PDA

View Full Version : Should Nadal skip Hamburg to rest for RG?

tennisjunkiela
05-12-2007, 02:29 PM
I know Nadal is young and in great shape but I think that he should skip Hamburg to rest up and re-charge for Roland Garros.

To win four clay tournaments in a row would a miraculously feat for even someone like Nadal, one of the greatest clay court champions of all time.

Do you think he should withdraw from Hamburg?

inyourface
05-12-2007, 02:44 PM
yes, he is so tired now, win or lose the final no matter, he should withdraw

Bogie
05-12-2007, 02:49 PM
anyone who wants to see his record broken would say that he should suck it up and play, but if you want to look at it from a "him being fresh and ready" perspective, then he should withdraw and put his record on the line at RG.

Fedace
05-12-2007, 02:52 PM
I will bet my house Nadal will NOT play Hamburg, who wants to bet?

unkast
05-12-2007, 02:58 PM
Unless these dizzy spells are for real and Nadal isn't feeling 100%, then he should play.
First there's a week off after Hamburg and before RG. Second Nadal is leading the ATP race this late into the season for probably the first time in his career...Forgoing Masters Series points on clay could be costly for the #1 race later in the year.
At the same time it's all about the majors.. and it's hard to say if a week after Hamburg is enough to get ready for RG. Only Nadal knows if he needs more than a week to feel 100%.

ACE of Hearts
05-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I am trying to remember the last time someone played alll three and won the FO, does anyone know?I think he will skip it.

Nadal_Freak
05-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Nadal should forget about the race for #1 as he is unlikely to get it. Roland Garros should be his #1 priority so 2 weeks is the ideal amount of rest imo after such an exhausting match against Davydenko.

laurie
05-12-2007, 03:07 PM
Yes he should skip it.

edmondsm
05-12-2007, 03:14 PM
He will skip it. The real question is will Fed be able to win it.

Fedace
05-12-2007, 03:22 PM
He will skip it. The real question is will Fed be able to win it.

If Fed can win it, it will help his confidence great deal but it will be very difficult in lite of guys like Canas, Davydenko, and other clay courters that are really hot right now.:D

welcome2petrkordaland
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
my gut says he should skip it; he's already out in front of ATP year race and Roland Garros really matters most. after all, his shoulder prevented him from finishing the solitary (one and only) wimby prep last year when he was 1 set all against hewitt.

then again, with a Hamburg TMS shield, he'll have more points and have won 6 of the 9 TMS shields at the age of 20!! this is preliminary GOAT stuff. he has a week before paris.

TheNatural
05-12-2007, 03:53 PM
he should skip the doubles.

tennisjunkiela
05-12-2007, 06:12 PM
my gut says he should skip it; he's already out in front of ATP year race and Roland Garros really matters most. after all, his shoulder prevented him from finishing the solitary (one and only) wimby prep last year when he was 1 set all against hewitt.

then again, with a Hamburg TMS shield, he'll have more points and have won 6 of the 9 TMS shields at the age of 20!! this is preliminary GOAT stuff. he has a week before paris.

the TMS shields are important but won't mean a thing in the GOAT discussion if he doesn't win the Grand Slams like RG.

Mark Vessels
05-12-2007, 07:19 PM
the TMS shields are important but won't mean a thing in the GOAT discussion if he doesn't win the Grand Slams like RG.

he is playing anyways, it' on the draw sheet unless he tires out again

diegaa
05-12-2007, 08:20 PM
i dont know if he should skip it or not, all I want is a healthy, full-form nadal for RG.

CyBorg
05-12-2007, 09:56 PM
I think Nadal should skip RG to rest for Wimbledon. ;)

chiru
05-12-2007, 10:46 PM
Ideally I'd love to see Rafa (my fav atp player since he was circa 17ish) win hamburg, and win the RG and complete the triple master slam. But in terms of risk, the biggest risk he runs in not playing hamburg is fed getting points there if he wins (which its looking more and more like he probably wont). However If he does play, hes risking losing RG and Hamburg. He certainly is warmed up enough for RG so thats not the problem. I think age or not, hes been dizzy a few times, and he is tired after that davydenko match (like it or not) and its not like gonzo is a pushover final (at all). Nadal should rest up. hes earned it.

ibemadskillzz
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
he should not skip. you have to keep playing everyday, that's the way to stay in form. plus he is young, playing won't affect his stamina for the RG. Ask any tennis player, you might lose a little stamina but if you keep playing matches everyday, you see the ball better and play better and better feel of the game. you don't wanna go to RG and try to find his rhythm and form in the early rounds and risk an upset
You don't want Fed winning Ham and getting confidence to beat Nadal.

latinking
05-13-2007, 08:42 AM
I will be shocked if he plays it.

Fedace
05-13-2007, 08:45 AM
Tony Nadal is calling Hamburg right at this moment telling the tournament organizers how sorry they are for dumping on Hamburg once again. Sorry, chaps, maybe next year hey, gooday, and cheerios...

