PDA

View Full Version : How Many...

K!ck5w3rvE
03-13-2004, 10:22 PM
How many free points should a 16 year old boy be able to get in a service game against someone of equal ability?

brijoel
03-13-2004, 10:25 PM
perhaps you should go and read the thread of the 13 year old asking how fast his serve should be..........the actual number of aces are totally irrelevant considering you could have 20 aces and miss every other serve you hit during the match.

Verbal_Kint
03-14-2004, 03:07 AM
Number of aces is the most irrelevant statistic of all time. Until an ace counts for two points, a nice into-the-body serve will be just as effective.

Marnix

Anonymous
03-14-2004, 07:54 AM
depends who you're playing,
1-2 against a good player
20-25 against a monkey

AAAA
03-14-2004, 09:05 AM
It depends on the oppostion and whether the 16 year old is anything like a 16/17 year old Boris Becker.

James Brown
03-14-2004, 11:50 AM
with your pure drive + you should be hitting 50..lol...btw, out of those on your list only roddick uses the +.

im 17 personally , im only a 1.5 or maybe 2.0 but i can ace people who are near my skill or just a bit above it. Doesnt mean jack though. I practice with a 5.5 and i cant ace him (doesnt surprise me, i dont serve that hard). I just keep the ball low and hit the angles to the best of my ability. The only time ive ever aced him was on a second serve, i hit this super spinner at like maybe 60-70mph out wide and it hit the line, he didnt think it was going in, heheh :>

just concentrate on getting your serve in and depth and placement. You dont need to ace someone to win the service point.

polakosaur
03-14-2004, 03:54 PM
thats immaturity, you should be looking at performance achievement like 70-80% first serve percentage, then you'll get you aces you want so badly

jun
03-15-2004, 01:54 AM
It depends on the level of skill. And his size matters as well. No one can give you fixed answer on this. IBut I agree with Kint, that ace doesn't really show much. You can serve 50 aces and still lose.

The 16 year old kid should be focusing on his technique, placing the ball, spin and pace. It's important to be able to hit hard, but it's much much more important to hit where you want to hit it at.

jayserinos99
03-15-2004, 08:57 AM
Aces are overrated. serving percentage + percentage of serving points won = $$$$.

@wright
03-15-2004, 10:46 AM
If I were you, I'd focus on moving the serve around at will with a variety of paces, instead of actual aces. If you can get your serve to swing way out wide allowing you an easy volley or groundstroke winner, it's worth as much as an ace, and it's more a "bread and butter" play than trying to hit an ace. Some of the best players on the tour don't hit many aces but can hold their serve easily because they know what they want to do with their serves, and they know what shot they want to make their opponent hit as a return.

Bungalo Bill
03-16-2004, 08:15 AM
I dont mean to downplay this poller. Afterall, somewhere in his/her tennis training poor match strategies were allowed to enter in.

This is an example of misguided performance improvement criteria. First off, this question is so illusive as there are many different 16 year olds with different body types, strenghts, genes, style, etc. so this question is literally imposible to answer right.

Secondly, if a 16 year old is only focusing on his serve, he wont go very far in tennis. As he improves, so will his competition and once his serve is nuetralized - what happens next?

If an ace happens it should happen because you mix up your serves well and you disguise your motion/toss so it is hard to read. With this said, the focus should not be on the ace but on the tactics for the point itself.

A good serve is a weapon to help you control the point and thus hold your serve. This puts pressure on the opponent that he has to keep up with you otherwise he will be broken and lose the set and ultimately the match.