PDA

View Full Version : Continental forehand

misterg
05-13-2007, 02:23 AM
Hy, I'm 46 and 1,5 year's ago I switched to my left hand because of a sore right wrist (seems like arthitis). Now I play lefty, on the forehand side I try to hit it with an Eastern grip (like I did with my right hand...) but I'm much confortable with an "old school" continental... I try to hit flatter strokes (to get some pace - because i'm not so strong with my left hand) and I play only on clay. With the continental I just strike the ball cleaner. I know that it is not the best grip (expecially on clay) and I try to adjust to the eastern but I can't strike the ball so clean like wiht the cont. What do you think, stay with continental or perseverate in adjusting to the eastern?
Thanks

Baghdatis72
05-13-2007, 03:14 AM
You can check this similar topic here:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=1440842#post1440842

One of he bad things with the continental grip is that it's almost impossible to generate topspin and it's hard to hit the ball at the right moment when the opponent hits with a lot of topspin.
If you decide to change to an eastern forehand grip then the time you hit the ball must be earlier and the swing that you use must be different in order to generate topspin and hit the ball clean.

dave333
05-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Also its hard for continental to hit high shots.

I think you just need to watch the ball more with eastern.

Bagumbawalla
05-13-2007, 10:47 AM
After reading your question, I went out and tried hitting left-handed against the wall with various grips.

They all felt awkward, so I congratulate you on making the switch.

If you are just a recreational player, and your are satisfied with the way you are playing with the continental, I see no point in changing.

If you have any asperations, whatsoever, of playing at a higher level, then I agree that you should play with an eastern, or better, a semi-western for clay courts.

Is the effort worth it to you? That is the decision you will have to make. However, since you took the time to ask the question, I think you may just be lookiing for some encouragement to do the right thing.

I also agree that the problem may be more with timing than the grip. There is a lot to relearn and your whole body has to adjust to new sensations/ballance/demands.

Good luck,

B

misterg
05-14-2007, 09:40 AM
Thank's for the reply. I'll try to switch to eastern...

Baghdatis72
05-14-2007, 09:43 AM
Thank's for the reply. I'll try to switch to eastern...

I was using a forehand grip which was between the continental and the eastern but I used to make tons of unforced errors and I decided to switch to the extreme eastern forehand grip (something between the eastern and the SW) and the difference is amazing :D

You can hit forehands with more topspin easily, you can hit the ball earlier on its rise so that your opponent has less time to prepare for a return and you can hit with better angles ;)

bluestreak711
05-14-2007, 10:46 PM
i also was right handed and made the switch because i thought it would have its advantages i am just 15 and here are some of my experiences

1.I have slightly differnet playing styles with each hand.

2.Some shots are better than others depending on which hand you use.

3.Switching will cause you to have a more powerful 2 handed backhand.(Nadal was right handed and his coach switched him when he was young for this reason)

4.Using your other hand,you will develop spin on your serve easier.(Commonly slice)

More personal experiences for me:
Left handed serve.All spin,no pop.
Right handed serve.All pop no spin.

Left handed forehand slice.Is my best shot and I put side spin on it as well.

On my right handed side it is my backhand slice with side spin.

well i hope this helped i just wanted to show you the advantages of switchingand let you know kinda what to expect....i havent really found any disadvantages after you get used to it well good luck

misterg
05-15-2007, 09:43 AM
Talking about advantages I experienced this: my footwork and using the whole body (not only the arm) is much better when I play lefty probably because my non dominant hand is a lot weaker so i have to "compensate"... wich is better. The downside is that now I'm about 3.0 instead of 4.0...:(

spadesss
05-16-2007, 04:49 AM
it may not be not idea to leaned/played both depending on the situation.
you can use continential if your opponent doesn't hit a lot or excessive topspin. and use eastern ito counter it if they do.
contenential is just for hitting the flat balls.
eastern can slice, flat, and topspin.
margin of error of continential is very small. but the ball will reach the other side of the court a lot faster and give you opponent less time to react.
but if you have to pick, i recommended eastern among the two as you can have so much variety.