PDA

View Full Version : Finishing short higher balls

Hot Sauce
05-13-2007, 12:02 AM
What are the main things to keep in mind when you want to finish the short, higher ball around the service line or a bit closer to the net? (with your forehand)

As of lately, I can't seem to keep them in the court :(, I don't know if I'm not taking the shot serious enough (cuz its a relatively easy forehand), but I try to dominate the ball and it just ends up going way off into the fence.

Also, is it probably best to hit flat to put the ball away?

Bagumbawalla
05-13-2007, 10:34 AM
There are different ways to strike the ball, depending on circumstances and your prefrences/abilities, but the important thing is not to over-hit the ball.

You are close to the net. You have all kinds of angles to work with. Unless you are playing someone like Nadal, you can just pop it, away from the opponent, into the open court for a winner.

You can punch it, like a volley, deep and away from the opponent and follow it to the net.

You can dropshot, also away from the opponent and cover the net for a possible desperate scurry to scoop it up.

You can hit a drive with topspin. Remember that you are used to hitting deep drives from the baseline so, if you hit the same exact stroke your ball will sail long. If the ball is above the net, you can hit SOMEWHAT downward aiming about a foot over the net with PLENTY OF TOPSPIN to drive the ball down into the court. Hit at an angle, away from the opponent, or wait till he/she moves and place the ball behind the opponent. Do not hit too much down- you will net the ball.

Remember, you are at an advantage. You don't have to rush or overhit in this situation. If you don't hit a winner, you should get a weak response for an easy volley or overhead.

If you are playing doubles, the placements would be slightly different, but the strokes would be the same.

B

jasoncho92
05-13-2007, 10:52 AM
When that happens to me, i usually hit a dropshot or hit an angled shot that lands on the other service line

zapvor
05-13-2007, 11:12 AM
just smash it away dude. go all out and loop the swing and bam. but keep it in by aiming way inside the baseline. you will feel good after the point.

Hot Sauce
05-13-2007, 11:28 AM
just smash it away dude. go all out and loop the swing and bam. but keep it in by aiming way inside the baseline. you will feel good after the point.

It's not that high; about at shoulder height.

zapvor
05-13-2007, 11:46 AM
It's not that high; about at shoulder height.

yea thats what i pictured too. instead of hitting a regular forehand, just smash it away. i dont mean a smash overhead smash. i mean put that sucker away smashhhhhhhh :P very fun to hit. even if it goes out.

Borat
05-13-2007, 11:53 AM
heavy topspin crosscourt.

dave333
05-13-2007, 11:57 AM
I use a western grip so higher, the easier.

However, you have all sorts of options. Try slicing, drop shots, angle shots, etc.