Nadal_Freak
05-13-2007, 09:03 AM
he should not skip. you have to keep playing everyday, that's the way to stay in form. plus he is young, playing won't affect his stamina for the RG. Ask any tennis player, you might lose a little stamina but if you keep playing matches everyday, you see the ball better and play better and better feel of the game. you don't wanna go to RG and try to find his rhythm and form in the early rounds and risk an upset
You don't want Fed winning Ham and getting confidence to beat Nadal.
I would there is a big difference between practicing everyday and playing intense tournament matches everyday along with the traveling. Much more wear and tear my guess.

Gilgamesh
05-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Nadal has skipped Hamburg for how many years now?

He should rest himself. It is already clear he doesn't need a "tune up" as indication by his domination on clay this season.

Fed on the other hand needs to regain his confidence and form.

urban
05-13-2007, 09:14 AM
Yes, he should skip it. Its raining at the moment in Germany, which will lead to a different kind of a clay surface. Its often cold and windy at Hamburg, completely different to Rome. Nadal should not overpace himself, but try to hold his great form. He has 15 winning clay matches under his belt, Fed at the moment has only 7 (5 wins). One hard match like that one against Davydenko is normal for a big tourney. Nadal will have one or two at RG, too, like last year against Matthieu. But he needs to be fresh and ready.

BigServer1
05-13-2007, 09:15 AM
The worst thing Nadal could do would be to win Hamburg, and be shot for 7 best of 5 matches at RG. I am sure Nadal would love to win Hamburg, but if I had to pick, I'd take the slam over the shield.

harrpau7
05-13-2007, 12:08 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6651863.stm

Looks like he is playing

Fedace
05-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Why not let us all email RAFA and tell him to get out of Hamburg, it would be better to rest up for french open, Hamburg has tendency to get real cold and it is easy to get injured.

tlm
05-13-2007, 06:19 PM
He should be sitting this one out.

Feņa14
05-13-2007, 07:42 PM
Nadal should play.

He was one of the players outraged when they said they were getting rid of one of the clay TMS so it wouldn't look good at all if he were to pull out of one for no apparent reason other than saving energy.

helloworld
05-13-2007, 09:30 PM
Nadal should play this tournament. If he loses, then he could figure out what went wrong with his game and fix it before Roland Garros comes up. The Davydenko match is a clear indication of what he should improve.

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Yes he should skip it...to be refreshed in the head and in the body

CEvertFan
05-14-2007, 12:21 AM
Too many players these days are always pulling out of tournaments at the last minute for no good reason. Nadal entered Hamburg because he apparantly wants to play there. If he withdraws then I think that stinks. Fans pay a LOT of money for tickets to go see their favorites play, and then to have to be told at the LAST minute that your favorite player Mr So and So or Miss So and So has withdrawn from the tournament at the last minute just says one thing about a lot of the players, unprofessionalism. It is a situation that is WAY out of hand lately and I for one don't like it at all. If a player doesn't really want to play the tournament, then don't enter. SIMPLE. The ONLY reasons a player should be withdrawing is if there is a serious personal problem (Sampras still played the AO, even though his coach died and he broke down and cried on the court but he still played, which to me says this dude has GUTS and heart and is DEDICATED and professional), or he/she is LEGITIMATELY injured.

As for Nadal being ready for Roland Garros, he's a young, very fit, very strong guy and should have no trouble after resting for a WEEK before having to play RG.

Rataplan
05-14-2007, 03:23 AM
If a player doesn't really want to play the tournament, then don't enter. SIMPLE.
Not that simple.

The Masters Series events are obligatory. It's not really a matter of chosing to participate in it by entering, is it?

CEvertFan
05-14-2007, 09:31 AM
Not that simple.

The Masters Series events are obligatory. It's not really a matter of chosing to participate in it by entering, is it?

I am aware that the Masters Series tournaments are obligatory but then why has Nadal skipped Hamburg every year until this year???

FalconX
05-14-2007, 09:50 AM
no I don't think they are all obligatory but you have to play at least 6 a year I think.

DueSouth
05-14-2007, 11:33 AM
I think he should have withdrawn from it cos if he gets injured or gets beaten then either he wouldnt be able to play RG or his confidance would be knocked......then again it can only be another positive thing if he wins it too

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 03:14 PM
This is the last year Hamburg is a Masters event. So it makes sense for everyone to play it even if they didnt in previous year.

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Nadal should play.

He was one of the players outraged when they said they were getting rid of one of the clay TMS.

Actually it is 2 they are getting rid of-Monte Carlo and Hamburg are both demoted to non-Masters level events next year.

Feņa14
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
Actually it is 2 they are getting rid of-Monte Carlo and Hamburg are both demoted to non-Masters level events next year.

Ahh yeah I forgot about Monte Carlo!

Even more reason to play then.

Nadal_Freak
05-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah that is the biggest bs I've ever heard of in tennis. Who made this stupid decision?

Baghdatis72
05-14-2007, 03:47 PM
Yeah that is the biggest bs I've ever heard of in tennis. Who made this stupid decision?

Could it be De Villiers? :rolleyes:

Chicane
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
wow, so Rafael is really playing Hamburg Rothenbaum, huh? it would really be foolish of him to play this tournament. Really. I hope he doesn't get injured because 2 weeks from now, he will be playing for something that means so much more...:confused: