PDA

View Full Version : Joachim Johansson's backhand is real crap?

Golden Retriever
05-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I saw seen one of his recent matches and his 1HBH was really crappy. It was like 5.0 at best. Is that whats holding him back? Roddick's backhand actually looks really good comparing to Johansson's.

Feņa14
05-11-2007, 02:06 PM
I saw seen one of his recent matches and his 1HBH was really crappy. It was like 5.0 at best. Is that whats holding him back? Roddick's backhand actually looks really good comparing to Johansson's.

It's decent. I wouldn't say anything was particularly holding him back as he was in the top 10 and on his way up even further before he got the nasty shoulder injury. He even beat Nadal on his comeback last year before getting injured again and if anyone can take advantage of a backhand it's Nadal.

There's no doubt that his backhand isn't as good as his forehand and serve but the way he plays it doesn't seem to matter all that much.

Can you imagine if it was as good as his forehand and serve? lol.. That would be scary to see :)

Voltron
05-11-2007, 02:08 PM
^^^^^^^

If it was, he would be top five material, at the very least. (He's still top ten worthy IMHO)

Golden Retriever
05-11-2007, 02:10 PM
From what I saw it was real crappy. Maybe just one of those off days for his backhand.

edmondsm
05-11-2007, 02:41 PM
He's a big serving thug. Remember when he hit like 50+ aces against Agassi and lost in straight sets. I hope he comes back, Sweden is supposed to have a top 10 guy right?

BreakPoint
05-11-2007, 03:34 PM
I saw him play live several times a few years ago before he was injured and when he was still using his i.Prestige (or paintjob thereof) and he had a HUGE 1HBH. He was pounding his backhand as hard as with his forehand. He made chopped liver out of James Blake in the process. So he's definitely able to crush his backhand, although it appears that he doesn't do it as much nowadays.

Tennis_Monk
05-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Is he still playing? If so where?

JackRabbit
05-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Where were you watching the match? I have been looking to watch him play an actual match ever since I saw his match with Agassi. I haven't found more than a couple blurry 30 second clips. If it wouldn't be too much trouble would you mind uploading some video clips?

splink779
05-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Lopez is one of the top 100 guys that truly has a weak stroke in his backhand. He'll hit about half of his topspin backhands out. J.J.'s backhand is better. He can crush it, but he can also rally with it and he's not going to hit someone in the stands like Lopez would.

Anyway, its not his backhand holding him back. It's his shoulder. When he is playing, he is top 15.

lacoster
05-11-2007, 09:32 PM
I miss Joachim's game - reminds me of Richard Krajicek. His beating #2 Nadal and #5 Davydenko on a brief 2-tournament comeback last year shows me that he easily is top ten material.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARIES (http://dispensaries.org/)

Bogie
05-11-2007, 10:01 PM
He's a big serving thug. Remember when he hit like 50+ aces against Agassi and lost in straight sets. I hope he comes back, Sweden is supposed to have a top 10 guy right?

he lost to agassi in 4, but remember the score was something like 4-6, 7-6, 7-6, 7-6 so he definitely had the time to hit all those aces, its just incredible that he actually did it, especially vs. one of the greatest returners of all time. i remember agassi saying in the interview after the match that that was one of the most embarassing moments of his career, just walking back and forth and not even getting a racquet on the ball.