PDA

View Full Version : Will Nadal become the GOAT?

sureshs
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
Even after he is hospitalized for dizziness, he comes back and wins. Can anyone beat this guy?

He was in the finals of Wimbledon already.

With Federer on his way out, Nadal can rack up the remaining 3 Slams, thus equaling Laver and Agassi. With more wins after that, he may well become the GOAT.

I think his physical and mental intensity will help him reach that goal.

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
No. It won't happen. Good luck with that though.

z-money
05-11-2007, 09:49 AM
fed is 25 nadal is almost 21. fed isnt done. nadal will never win wimbledon. but something to look at fed has 47 titles. nadal has 20 already. in five years maybe he will have 70 if his body holds up. but that is the big Q... I say yea he has a really good chance just as good as roger, but will he last. or will he fall away with injuries like most of the dirt ballers

mJeez4293
05-11-2007, 11:06 AM
nadal is much more fit than the other clay courters... coria, ferrero etc

edmondsm
05-11-2007, 11:08 AM
He'll have to start...uh...winning more slams....yeah that's it.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-11-2007, 11:12 AM
yes he will, after fed, nadal sits on the throne, no doubt.

sureshs
05-11-2007, 11:13 AM
fed is 25 nadal is almost 21. fed isnt done. nadal will never win wimbledon. but something to look at fed has 47 titles. nadal has 20 already. in five years maybe he will have 70 if his body holds up. but that is the big Q... I say yea he has a really good chance just as good as roger, but will he last. or will he fall away with injuries like most of the dirt ballers

All the nay-sayers who were saying his style of play is flawed and he will get injured better wake up now. He is in better shape than most players and he is not even at his prime yet. What matters in tennis is winning. Afterwards, people can analyze all they want but Nadal will rewrite the tennis textbooks. He will prove that open stance, big-headed relatively light racquets, and predominantly baseline play can be superior in today's tennis, much to the anger of purists.

alfa164164
05-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Are the other slams converting to clay?

sureshs
05-11-2007, 11:21 AM
Are the other slams converting to clay?

No, but they are becoming slower.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2007, 11:22 AM
If Nadal plays consistently like he did at Indian Wells than it's possible.

Tchocky
05-11-2007, 11:25 AM
He may go down in history as the greatest clay court player but he still has to prove himself on other surfaces. He's still only second best on any other surface.

jrgfederer
05-11-2007, 11:27 AM
short answer: no. not even close.

edmondsm
05-11-2007, 11:29 AM
If Nadal plays consistently like he did at Indian Wells than it's possible.

Just because he is able to win best of 3 sets doesn't mean he's going to start taking home U.S. Opens. So far at the other slams all he has proven is that there are plenty of guys that can beat him easily, including Fed.

kingdaddy41788
05-11-2007, 11:37 AM
He may go down in history as the greatest clay court player but he still has to prove himself on other surfaces. He's still only second best on any other surface.

He's the king of clay, but he's far from second best on any other surface. He has yet to be in the finals at the US or Australian Open, and he had a disgustingly easy draw at Wimbledon. He gets beaten by flat- & hard-hitting baseliners on hard courts time and time again.

Nadal_Freak
05-11-2007, 11:43 AM
Just because he is able to win best of 3 sets doesn't mean he's going to start taking home U.S. Opens. So far at the other slams all he has proven is that there are plenty of guys that can beat him easily, including Fed.
Nadal didn't lose a set in that tournament. He dominated Roddick and Djokovic by attacking rather than just defending. Unfortunately at Miami Nadal resorted to his old way of playing on hardcourts which is getting too far behind the baseline and hitting short balls.

edberg505
05-11-2007, 11:49 AM
No, but they are becoming slower.

Well, the AO is one of the slowest hardcourts out there and Gonzo still played him like a Gameboy!

sureshs
05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Well, the AO is one of the slowest hardcourts out there and Gonzo still played him like a Gameboy!

But Nadal also defeated Federer on the Dubai hard courts.

And didn't he win IW this year?

edberg505
05-11-2007, 11:53 AM
But Nadal also defeated Federer on the Dubai hard courts.

And didn't he win IW this year?

Well, that win over Federer certainly wasn't this year as Youhzny gave him a whipping there. And yes he did win IW. I guess we'll see what happens the rest of the year.

