PDA

View Full Version : In a backhand slump

Tempyst
05-12-2007, 01:32 PM
Here me citizens of TW! I am once again in need of your help :)

Today's problem? Backhand
My overall game has drastically improved over the last 5 months, thanks to this site and court time. However, for the past 5 months, I have also been working on something, a 1h-backhand. I started out as a 2h, then switched over to a 1h. After a match I played today in which I lost 4-6, my friend and I rallied. For fun, I decided to see how rusty my 2h backhand was. Surprisingly, not as rusty as I thought. I managed to hit 2 power drives, one dtl and one x-court out of 4 attempts. Other than my left shoulder feeling stretched, I quickly fell into my old 2hb groove. After this, I thought to myself, "if my 2h backhand is already this good even after 5 months, is it worth sticking with a 1h?" Now I'm at the point where I have to make a decision. Here is my overall evaluation of what my 1h-backhand is like:

Power

No complaints here, in fact when I first started, I had too much power but now sometimes I'm able to control it.

Angles

Definite problem here. Cross-court is extremely easy....a bit too easy. Now I can't hit a down-the-line without losing my comfort zone

Pace

Random, sometimes moonballs, sometimes drives, sometimes topspin, sometimes flat.

Consistency

Disgusting, it's never the same and I always switch to a slice in a middle of a rally.

Confidence

I'll be honest at this point. I decided to tryout a 1h backhand because it had the superficial appeal. 75% of the time now I switch to a slice in the middle of rally because I'm not confident enough in my 1hb to drive the ball.

Comfort

Balls that are just handed to me are ok, but when the rally starts to pick up, I can't seem to feel comfortable in hitting my 1hb.

Preparation

Same as comfort, I know the steps to prepare and I am able to get a consistent form everytime. But, when the pace starts to pick up, my preparation goes downhill.

There you have it, my 2.5 1hb as of right now from 5 months of work. From hitting 4 2hb balls, I am once again on the fence of continuing to practice my 1hb, or switch back to my old 2hb. The only problem I had with the 2hb was that my left shoulder was straining due to lack of use.

zapvor
05-12-2007, 04:50 PM
i use a 2h bh. it just depends on what you want. you should pick one and get good enough with it so you can rely on it. but you can always switch to the other kind just for fun. like i did today. i was hitting with 2 girls, and one of them mentioned she used to have a 2hbh, so i switched to 1hbh just for fun right away.

chrisak47
05-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I personally prefer you to use a 2 handed backhand but it is really your choice. I really need to see a video or something to really evaluate your one handed backhand.

Its really what you feel natural doing. I personally, feel soo awkward with a one hander. If it feels awkward or out of place, you shouldn't use it.