PDA

View Full Version : 2HBH OWN Clay!

soyizgood
05-13-2007, 08:39 AM
It just seems clay courts were made for 2HBH players. Evert and Borg hold the record for most French Open titles. Nadal has won 77 straight on clay. The last 4 Americans to win the French (Agassi, Courier, Chang, S. Williams) are/were 2HBH.

I'm thinking the 2HBH is better at returning high balls and taking the ball on the rise. 1HBH has less room for error and unless you have a lot of variety on that shot, you can't really punish people with it on clay.

Federer is my favorite player and I root for him against Nadal. I just have to tip my hat to the clay master 2HBH Nadal, yet again.

War, Safin!
05-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Weren't Lendl...Kuerten...Wilander...Muster all one-handed backhand players and all pretty good on clay?

thefan
05-13-2007, 08:46 AM
With all being equal, who will generate more topspin a 2hbh or 1hbh player?

diegaa
05-13-2007, 08:47 AM
Weren't Lendl...Kuerten...Wilander...Muster all one-handed backhand players and all pretty good on clay?

add gaudio and vilas.

Zimbo
05-13-2007, 08:58 AM

Wilander was a two hander

Nadal_Freak
05-13-2007, 09:01 AM
Yeah I think a 2HBH is a slight advantage for clay courters. They seem to be more consistent and better equipped to handle high balls.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-13-2007, 09:06 AM
before nadal won the french twice, the current winner has a onehander.

kimizz
05-13-2007, 11:14 AM
2HBH doesnt own clay. Nadal owns clay and he happens to hit it with both hands.

I think Nadal can make the 1hander look like a weakness. But its not true. IF it was true, then every two hander would destroy Federer on clay with simple tactic of putting pressure to hes BH.

soyizgood
05-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Debatable answer. A 2HBH player should be able to return topspin more often than a 1HBH. Most 1HBH players use Eastern, which is not very topspin friendly.

Ripper
05-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Justine Henin is the best clay courter out of the current WTA players and she has a beautiful 1hbh. Her male clone (technique wise), Richard Gasquet, is pretty damn good on clay and, also, has an incredible 1hbh. Oh and it's not true that most pros with 1hbh use eastern bh grips anymore. Look closely and you'll see many are using extreme eastern bh grips, in order to get more topspin and, therefore, angles, etc.

tennis_hand
05-13-2007, 06:00 PM
Nadal is so good on clay because of his movements on clay, not because of his backhand. His movement style is built for clay courts, running, sliding with wide-open steps. He also does these on hard courts, but it is nothing spectacular, wide-big strides don't work on hard courts and he is easily beaten. Can you say his backhand suddenly got so bad on hard court?

Voltron
05-13-2007, 06:07 PM

I have hit both for a time, both eastern grips, and the 1HBH produced much more spin because a wrist snap could be proformed, whereas the 2HBH is easier to hit flat. Also, I found more power in the 1HBH vs the 2HBH.

edmondsm
05-13-2007, 06:21 PM
I love seeing clay-courters with 1HBH's. Even Puerta's weird BH. Remember that guy?