CEvertFan
05-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Unless the other 3 Slams suddenly convert to clay, the answer is NO.

sureshs
05-11-2007, 12:02 PM
There is something intangible about this guy. He never loses focus. Outside tennis, his comments are awkward and he doesn't do the fashion stuff and stylish interviews like Federer. It is almost like there is nothing more to his life than tennis. Such people often do very well in what they choose.

sureshs
05-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Consider this statistic: no one in the history of tennis has won 72 consecutive matches on any surface.

This itself is GOAT material.

teedub
05-11-2007, 12:10 PM
GOAT? are you kidding me? yes he's still 20, he's got quite a few titles, he's in amazing shape, of course it's not apparent that he's going to slow down any time soon, but I think time has shown glorious tennis careers, or players who start off strong with their awesome defensive and physical game e.g. Hewitt, Chang seem like they'll never slow down, but what happens to them? Hewitt has obviously burned out (starting last year) by the age of 25ish, Chang burned out after 97 when he was 26 (round there). So people will say Nadal is no Chang or no Hewitt. He's a clay courter that still, IMO, has to prove he's a contender for other slams, impressive run to the finals of W last year, but I don't think he's going to get that far again this year.

Anyways back to the topic, Nadal as possible candidate for GOAT? get out of here, assuming his game lasts until the age of 26, he's going to have to win average 2 slams a year until then. You think that's possible? What, French 8 years straight? Somehow I find that hard to believe, and if since the probability of him winning the FO in the next 6 years as well is so low, you think he's going to rack up one of the other slams for the next 6 years? There's just no way it's going to happen.

edberg505
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
Consider this statistic: no one in the history of tennis has won 72 consecutive matches on any surface.

Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Johnny Mac has a 75 count win streak on carpet.

mrmo1115
05-11-2007, 12:14 PM
yeah i agree rafa will not be goat

mrmo1115
05-11-2007, 12:15 PM
yup johnny mac has a record of 75 straight carpet
as of 5-11-07 rafael has tied mac's record he just needs one more win

but... nikolay davydenko hopefully will deny rafa the record breaking match

edmondsm
05-11-2007, 12:17 PM
Nadal didn't lose a set in that tournament. He dominated Roddick and Djokovic by attacking rather than just defending. Unfortunately at Miami Nadal resorted to his old way of playing on hardcourts which is getting too far behind the baseline and hitting short balls.

I will not deny his tremendous talent and he will retire as an all time great I'm sure, but I want to see some more slams before we start throwing around Nadal and GOAT together.

edmondsm
05-11-2007, 12:19 PM
yup johnny mac has a record of 75 straight carpet
as of 5-11-07 rafael has tied mac's record he just needs one more win

Nadal is terrible on carpet, what are you talking about?:p

iplaybetter
05-11-2007, 12:20 PM
I doubt he is dominant enough on other surfaces, other than clay that is.

Grimjack
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
There is something intangible about this guy. He never loses focus.

Except at three out of four slams every year. And also at the year end Masters.

sureshs
05-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Umm, correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure Johnny Mac has a 75 count win streak on carpet.

Thanks for the correction.

Rafael Nadal beat Novak Djokovic 6-2, 6-3 Friday for his 75th consecutive win on clay, matching John McEnroe's streak for most victories on one surface.

One more and that is all. It is against Davydenko, so you know who will win.

teedub
05-11-2007, 12:49 PM

The fact that someone just brought up the statistic of johnny mac's 75 win streak on carpet which was unbeknownst to most of us including yourself, tells us that the stat has no real merit when considering discussions on the GOATs. it's just a stat that the ATP decided to pluck out to help market tennis, and to help legitimize Federer's only amazing rival.

sureshs
05-11-2007, 12:51 PM
The fact that someone just brought up the statistic of johnny mac's 75 win streak on carpet which was unbeknownst to most of us including yourself, tells us that the stat has no real merit when considering discussions on the GOATs. it's just a stat that the ATP decided to pluck out to help market tennis, and to help legitimize Federer's only amazing rival.

It shows what he is capable of. Like any other stat, it doesn't prove anything by itself.

teedub
05-11-2007, 12:54 PM
It shows what he is capable of. Like any other stat, it doesn't prove anything by itself.

we all know he's capable on clay, but is he capable enough on other surfaces to obtain GOAT status, I doubt it. I admire Nadal, I watched IW, but he's still limited, he won't win wimbledon or the us open multiple times and if he doesn't it's difficult to compare him with the GOATs. I may be proven wrong, but I wouldn't bet against my prediction.