PDA

View Full Version : Improving Balance

DueSouth
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
Basically IMO my balance is really bad and could do with some improvment,if you know of any drills on court or exercises i can do generally day-to-day to help improve it please post thank you:D

jasoncho92
05-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Theres a lot of things that could make you off balance. List some things that you are doing that you think is making you off balance

yemenmocha
05-10-2007, 01:37 PM
I have a similar problem. I lean forward too much, especially when coming in to the net and on forehand volleys.

I lean over from the back instead of bending my knees and using my quads on groundstrokes. Result: sailed shots.

The above lean is also a problem for me reaching too far on slice backhands resulting in too much chopping motion instead of nice and firm through the ball.

I'm a LOUD player on the court with my feet flopping around to gain balance and composure once I've been stretched to hit a shot, or when I'm jammed and have to maneuver around the ball and then regain composure. My pro has had me do a few drills with "quiet feet" and I'm trying to jump rope so I'm not slapping feet all over the court.

Oh god I just reread the above... I'm pathetic.:confused:

Tennismastery
05-10-2007, 01:50 PM
One of the most productive drills I do in my academy is our "One-footed" drills:

1. lateral movement on one foot: balance on your left foot for right handed players hitting three balls across the baseline or service line. Do the same thing for backhands on the right foot.

2. Backing out drills: Same as 1., except instead of moving towards the forehand with a forehand, you move towards the right or left, (backing out) and hitting the other shot. use only half the court, start at the center service mark, and hit inside in or inside out forehands while moving towards the ad side alley. (Basically, as if you were running around a backhand to hit a forehand...but with one foot.) You can do one, two or three balls across from the middle to the alley.

3. Serving on one foot: this is a great drill to do for players to learn to serve with balance, to push off with the front foot--and land on it, and learning to generate power with rhythm instead of trying to swing too hard. (You can't over-hit standing on one foot!)

Bagumbawalla
05-10-2007, 03:57 PM
One of the best things is to get one of those cheap (you can find them at thrift stores) step machines that work two pedals with a connectiing rope.

Close your eyes and step with the machine while keeping your eyes closed. This is VERY good vor ballance.

Run up a stair (a real stair). First step with your left foot to the far left of the riser, then with your right foot to the far right. This is good for changing directions.

Buy an inexpensive jumprope. Jump with one foot, then the other, then skip back abd forth. Good for overall ballance and stamina.

Experiment with variations of all of the above.

yemenmocha
05-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Anything else... except that doesn't involve a high risk of me falling down? :sad:

fuzz nation
05-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Yoga... really!

I've never had the profound sense of balance and the ability to maintain it as I got from taking a class here and there a couple of winters ago. Get three or four sessions under your belt - no need to go harder than a beginnning level - and see what it does for you.

richw76
05-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Yoga or thai Chi really are great. My job started offering thai chi during lunch. It helped my balance and to relax and get centered during matches. If I had learned this skill earlier I may have been a slightly better player.

shindemac
05-11-2007, 11:48 AM
Ballet and gymnastic's people have a very good sense of balance. I don't see how you can get better without having some risk of falling down. Think of it this way. When you first learn to ride a bike, you use training wheels but you have no risk of falling over. At some point to progress further, you have to remove the training wheels and increase the risk of falling! There's no way you can leave the training wheels on forever and still expect to have the same sense of balance as a kid who takes their's off.

Vision84
05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
I agree with TennisMastery with the one fot drills. My coach has used this on me on my backhand before and I do it by myself if I feel my balance is going. There is also minimal risk of falling down.

cliff
05-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Improve your leg strength and you will be able to maintain dynamic balance during shots. Go to www.procomparetennis.net, it's FREE and check out the articles in the physical section. There are some great drills (video presentations) that will help improve balance.

yemenmocha
05-12-2007, 07:46 AM
I tend to fall a lot on the bicycle so I don't do it so much any longer. Maybe my balance is really, really bad. (I'm talking about mountain biking on tough terrain - I'm not mentally challenged)