PDA

View Full Version : Is it normal to play bad when you play someone bad?

backhander
05-12-2007, 11:40 PM
So I'm usually able to play pretty consistent and well. From ratings, i would guess I am around a 2.5 to 3.0 player, i'm not sure of course just totally guessing. I can hit with pace (meaning i'm comfortable going after my shots and hitting out) and can use topspin to keep it in and play it safe.

I usually play well and can hold my own with people with my same capability and those who are a little more advance, but the other week I played twice, against a couple of guys who were not that good. I mean they had no technique/form, balls sprayed everywhere, shots came short then long, could not hit a consistent rally. These guys were beginners basically.

I mean I know i play better than them, but it was also hard for me to play when they played like that. I'm used to hitting off of pace, but it totally threw me off when balls would come off unpredictably from their rackets, I mean is that normal? I just felt way off and didn't feel like I was hitting well. I admit I was also playing lazily though because of the shots i was receiving. For instance balls came so short that since I'm at the baseline i would just let it bounce 2-3 times.

I dunno, does anyone else have the same problem when they play someone who is not good at tennis? Or maybe i just really suck lol.

Mick
05-12-2007, 11:51 PM
I think it is true you would play better if you rally with a good player because he/she would feed you very nice balls to hit.

ps60
05-13-2007, 12:11 AM
dun be a free coach, ask them to take lessons

backhander
05-13-2007, 12:27 AM
dun be a free coach, ask them to take lessons

lol, they were my friends from work that wanted to play tennis so I said I would hit with them. But I just looked bad after telling them that I loved to play tennis lol.

mclee025
05-13-2007, 01:15 AM
Beginners with little control will hit the balls all over the place without any consistency thereby making it difficult for anyone to get into much of a groove. It's perfectly normal to feel out of sorts under such circumstances. I think the following old saying is applicable in this situation: "you can't soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys".

rbowser
05-13-2007, 06:07 AM
i Dunno, i think it is kinda true. Almost any sport, when you play someone above your level (not like pro (unless you are about to become pro:) ) you would play your best just to 'keep up', but when you play someone really bad, you tend to slack off, and you don't take it seriously, so yo:) u mishit, more errors, etc. Or your not good enough to handle these junkballs, I know I can't sometimes. Its sooo difficult.

richw76
05-13-2007, 07:16 AM
Even if they stink you can still have fun and make it productive. I have a park near my house that I go to sometimes and find random pickup games. The skill levels I incounter vary dramaticly. From beginners to 4.5's. First off if you are a 2.5-3.0 you are probably not that good, or consistant, and may have bad technique.

If you play someone good they are either feeding you, or you are basicly blocking which is easier and makes you feel better.

When you play the bad guy don't abbreviate your swing or start looking at teh grass grow. concentrate, keep your swings the same(good technique) just slower, keep your eye on the ball.

after awhile you will be as consistant as you think you are ;-)

Fedace
05-13-2007, 07:20 AM
So I'm usually able to play pretty consistent and well. From ratings, i would guess I am around a 2.5 to 3.0 player, i'm not sure of course just totally guessing. I can hit with pace (meaning i'm comfortable going after my shots and hitting out) and can use topspin to keep it in and play it safe.

I usually play well and can hold my own with people with my same capability and those who are a little more advance, but the other week I played twice, against a couple of guys who were not that good. I mean they had no technique/form, balls sprayed everywhere, shots came short then long, could not hit a consistent rally. These guys were beginners basically.

I mean I know i play better than them, but it was also hard for me to play when they played like that. I'm used to hitting off of pace, but it totally threw me off when balls would come off unpredictably from their rackets, I mean is that normal? I just felt way off and didn't feel like I was hitting well. I admit I was also playing lazily though because of the shots i was receiving. For instance balls came so short that since I'm at the baseline i would just let it bounce 2-3 times.

I dunno, does anyone else have the same problem when they play someone who is not good at tennis? Or maybe i just really suck lol.

yea it is perfectly normal to play bad when you play someone bad like when i play 4.0 guys, i play much worse than if i play against 5.0 guys.

Bagumbawalla
05-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Most everybody thinks they are a better tennis player than they really are.

We begin to realise our weakpoints when we play someone much better or much worse than ourselves.

Naturally, it is easier to play a partner who hits the ball consistantly to your comfort zone with the same pace every time.

In the case of playing a bad/hacker/novice, as pointed out above, you get an inconsistant array of balls all over the place. If you are not fit and grooved and capable of supplying your own pace- and if your shot mechanics has any hitches, your game (the game you thought was so good) will fall apart.

The good part is, you learn where you need the most work. Improve those things and you will begin to play better against the stronger players as well.

jasoncho92
05-13-2007, 09:33 AM
I play a lot worse when playing with bad people as well

FEDEX1
05-13-2007, 09:39 AM
i effin hate when these sucky players just do a dink second serve. for some reason it's hard for me to get back. all i do is just slice it back but it makes me feel like im doing bad so sometimes i tried to smack it back and i over-hit it or hit the net.

backhander
05-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Most everybody thinks they are a better tennis player than they really are.

We begin to realise our weakpoints when we play someone much better or much worse than ourselves.

Naturally, it is easier to play a partner who hits the ball consistantly to your comfort zone with the same pace every time.

In the case of playing a bad/hacker/novice, as pointed out above, you get an inconsistant array of balls all over the place. If you are not fit and grooved and capable of supplying your own pace- and if your shot mechanics has any hitches, your game (the game you thought was so good) will fall apart.

The good part is, you learn where you need the most work. Improve those things and you will begin to play better against the stronger players as well.

I think I definitely need to work on my footwork and movement. I do notice that alot of my shots that I wasn't happy with was because I felt out of position, either having to reach out in front of me for a short ball or not being ready for a ball that was heading beyond the sides of the court or heading long. So I did a lot of running but i wasn't paying attention to make the footing adjustments once I got to the ball. I was definitely playing lazy cause of the balls I was getting, I'll make sure to not do that next time.

tennis_hand
05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
I think it happens to everyone. but once in a while, everyone will face these players. It is frustrating, isn't it? Crap balls are not the easiest to return, esp if your hitting partner always send crap balls to you by double hitting it. ;)

well, if you want them to look bad too, just send loopy balls to them, not exactly as high as moon balls, just some head-high topspin shots, and beginners won't know how to handle them.

Narcissist
05-15-2007, 05:10 AM
I'm about the same lvl as you (2.5 - 3.0) and have the same issues espeically with consistancy. It is so hard to deal with the huge variety of balls you get from total beginners :( It just shows up weaknesses pretty quickley.

I rallied with a good coach once who hit every ball exactly the same and I never had to take more than 2 steps to hit them back. Best I have ever played.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 07:54 PM
The balls that are difficult to beginners: head-high topspin shots, slices, or lobs.

Beginners like hard, fast and low shots(not slice). so don't feed them these balls if u find they are beating you. lol.. when I find them irritating, I'll try to slice on both sides and this will throw them off as they can't predict well the traveling path of slices.

zapvor
05-15-2007, 07:59 PM
i thought i posted stuff in here....are all my posts getting deleted??

Noveson
05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I think at a certain point, once you get out of their level this doesn't happen anymore. In my opinion skill levels in tennis kind of plateu before they go up again if you know what I mean. You might be getting better strokes, but your consistency hasn't caught up and so on. Sooner or later, once you can hit your hard shots consistently, this wont happen anymore. My opinion anyway.