11-2007, 03:28 AM
I really like watching Nadal play - his energy is explosive, so much passion in every stroke he makes. Some people are jealous...simple. When the only thing they have to pick apart are personal qualities, completely unrelated to his actual game, it becomes very apparent that the little green man is doing the talking. IMO.

rafan
05-11-2007, 03:49 AM
How many people in this world would work say and extra day for nothing. This tennis game is not just a 9 to 5 job - tomorrow they could be right out of the game. He deserves his million dollars - far more than the football players do in the UK here who never win the cup and live a charmed life.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-11-2007, 03:57 AM

I like to read this thread so much and I cannot help from laughing when reading some posts that criticizes Nadal's celebrations! :p

I pick this quote as it is the one I like most to read and yes the one that matches the reason why I like to watch and support this young player

You never know if he will win or not all he wants you to do is to watch him and LIVE the whole match with him!!

Sometimes he lets his opponent gets some advantages then he comes back for winning the whole game and the whole match... to remind "no I am the master"
This is my impression (a wrong one maybe but I like to think this must have been right for few times though I don't know when exactly :p :p )

helloworld
05-11-2007, 04:18 AM
I like to read this thread so much and I cannot help from laughing when reading some posts that criticizes Nadal's celebrations! :p

I pick this quote as it is the one I like most to read and yes the one that matches the reason why I like to watch and support this young player

You never know if he will win or not all he wants you to do is to watch him and LIVE the whole match with him!!

Sometimes he lets his opponent gets some advantages then he comes back for winning the whole game and the whole match... to remind "no I am the master"
This is my impression (a wrong one maybe but I like to think this must have been right for few times though I don't know when exactly :p :p )
lol !!! I don't find it difficult at all to predict Nadal matches, especially on clay. He has been dominating the surface even more than Federer dominating the grass !!! I'd rather bet a win on Rafa on clay than Federer on grass.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-11-2007, 04:23 AM
lol !!! I don't find it difficult at all to predict Nadal matches, especially on clay. He has been dominating the surface even more than Federer dominating the grass !!! I'd rather bet a win on Rafa on clay than Federer on grass.
Really? yesterday when Nadal played Youznhy I was so impatient to know the result he said in his interview that Youznhy would "own" him if he was not playing his best...Youznhy has skills on clay...

gugarafa
05-11-2007, 07:04 AM
IMO it was about time rafa came along.Fed was owning everyone mercilessly rafa's dent to his armor made the sport more interesting(sampras-agassi rivalry type).
The only folks who dont like the kid are self confessed fedfans.I enjoy watching both play and believe rafa's the next #1

latinking
05-11-2007, 07:23 AM
I like him, I like them both . Nadal and Fed. Great to see them play, two different styles and on a lefty . Great stuff, If you love the game how could you not like them both.

War, Safin!
05-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Last year when the French Open started, there was an interview with Nadal.

Interviewer : " Well Rafa, the French Open will last one day longer this year because it starts one day earlier. What is your opinion on this ? "

Nadal : " I don't like it. I have to play one day longer but they don't give me more prize money ... "

:mad: :mad: :mad:

The guy makes a million dollars winning the Open and he's complaining about this one extra day ...
Yeah, but if you made $1000 per week and the boss said on Friday, "can you come in tomorrow from 9am-2pm, unpaid?" - would you work those hours for free?

It's all relative.

Pleepers
05-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Nadal is the "Yin" to Federer's "Yang". Everyone has the right to feel the way they do about Rafa, but I think if you are going to dislike someone or criticizes them -then it should be for good reason.

Ok, Nadal can be annoying with this constant fist pumps and celebrations...But I think it is because he is so passionate about the game. He wants to win every single point and he doesn't give up until the very end. He is a warrior that will not be intimidated and not let you come up for air until there is nothing left of his opponent.

I saw some clips of Nadal vs Gaudio where Gaudio was ****ed by Nadal's celebrations for errors that Gaudio committed. Along these lines I definitely do not agree with this sort of "sportsmanship" and I can see how Nadal lacks the sort of polish that is so often associated with the game of tennis. For this I probably would have reacted the same way Gaudio did.

I know if I had the talent that Nadal has, I would probably behave differently on court in this "the world is watching" sport we all admire. But I also think this has contributed to Nadal becoming what he is today. In the end lets face it: the game of tennis needs Rafa. Because without him I would have turned off the tv a long time ago from the boredom of watching Federer win 99% of the time.

Pancho
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM
And his style of playing?
Seriously, I seem to notice a lot of negativity about the guy....?

I think people are just jealous of Nadal ability of producing the most massive topspin the game has ever seen and is invinsible on Clay. He is tremedously muscular as well. And he plays with so much passion and emotion that just annoys everybody.

Don't worry guys, Nadal's extreme playing style will wear down on his body and won't last this good forever. Remeber Borg's topspin game when he won Wimbeldon and French Open? Well, Borg no longer hits with that much topspin in the Senior Pro tour - his shots are much flatter. He is only a shadow of himself when he was in his prime in the 70s.

Pancho
05-11-2007, 08:13 AM
I saw some clips of Nadal vs Gaudio where Gaudio was ****ed by Nadal's celebrations for errors that Gaudio committed. Along these lines I definitely do not agree with this sort of "sportsmanship" and I can see how Nadal lacks the sort of polish that is so often associated with the game of tennis. For this I probably would have reacted the same way Gaudio did.

Nadal is all about gamesmanship, fist pumps, and falling on the ground to show his *** to celebrate his win. Also, he likes to adjust his shorts and pulls up his socks before he serves. That really annoys everybody.

Trust me, Nadal WILL win French Open again. Federer does not stand a chance against Nadal's massive topspin.

Pleepers
05-11-2007, 10:29 AM
Nadal is all about gamesmanship, fist pumps, and falling on the ground to show his *** to celebrate his win. Also, he likes to adjust his shorts and pulls up his socks before he serves. That really annoys everybody.

Trust me, Nadal WILL win French Open again. Federer does not stand a chance against Nadal's massive topspin.

Hi Pancho, I'm note sure why you quoted me -because the "gamesmanship" you talk about and the "sportsmanship" I have discussed are two separate issues.

I don't think anyone has argued against or made issue of Nadal winning the French (which I also think he has the best chance of anyone), maybe you are just ranting? All the best.

Rataplan
05-11-2007, 10:38 AM
That really annoys everybody.
Everybody? Nope

Pancho
05-14-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Pancho, I'm note sure why you quoted me -because the "gamesmanship" you talk about and the "sportsmanship" I have discussed are two separate issues.

I don't think anyone has argued against or made issue of Nadal winning the French (which I also think he has the best chance of anyone), maybe you are just ranting? All the best.

Both! He will win French Open many times over again. Federer has no chance of ever beating Nadal on clay.