PDA

View Full Version : Short/bulky arms?

imsoaznwashed
05-10-2007, 05:45 PM
What are the disadvantages/advantages of having a built up/shorter arm/reach?

My arms are shorter than average, and not like a t-rex, and it feels to me like i have less potential in tennis because of it..are there any advantages to having shorter/more built arms in tennis?

sapient007
05-11-2007, 05:21 AM
in short no. you would want to use your core to generate power and your arm like a whip.. so short arms in theory are a disadvantage during service and groundies. i don't think it matters too much in rec play. i mean unless you are pro, why fuss.. it's a game. enjoy it and oh.. you can always use your short arms as an excuse when you get bagel-ed.

imsoaznwashed
05-11-2007, 06:08 AM
-____-

but if you have shorter arms, doesnt that mean that you have less swing potential? or something like that?

sapient007
05-11-2007, 06:22 AM
it shouldn't matter that much unless you are planning on going pro.. YOu should focus on bettering your stamina and speed to counter your shorter arm rather than building arm muscle IMO.

i mean look at michael chang. he was like a 5'6 midget and yet still won the FO amongst others.

imsoaznwashed
05-11-2007, 11:14 AM
chang was 5'9''....but im talking about techinically speaking, would i have less swingspeed potential? would i have more of something in comparison to less swing potential?

shindemac
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
The biggest thing is the serve. Other than that, less reach, easily lobbed over, and volleys. If your technique is good, you'll be able to generate as much swingspeed as you need. Swingspeed comes from the other parts of your body like legs and shoulder rotation. That's why technique is critical instead of arm length. I can't think of any pros of short arms. But this shouldn't hold you back. No reason why you can't play college. Going pro is a different story where having a huge serve is critical.

GuyClinch
05-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I don't think it matters. Look at how hard Henin Hardene hits. You rarely see anyone putting their whole body into a shot like the pros do. If you can do that you will be hitting very hard no matter how short your arms are.

Pete

JCo872
05-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Watch Robby Gineppri play. The guy is built like a boxer, but he kills the ball. He really uses his build to hammer the ball.

tricky
05-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually if a person has short arm, they have a tighter arc and have a shorter takeback. Considering that most FH strokes involve an elbow tuck anyway, the real "arm" power is mostly coming from that deep shoulder turn. And that shoulder is integrated with rest of body.

For the 1H BH, it may help to have shorter arms, as your contact point doesn't have to be as "in front."

cam2
05-11-2007, 06:29 PM
chang was 5'9''....but im talking about techinically speaking, would i have less swingspeed potential? would i have more of something in comparison to less swing potential?

Yeah, maybe in high heals. It's not like pro's ever lie in their stats, right?

imsoaznwashed
05-11-2007, 06:52 PM
cam2-lol..maybe they lie...SOMETIMES.
tricky-actually..i've seen that when i connect my 1hbh and my forehand a little closer than most players do, i get more pop and have more control..it's weird..=T.

slack hack
05-13-2007, 03:33 PM
No way Chang is 5'9. I stood right next to him
at an exhibition match in Myrtle Beach. I'm 5'9 he definitely seemed a couple of inches shorter.

serveitup911
05-13-2007, 07:08 PM
2 words: Olivier Rochus. The guy is 5'5"

If you feel your arms are too short, try an extended length racquet for more leverage.

habib
05-14-2007, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=serveitup911;1442560]2 words: Olivier Rochus. The guy is 5'5"
[QUOTE]

This example probably better demonstrates the opposite of the point you were trying to make - O. Rochus is handicapped by his small stature. It all comes down to physics, basically. Shorter arms = shorter leverage = less potential for racquet speed and less force applied to the ball. This probably won't make a particularly large difference outside of very high level competitoin, however.

serveitup911
05-14-2007, 12:47 PM
My point was that a person can play at a very high level even with such a short stature. The OP needs to look at the advantages of being shorter: More control, less risk of injury, more agility, better with low balls, etc...

imsoaznwashed
05-14-2007, 01:45 PM
i think my having a shorter reach is what makes my serve as weak as it is. i only serve about 105-110 consistently and when i put everything into it, it only goes about 115..

so with this post, i'm just trying to blame my bad form on a physical issue that i have. =T

i guess i just have to work with what God gave me, right? =\

Janne
05-14-2007, 01:58 PM
Now you're just trying to brag. No one can possible think that a 105-110 consistent serve is weak, no one, not even pros.

serveitup911
05-14-2007, 04:16 PM
imsoaznwashed, how tall are you and what level do you play?

Movement
05-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Now you're just trying to brag. No one can possible think that a 105-110 consistent serve is weak, no one, not even pros.

Be mindful he might be talking about kilometers. If not then yes... that is giving yourself too much credit.

imsoaznwashed
05-15-2007, 06:24 AM
i used to play 5.0 but i have been out of practice for months and the only thing that has survived the year without play was my serve. college severely damaged my tennis game..i dont know if this has happened to any of you guys. i was good enough to get into a DII school but not good enough to get into a DI school, so i decided not to play at all.

I'm not trying to brag, but i put everything i have into my serve and that's all i get out of it. i'm 5'9'' but i have friends that are 5'5'' and 5'7'' that have way longer reach than me. When i say longer reach i mean my 5'5'' friends have about 2-3 inches on me. So i guess i have short arms.

I've seen people with longer arms than me put the same amount of effort into their serves that i do and the serve comes out like a missile, but mine only go about 105-110. It sucks for me cause i feel like my body is what's holding me back..

cam2
05-15-2007, 07:12 AM
i used to play 5.0 but i have been out of practice for months and the only thing that has survived the year without play was my serve. college severely damaged my tennis game..i dont know if this has happened to any of you guys. i was good enough to get into a DII school but not good enough to get into a DI school, so i decided not to play at all.

I'm not trying to brag, but i put everything i have into my serve and that's all i get out of it. i'm 5'9'' but i have friends that are 5'5'' and 5'7'' that have way longer reach than me. When i say longer reach i mean my 5'5'' friends have about 2-3 inches on me. So i guess i have short arms.

I've seen people with longer arms than me put the same amount of effort into their serves that i do and the serve comes out like a missile, but mine only go about 105-110. It sucks for me cause i feel like my body is what's holding me back..

Post a video because otherwise I smell B.S.

Honestly, as a former 5.0 you wouldn't need us to tell you any of this.

imsoaznwashed
05-15-2007, 07:26 AM
i dont have a camera. if i had one, i would definitely take video for you guys. i know my speeds because i got it clocked at the local tennis center 2 weeks ago and my flat serve didn't go above 110, my kick didnt go above 82 and my topspin didnt go above 93.

i know that having shorter arms means less swing speed but i don't know exactly how much less, you dont have to believe what i tell you and i shouldnt have to prove anything to you.

what i want to know is how much more potential does someone with a 28-30inch arm have compared to someone with a 24inch(me) arm. i just measured my uncle's arm who is 5'6'' and his arm is longer than mine by 3 inches, and i have 3 inches height on him.