PDA

View Full Version : I have trouble returning hard serves.

darylrulez
09-21-2004, 03:48 AM
my friend has a real hard serve and i find it difficult to return it. i have a little eye sight problem. i have to wear my specs to be able to play at night. if not i cant see. so is it because of my eye sight cause i cant really judge where the ball is going.

JohnThomas1
09-21-2004, 04:32 AM
Can you return it in the day? If your specs are optically correct they should not be at fault. If your eyes are still bad even with the specs it would surely be tough to return a big serve.

thehustler
09-21-2004, 07:41 AM
Is it tough for you just to return on one side? Only problems with the bh, fh or both? Is he body jamming you? What level do you play at? Where are you standing when you attempt to return? More info would be good.

kevhen
09-21-2004, 08:14 AM
Try more of a block return than taking a huge swing against big servers. Wear contacts if possible. Back up another step behind the baseline if your timing is late.

Bungalo Bill
09-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Well if you cant judge the serve quickly on a hard serve, it really doesnt matter if you block, back up, take it on the rise or anything. If you get to the ball late - your late!

You need to make an effort to improve your ability to pick up the ball no matter which part of the day or night you choose to play. The best way to do this is to have someone hit serves to you while they are standing behind the service line. Your reaction time will improve and your sense of where the ball is going will improve as well.

The block return is a very important return of serve to learn. It is a defensive return of serve and comes in handy to get the point started. If you block well enough you can put a good amount of pace on the ball that can catch the server off balance or can be an element of surprise.

The block return works better if you learn to take it earlier rather then stepping back behind the baseline. So you can practice this in your return of serve drills.

darylrulez
09-21-2004, 09:49 PM
i cant return it during the day. i can see the balll during the day but not the night. alright thanks bill