PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here from Austin?

jimiforpres
05-10-2007, 07:04 PM
Just curious, does anyone here live in Austin? If so, where do you play (what club) and what level are you?

NoSkillzAndy
05-11-2007, 01:53 PM
Yep, I teach out at Westwood Country Club. I'm a strong 4.5 player, weak 5.0 player.

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I live in Austin and was actually thinking about applying to be a stringer and/or teaching pro at Westwood in the Fall semester when I get back from Houston. Any chance of that working out NoSkillzAndy?

NoSkillzAndy
05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
Hmm, this forum doesn't have private messaging. Oh well.

What are your qualifications, kingdaddy? We are always looking to add part-timers to the coaching roster, but we don't really have any more room for full-time pros at the moment. If you're good at stringing then you can probably get a job running the desk in the pro shop. It entails answering phones, ringing up sales, etc., and stringing racquets whenever you have time. Half the current pro shop guys/gals don't even like to string, so it's good that you do ;)

If you are currently enrolled at UT, another option would be to try to get a job with RecSports running the desk at either of the two tennis centers. Also the UT men's & women's teams are always in need of stringers and assistants. If money's not an issue you can also apply to work (for free) as a score keeper during their matches. Very cool as you get to watch some high level tennis up close.

jimiforpres
05-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Wait, is your real name Andy? Or is that a Roddick reference?

NoSkillzAndy
05-11-2007, 06:33 PM
My real name is actually Andy and this nickname has nothing to do with Roddick. He does practice at my club though... :)

mhstennis100
05-11-2007, 06:57 PM
I go to Austin a few times a year because most of my family lives there. I like it a lot.

kingdaddy41788
05-28-2007, 09:25 PM
As far as qualifications, I don't have much for coaching. I'll be teaching a kid's summer camp this summer at Raveneaux Country Club in Houston, but that'll be all of my teaching experience. I'm really interested in working at Westwood; I was hoping to get a job as a teaching pro, even if it was just for real beginners, but I would take a job at the front desk too. Thanks for any advice!

Sakumo
05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
My real name is actually Andy and this nickname has nothing to do with Roddick. He does practice at my club though... :)

ZOMGWTFBBQ have you like talked to him OMG OMG OMG, you should get a autograph and then sleep with it at night. lol jk around

mhstennis100
05-29-2007, 10:18 AM
As far as qualifications, I don't have much for coaching. I'll be teaching a kid's summer camp this summer at Raveneaux Country Club in Houston, but that'll be all of my teaching experience. I'm really interested in working at Westwood; I was hoping to get a job as a teaching pro, even if it was just for real beginners, but I would take a job at the front desk too. Thanks for any advice!

I used to play at Raveneaux. I heard they got rid of one of their golf courses.

Hewitt Aussie
05-29-2007, 06:07 PM
I currently play at Ravenoux, i get coached there by Keith From. He is a great coach. What camp is this that you are coaching? I don't know anything about the golf course.

mhstennis100
05-29-2007, 07:56 PM
Hewitt Aussie, have you ever played at the Met? It's an indoor club downtown.

ryohazuki222
05-29-2007, 11:55 PM

Think I may have just figured out who you are... Are your initials A.M. by any chance? Doubt you remember me though if they are... We hit a while back on the clay in doubles. Me, Justin, George, and an Andy...

Jimmyt
05-30-2007, 05:16 AM
I visit Austin a couple times a year. Play at circle C, alos played the nationals a couple years ago at your club.

NoSkillzAndy
05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
ryohazuki222, yeah that sounds like it was me ;) What's your name?

kingdaddy41788, the next time you're in Austin we should hit a little so I can get a chance to meet you in person. Also I might be in Houston once or twice over the summer to play tournaments but I'm not sure yet. I'd feel rather silly referring someone for a job who I've only met over the internet!

ryohazuki222
05-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Not sure how good you are with names but... after thinking about it, I think I've played you another time in doubles also. Back when Jason was an officer in tennis club and still at UT we played once at Penick. I'm Alex. Last name starts with a B and if you google children story elephants you can probably figure it out. That day I was playing doubles with Huy... not sure if you knew him.

BTW... any chance I can go hit on those claycourts again :D

kingdaddy41788
05-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I currently play at Ravenoux, i get coached there by Keith From. He is a great coach. What camp is this that you are coaching? I don't know anything about the golf course.

He is a good coach. I'm just teaching the juniors summer camps with a couple of other people.

kingdaddy41788
05-30-2007, 11:00 PM
ryohazuki222, yeah that sounds like it was me ;) What's your name?

kingdaddy41788, the next time you're in Austin we should hit a little so I can get a chance to meet you in person. Also I might be in Houston once or twice over the summer to play tournaments but I'm not sure yet. I'd feel rather silly referring someone for a job who I've only met over the internet!

Haha definitely true. We should hit next time I'm in Austin or when you're here. you can email me at kingdaddy41788@hotmail.com if you come to Houston...

knasty131
05-30-2007, 11:44 PM
im in killeen...about an hour north of austin but play for temple college

NoSkillzAndy
05-31-2007, 07:59 AM
Not sure how good you are with names but... after thinking about it, I think I've played you another time in doubles also. Back when Jason was an officer in tennis club and still at UT we played once at Penick. I'm Alex. Last name starts with a B and if you google children story elephants you can probably figure it out. That day I was playing doubles with Huy... not sure if you knew him.

BTW... any chance I can go hit on those claycourts again

I think I remember ;) I'll be out of town this weekened but if you want to hit anytime over the summer just let me know. And yes we can hit on the clay! Email is armerritt@hotmail.com

Haha definitely true. We should hit next time I'm in Austin or when you're here. you can email me at kingdaddy41788@hotmail.com if you come to Houston...

Sounds good. My email is above. Shoot me an email whenever you plan on coming to Austin.

TxMed83
05-31-2007, 09:46 AM
im in killeen...about an hour north of austin but play for temple college

Hey knasty, I just moved to Temple to finish up med school and have been looking for somebody to hit with some. I've played since I was little but haven't played much in the past few years, got kind of burned out before I started college but really looking to get back into playing again.

knasty131
05-31-2007, 03:07 PM
Hey knasty, I just moved to Temple to finish up med school and have been looking for somebody to hit with some. I've played since I was little but haven't played much in the past few years, got kind of burned out before I started college but really looking to get back into playing again.

sounds good...my email is duey131(at)yahoo.com if you want to email me...we can discuss when/where and all that stuff.

gbeast
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I live in Austin and was actually thinking about applying to be a stringer and/or teaching pro at Westwood in the Fall semester when I get back from Houston. Any chance of that working out NoSkillzAndy?

I once got my racquet re-strung and asked for a specific brand but didnt know what it looked like.Once I finally broke those and went somewhere else to get them re-strung and I wanted the same type. The guy told me the strings werent the brand I thought they were. I had gotten a much more expensive type of string for the price of really cheap string. It was weird. I paid like 15$ less than what that type of string really cost.

atatu
08-25-2007, 10:03 PM
Hey, if anyone has any info on junior tennis in Austin, feel free to leave me a comment or email me. http://austintennis.blogspot.com/

Thanks.