PDA

View Full Version : I din know Davydenko could push Nadal so much...

holy_angel
05-12-2007, 09:13 AM
Look at wat he did in the 2nd set..... 20 out of 22 net points won....

anyway when was the last time Rafa was pushed to the limit on clay?definitely not by Federer......

It would be a good one.....Gonzo against Nadal...

Morrissey
05-12-2007, 10:17 AM
Look at wat he did in the 2nd set..... 20 out of 22 net points won....

anyway when was the last time Rafa was pushed to the limit on clay?definitely not by Federer......

It would be a good one.....Gonzo against Nadal...

Have you just started watching tennis this year? Fed had 2 match points exactly 12 months ago in the Rome final.

Andres
05-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Have you just started watching tennis this year? Fed had 2 match points exactly 12 months ago in the Rome final.
And exactly 24 months ago, Coria was two points away from victory in the 5th set TB (6-6)

Nadal_Freak
05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Rome courts are about as fast as some hard court tournaments out there. No surprise Nadal struggles the most here. French Open is clearly slower.

illkhiboy
05-12-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't get why people are so surprised by Davydenko performing well today. He is damn good on clay, which might be his best surface. In a Yahoo article, they grouped him alongside Roddick as a bad claycourter. Does anyone remember his 5-set marathon match against Puerta in the Roland Garros semifinals a couple years back? And last year, he was stopped by Nalbandian in the QF in 4 sets from repeating '05 performance. He also gave Federer a tough match in Hamburg '05 but Federer was too good that day.

Breaker
05-12-2007, 10:49 AM
And exactly 24 months ago, Coria was two points away from victory in the 5th set TB (6-6)

Not to mention a double break up in the fifth 3-0, winning 9 straight games before choking it away :mad: .

illkhiboy
05-12-2007, 11:38 AM
My bad. Double post. Blame the stupid slow Sharjah Internet..I do!

ATXtennisaddict
05-12-2007, 12:38 PM
If Nadal had been playing like his normal self, it might not have been so close. But credit to Nikolay, he really played so well.

Andres
05-12-2007, 12:39 PM
You already posted that... two posts ago :p

Ethan04
05-12-2007, 02:19 PM
perhaps Federer could learn something from Nikolay.

AAUS
05-12-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think federer can do what nikolay did with his backhand

holy_angel
05-13-2007, 12:42 AM
well well..thanks for all ur posts everyone....

anyway just goes to show nadal is too hot for anyone to handle....

as a fed fan, cant wait for clay season to end.....

anyway nikolay is a very decent player, maybe no swagger but seriously can give almost anyone a run for ur money... he returns everything everyone throws at him so well....

that superb slice cum drop at the side which caught the sideline was clearly the shot of the match......

rafan
05-13-2007, 12:45 AM
Cannot quite get this - yes I have seen Davydneko play really well - but why was he put out in the first round at Estoril - by a qualifier?

holy_angel
05-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Cannot quite get this - yes I have seen Davydneko play really well - but why was he put out in the first round at Estoril - by a qualifier?

we give them the benefit of doubt...sometimes they might have woke up on the wrong side of the bed or wat.....

nah, it is not right to judge players based on how many 1st round exits they have.... it is how far they can push the higher ranked players....

i salute davydenko for wat he did against nadal yesterday....charging to the net even tho everyone knows how ferocious nadal ground strokes are...TOP CLASS!!!!!

War, Safin!
05-13-2007, 01:36 AM
Yesterday's Nadal - Davydenko semi-final was the best match I've seen in 2007.
Utterly compelling.

My worry is: does Nadal have enough left in the tank to play again today?

holy_angel
05-13-2007, 07:34 AM
Yesterday's Nadal - Davydenko semi-final was the best match I've seen in 2007.
Utterly compelling.

My worry is: does Nadal have enough left in the tank to play again today?

well he prove that he did.....whacked gonzalez nice and properly.....

revenge for nadal over his loss to gonzo at AO 2007...

anyway i agree with u...the best match this season....even better than Fed Ex' whitewash of Roddick at AO 07...

J-man
05-13-2007, 08:02 AM
I don't get why people are so surprised by Davydenko performing well today. He is damn good on clay, which might be his best surface. In a Yahoo article, they grouped him alongside Roddick as a bad claycourter. Does anyone remember his 5-set marathon match against Puerta in the Roland Garros semifinals a couple years back? And last year, he was stopped by Nalbandian in the QF in 4 sets from repeating '05 performance. He also gave Federer a tough match in Hamburg '05 but Federer was too good that day.Well I wouldn't trust Yahool in the first place. Davydenko is a good caly courter his footwork is very good and he is a grinder.

Ripper
05-13-2007, 08:04 AM
I didn't seem to me like Nadal was playing very well against Davydenko, yesterday. Same for González against Nadal, today. The important thing is to win, anyway, when you're playing badly (like Federer on hard courts)... and to kick your opponent's *** when it's him playing badly :)

kimizz
05-13-2007, 11:31 AM
This is from the Rome masters web page:

DAVYDENKO commenting (on Saturday): "If González plays fast I think for Nadal it will be easier. Because against Nadal if I tried to play faster he would run even faster and the ball would come back faster. And you know, it's difficult then to control it.
If you play against him a little bit slow and easy he cannot push ball from the backhand. He tried to do something and he couldn't. Then I have time to prepare for the next ball and I know what I need to do then. If I tried to make some winners, to play fast, he ran fast and made great top spin from the baseline, and I had no chance to prepare".

"The Russian said the only way to play the Spaniard was by taking the pace off the ball and rallying. Without pace Rafael's shots lost a lot of their effectiveness, he said."

