PDA

View Full Version : steffi was a heartbreaker........

breakfast_of_champions
05-12-2007, 05:07 PM
just watching the old roland garros matches on ttc, steffi made navratilova, hingis, and sanchez-vicario all cry after there finals. steffi must hold the record for making opponents cry.

vkartikv
05-12-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes, she made me cry too when she retired and when she married agassi. She is the best tennis player of all time.

zapvor
05-12-2007, 05:30 PM
it could be her opponents are like that though. navrtlova anyways was a big baby.

FedSampras
05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
just watching the old roland garros matches on ttc, steffi made navratilova, hingis, and sanchez-vicario all cry after there finals. steffi must hold the record for making opponents cry.

I think Monica Seles holds the record for making Graff cry. I still remember that heartbreaking loss to Seles in Berlin (1990) match where a distraught confuse Graff was seen practicing a two handed backhand to keep up with Seles, as well as that highly emotional heartbreaking loss to Seles at the 1992French Finals then of course that demoralizing loss to Seles ( again) at the 1993 Aussie Open.

Parche must have seen it hence the KNIFING.

morten
05-13-2007, 01:32 AM
Seles would have dominated Graf if it wasn't for that incident.... I think..

laurie
05-13-2007, 01:48 AM

Phew!

No Condoleeza around now otherwise that statement would have been the start of something titanic!

Having read Monica's autobiography from 1997 - I was very emotional how she described the incident and what she went through afterwards.

I love Monica.

breakfast_of_champions
05-15-2007, 07:11 AM
I think Monica Seles holds the record for making Graff cry. I still remember that heartbreaking loss to Seles in Berlin (1990) match where a distraught confuse Graff was seen practicing a two handed backhand to keep up with Seles, as well as that highly emotional heartbreaking loss to Seles at the 1992French Finals then of course that demoralizing loss to Seles ( again) at the 1993 Aussie Open.

actually monica is tied with some others for the record number of times for making steffi cry.

the record is 0, and monica is tied with everyone else in the wta.

amazing how people see things the way they want, even when it comes to steffi's unemotional demeanor.

Craig Sheppard
05-15-2007, 07:39 AM
I think my first tennis crush was on Steffi Graf! I think it was some combination of legs & forehand... :*) But growing up she was just *it*, I probably watched all of her slam finals.

max
05-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Yeah, I had a crush, too. In fact, I wrote her foundation in Germany and they sent an autographed card! I was so pleasantly surprised that I found an old picture of myself on a tennis court, and autographed it and sent it to the foundation. Hope she got a laugh!

Her career, especially post-tennis, is a real joy to have seen.

Craig Sheppard
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
This is the Steffi I'll always remember...

http://images.beijing-2008.org/03/91/Img212019103.jpg

backhander
05-15-2007, 02:06 PM
This is the Steffi I'll always remember...

http://images.beijing-2008.org/03/91/Img212019103.jpg

wow that picture was old school, i like the racquet.

CEvertFan
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
Steffi definitely did her share of making her opponents cry, but then so do most of the greatest players.

suwanee4712
05-16-2007, 05:33 AM
Yeah, I had a crush, too. In fact, I wrote her foundation in Germany and they sent an autographed card! I was so pleasantly surprised that I found an old picture of myself on a tennis court, and autographed it and sent it to the foundation. Hope she got a laugh!

Her career, especially post-tennis, is a real joy to have seen.

Steffi is the first great champion that I saw from beginning to end as far as her career goes. It's amazing to look back at her now in 1984 and 1985 and see how she so quickly developed in 1986 and 1987. One of the things I feel good about the most is that Steffi was able to fight her way back from injuries and end her career back at the top. She was an amazing athlete and an amazing tennis player for a long period of time.

Condoleezza
05-20-2007, 09:00 PM

Yes, #1 Seles losing 5 of 7 matches against Graf is a clear indication for this. As is Seles's outstanding performance at age 21-30.

Condoleezza
05-20-2007, 09:01 PM
Phew!

No Condoleeza around now otherwise that statement would have been the start of something titanic!

Having read Monica's autobiography from 1997 - I was very emotional how she described the incident and what she went through afterwards.

I love Monica.

At least she could make some money by selling her "autobiography" at the tender age of 23 ....

rommil
05-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Yes, #1 Seles losing 5 of 7 matches against Graf is a clear indication for this. As is Seles's outstanding performance at age 21-30.
Condi,make sure you pay your taxes.....

ATPballkid
05-20-2007, 09:03 PM

Seles came on to win 11 out of 15 of the major singles titles in 1990, 1991, 1992 and 1993 before the stabbing ... and someone needed to open the door back up for Graf ... Gunther Parche did that.

ATPballkid
05-20-2007, 09:07 PM
At least she could make some money by selling her "autobiography" at the tender age of 23 ....

Yes, they were the supposed beneficiaries of physical attacks on athletes in their sports who were higher ranked than they were.

navratilovafan
05-20-2007, 09:50 PM

OK try getting knifed in the back in a place you thought was safe, in a place you thought the worst thing that could happen is losing a tennis match, never did violence or attempted murder enter your mind. You then experience in this supposed safe place a knife plunged deep in your back, which would have killed you had you not bent forward in your chair a little bit. Try then having that horrible man not sentenced to any prison time and set free. See how you do when you return to this occupation you love, but where you experienced almost being killed and an attempted murder on you, when you thought you were in a place completely safe and free from violence. Try that and see how you recover and return to that occupation and first love of yours, just try it.

Condoleezza
05-21-2007, 12:04 PM

FOR THE RECORD:

A Selesian high-jacks a thread that praises Graf and didn't mention Seles until now.
Wonder what the mods will do.
Nothing of course.
Because they are American and Seles is, too.

But wait until I bring up Graf in a Seles thread ....

EZRA
05-21-2007, 12:55 PM
I think my first tennis crush was on Steffi Graf! I think it was some combination of legs & forehand... :*) But growing up she was just *it*, I probably watched all of her slam finals.

Same here, watched as much matches as I can since the Philippines started to have cable ... I love how she glides on the court. That great footwork, totally unmatched. The powerful forehand that you'd think would sail away yet it consistently stays in. The knifing backhand.. the mental toughness. Such a great champion.

Although... I never found her attractive though .. she does have a nice body.