PDA

View Full Version : New To Coaching

Brian_C
05-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Well my tennis coach insist that for the summer i join him in a summer camp... I dont think im good enough to coachbut he insist that i'm good enough to do it so i agree. Now i really need some pointer on how to become a better coach so when i get to the summer camp i seem to know what im doing.

Solat
05-10-2007, 05:23 PM
project your voice - people 2 courts over should hear you, basically you should be competing for noise level with the coach next to you.

ask your coach about how to use PROGRESSIONS, when to open the drill up and when to close the drill down. You can almost never get too basic to start, fundamentals are the key for all abilities.

Brian_C
05-10-2007, 06:20 PM
thanks for the advice im really gonna have to learn to project my voice because i have a naturally low voice, but this is a start. As of now im try to perfect my feeding because my coach saids that a important thing to know. Basically all i do is get a hopper and practice feeding to the Ts and i try to keep it as constant as possible and try to keep a good pace. Also i am trying to control feed,my fh to fh then fh to bh.

fatboysmiles
05-10-2007, 07:49 PM
i'm 14 atm and my two friends and I hold a clinic for kids (ages 9-12). we get about 20 kids and what we try to work on is to speak loudly as possible and make sure that if you make a mistake don't show it. mostly kids at that age think their coaches are gods and if they make a mistake they think the coach made it on purpose. just chill out and do what your coach says you need to do to coach. once you get used to it it's not that big a deal.

Brian_C
05-11-2007, 04:33 PM
thats for advice im gonna keep you guyz posted on how it turns out, only 1 month left until i start the job as of now im going all out on feeding. I prob put about 3 hours a day on feeding along and 5 on sats

NoSkillzAndy
05-12-2007, 01:12 AM
thats for advice im gonna keep you guyz posted on how it turns out, only 1 month left until i start the job as of now im going all out on feeding. I prob put about 3 hours a day on feeding along and 5 on sats

That's alot of feeding :o

Brian, what age group and ability levels will you be working with? It might not be obvious, but different levels will require different types of feeding. At the youngest ages you won't even be feeding, you'll be tossing balls underhanded. However, none of this is really worthy of "practicing". If you can play tennis and you can toss a ball, then you can feed. You'll get better with experience of course, but I doubt hitting balls at targets is going to help you too much.

I would say the most important thing is to have confidence in yourself and bring lots of energy to the court. The kids will pick up on this and will have more fun and listen more intently to what you have to say. When you get out there for the first time, just follow the lead of the other coaches and try to learn from them. They will probably have a structured workout for you to follow. Just make sure you understand each progression step or drill before you get started for the day and you should be fine. After practices, or whenever you get the opportunity, I'd recommend asking some of the other coaches questions about teaching techniques, tips & tricks, etc.

Brian_C
05-12-2007, 06:48 PM
well i really dont know but my coach tells me i should be confident in feed by the time i get there. Hes telling basically my time will consist of 5-7 min short court and the rest drills, and mostly 3 forehand / backhand 1 to the base line T middle then far corner then making go back down to the base line T. I think thats how he explained it.