Those who saw the game completely, what you think? Did Davydenko do this or is it BS? Maybe Federer could learn from this...

Baghdatis72
05-13-2007, 11:43 AM

DAVYDENKO commenting (on Saturday): "If González plays fast I think for Nadal it will be easier. Because against Nadal if I tried to play faster he would run even faster and the ball would come back faster. And you know, it's difficult then to control it.
If you play against him a little bit slow and easy he cannot push ball from the backhand. He tried to do something and he couldn't. Then I have time to prepare for the next ball and I know what I need to do then. If I tried to make some winners, to play fast, he ran fast and made great top spin from the baseline, and I had no chance to prepare".

"The Russian said the only way to play the Spaniard was by taking the pace off the ball and rallying. Without pace Rafael's shots lost a lot of their effectiveness, he said."

Those who saw the game completely, what you think? Did Davydenko do this or is it BS? Maybe Federer could learn from this...

This is exactly why players who try to outplay Nadal with strong forehands and heavy topspin shots get demolished and that's exactly why Davydenko almost managed to beat Nadal yesterday. When you play the way Nadal wants you to play or when you try to overpower him he will use his speed and topspin forehand to take the point at once. Davydenko played to the Nadal backhand a lot and he didn't give him anything to work with and do the damage.

It's exactly the same as when playing against someone who is better than you on a surface. When you try to outplay him he will beat you because he is better at it but if you try to give him less pace, more variation and strange angles then he will struggle and then there's a chance to do the damage and with a bit of luck beat him.

David L
05-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Those who saw the game completely, what you think? Did Davydenko do this or is it BS? Maybe Federer could learn from this...Yes, I noticed this, particularly against Murray at the Australian. Nadal's backhand is really a counter puncher's stroke. Off a dead ball, he struggles to generate pace, but hit it hard and it's easier for him. He protects it well with his forehand though. The difficulty is trying to get slow balls to his backhand without him running around it.

TheNatural
05-13-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree. It's no big secret . He doesnt have one of thse great backhand techniques that would let him sweep through the ball and generate easy power and topspin, say like a lot of the women have. Its more of a control shot where he kind of pushes it, but he can hit attacking counter punching shots with it when he's attacked. The hard task is getting away from that forehand.

Yes, I noticed this, particularly against Murray at the Australian. Nadal's backhand is really a counter puncher's stroke. Off a dead ball, he struggles to generate pace, but hit it hard and it's easier for him. He protects it well with his forehand though. The difficulty is trying to get slow balls to his backhand without him running around it.

FarFed
05-13-2007, 08:30 PM
Well from the looks of it, Davydenko's secret was simple - short, angled cross-court forehand to Nadal's backhand. Nadal was messing it up big time, was getting thrown out of position, Davydenko was killing it with a volley at the net. Good stuff, probably reveals a chink in the armour.

helloworld
05-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Well from the looks of it, Davydenko's secret was simple - short, angled cross-court forehand to Nadal's backhand. Nadal was messing it up big time, was getting thrown out of position, Davydenko was killing it with a volley at the net. Good stuff, probably reveals a chink in the armour.
I agree with this statement. The medium-paced short, angled cross-court forehand is what really troubled Nadal in that match. He couldn't generate pace against that type of shot and was frequently thrown out of position by that type of shot. The problem is can a player hit that type of shot with enough accuracy and consistency to trouble Nadal the whole match.

Nadal_Freak
05-13-2007, 09:35 PM
A very small weakness but I'm sure Nadal will figure it out. If not, than he might get beat soon.

gugarafa
05-13-2007, 10:30 PM
whatever the "chink..." is nadal won so it was more of resilience than skill today

FarFed
05-13-2007, 10:43 PM
whatever the "chink..." is nadal won so it was more of resilience than skill today

Oh yes, it was mental ability all the way, with all the grinding on clay for 3-4 hours - no doubt. I think Davy showed that it can be done, the key is consistency and precision. Davy was pretty ok on both those counts that day, but not as much as one needs to be when playing Nadal in this devastating form. One need to be accurate when playing Nadal.

kimizz
05-14-2007, 04:32 AM
Last year Jarkko Nieminen(finnish player, our national pride :) ,atp ~20) was close to beating Nadal at Barcelona. He won the first set and lead the second 4-1 until Rafa turned it around. Nieminen is known to be good at mixing the game...its not all topspin. I didnt see that game but maybe Jarkko was also appliying the tactic that Davydenko used on the semis in Rome. Maybe there is a weakness...

crosscourt
05-14-2007, 04:45 AM

I agree with Davydenko. And it wasn't just this year that taking the pace off had some success. Federer did it very well against Nadal in the final at Rome last year -- on that day Federer was let down by other aspects of his game. Nadal finds it harder than I expected to generate pace off the ball, on both sides though particularly on the b/h side. Whether this has anything to do with the pace of the courts in Rome I don't know. Davydenko also tried the Blake/Berdych trick of hitting the ball into Nadal's feet, and this worked from time to time -- it's better on a hard court. Above all, what I would say made Davydenko able to compete was concentration. He never even looked as if he let anything that happened in any point, game or set get to him. He just kept playing. Good on him.

hectornorton
05-14-2007, 05:26 AM
the most difficult clay court tournament for rafa is rome.. it's much faster than either hmburg or rg

i'd say the best chance other players have to beat him is at rome.. they blew it this time

although i think rafa could lose in hamburg this week.. he is making a huge effort over the last weeks..

he should take a break and get ready for rg

my bet is on fed this week.. he needs to recover fast if he wants to stand a chance for the fed-slam