PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain grips for me?

backhander
05-12-2007, 10:32 PM
I have always been confused about grips, for instance what is a western vs a semi-western vs a continental grip. And are there any other types of grips?

I don't even know what kind of grip i use, basically when i hold my forehand grip, if i were to hold my arm outward from my side, the front face would be angled downward a little bit. I do this to try to get some topspin. What kind of grip is that? When i hit my two handed backhand i try to angle the front face down a little bit as well, but then that means I have to change my grip.

Also, do people change grips when you hit from forehand to a backhand? Or even from serving. Is that normal practice? Or do people just use one grip for everything?

Just always wondered, so I thought I would ask, any advise would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bottle Rocket
05-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Here is the absolute best grip guide you will find anywhere on the internet--->

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

I haven't found anything that makes it as simple as that. Print that out and carry it with you, it is a great thing to have around... Especially if arguments come up!

A continental forehand grip should be used for serves, volleys, and backhand slices. There is no debate about that.

Eastern, Semi-western, and western are all very common and acceptable forehand grips. Grip changes are extremely common for backhands and forehands, except for one or two exceptions. The two handed backhands involes two grips, usually a continental on your dominate arm and something starting with eastern for the non-dominant arm. I realize this makes no sense, but it will eventually.

Check this website for strokes and grip information in video form-->

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-select-your-forehand-grip

Check out the videos on the two-handed backhand for grip selection. The forehand instructional video also goes into detail about grips. The serve and volley video's show the continental very well.

My opinion is that you should start with the basics and use an eastern forehand grip and slowly progress towards a semi-western. At that point you will have your own style and will know if you want to stick with that, go less extreme, or go more extreme.

Like I said before, continental for all serves, volleys, and backhand slices. The continental grip is easy to find. If you pretend your racket is an axe or a hammer and hold it that way, that is a continental. Picking your racket up off the ground will generally give you an eastern forehand grip.

backhander
05-12-2007, 11:07 PM
that's awesome info, thanks Bottle Rocket!

So i've learned that for serving i have a continental grip, then a semi-western forehand grip, and a two handed backhand grip. These are the grips that I've been using, I just never knew their names.

paulfreda
05-13-2007, 02:32 AM
http://www.waileatennis.com/grips.htm

Duzza
05-13-2007, 04:23 AM
I honestly think that I have been using a Eastern/SW grip my whole life :p. I always felt the Western was a SW.

Wow...I have been using an Eastern....no wonder people complain about my flat shots....

lidation
05-13-2007, 07:13 AM
I honestly think that I have been using a Eastern/SW grip my whole life :p. I always felt the Western was a SW.

Wow...I have been using an Eastern....no wonder people complain about my flat shots....

Me two. I have been using eastern always as a matter of fact. Hmmm... Should switch a bit to the Semi-western. I asked my coach a few times about the grip, but he always said "whatever grip that you feel comfortable with". But I guess maybe I'm just too much of a noob that he just don't want me to worry about too many things.

Mountain Ghost
05-13-2007, 07:38 AM
Tennis Grips . . . Quick Guide:

http://www.mountainghosttennis.com/tennisgrips.html

MG

JeffSmith1234
05-13-2007, 10:00 AM
This may seem a really basic question. There seems to be a lot of reference to the "dominant" hand, this assumes that the reader knows which hand is the dominant hand.

So, for a rightie playing a double handed backhand. Which hand is the dominant one?

Right or left?

LarougeNY
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Here is the absolute best grip guide you will find anywhere on the internet, in my opinion--->

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

I haven't found anything that makes it as simple as that. Print that out and carry it with you, it is a great thing to have around... Especially if arguments come up!

Wow. Thanks bottle rocket, thats the best and most informative grip guide I've seen.

zapvor
05-13-2007, 11:13 AM
^LOL someone else answer this one.

Bottle Rocket
05-13-2007, 11:29 AM
This may seem a really basic question. There seems to be a lot of reference to the "dominant" hand, this assumes that the reader knows which hand is the dominant hand... So, for a rightie playing a double handed backhand. Which hand is the dominant one?

The dominant hand is not a tennis term. If you're right-handed, your right hand is the dominant one.

For a two handed backand your dominant hand will be closest to your body, the same location it would be if you used only one hand (but NOT the same grip!).

LarougeNY, you're welcome... Hopefully that is helpful. I wish there was an easier way for people to find that kind of thing, there are so many confusing grip explanations all over the place.

zapvor
05-13-2007, 11:48 AM
^LOL. there you go....

inthesky
05-13-2007, 02:08 PM
great links are posted above. i was just looking at the tennis.com one and was wondering if you're really supposed to be holding the racket that high for the eastern forehand?

when i hold it like that, with wrist laid back, i just cant seem to hold the racket closed enough at all.... i'm quite confused these days with that because i can either hold it like that (with the buttcap pointing out below the wrist), i cant close it. but if i hold it with the buttcap level with the wrist, i find it puts alot of force on my wrist so i cnat hit it with pace, but i can close the racet?.

Brian_C
05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
those links where really help full for me thanks a bundle

JeffSmith1234
05-16-2007, 01:23 PM
This text was straight off one of the links:

Two-Handed Backhand Grip
There's no doubting the popularity of this grip, but there is some debate about the ideal way to position both hands. One of the most accepted ways is to hold the racquet in your dominant hand with a Continental grip.

Right hand.