PDA

View Full Version : Serve Toss

backhander
05-13-2007, 12:34 PM
I'm trying to make my serve more consistent and be able to spin it in. One of the problems I have is with a consistent toss.

I have heard that one of the things for a consistent toss is to make sure that your tossing arm is straight and not bent any time during the toss, is that correct?

Also, I read items where they specify things like toss it behind you or to the right, etc. But is that tossing it behind me relative to me or the baseline? Cause I usually stand at a slight angle towards the baseline.

Matt_MS
05-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Try putting all your weight on your back foot when you toss.

es-0
05-13-2007, 12:52 PM
The direction of the toss is relative to you.

With the arm keep it straight and just raise the ball into the air not throwing it. Try to cut out any movement with that arm as well (ie. don't drop your tossing arm before you start to raise you arm and stuff).

Try to keep your weight on your back foot during the toss. Start with your weight on your front-foot when you bounce the ball then rock back so your weight is on your back-foot, toss the ball then move your weight forward as you swing.

A thing I do to keep my toss under control is to hold two balls when I practice tossing the ball. Hold the ball you will toss with your index, middle finger and thumb and have the second ball below it held with your other two fingers. Practicing this really helps me get the toss where I want.

Good luck.

hiltonhead
05-13-2007, 05:30 PM
keep your palm facing up throughout toss. This will help keep your arm straight and control your movement.

Bodacious DVT
05-13-2007, 05:43 PM
go to your bedroom and put a dot on the ceiling where you want your toss to be. toss a ball and try to hit the dot as many times as your can.

Brian_C
05-13-2007, 06:26 PM
thats really good advice i need it cause i have a bad toss

rbowser
05-13-2007, 07:21 PM
Lol, I have the same problem. Sometimes when i'm angry or rushed during a serve, it goes all over the place. Yes, just pretend your lifting it, not tossing. Oh yeah, the ball shouldn't have spin on it, it shouldn't rotate, just a gentle up and down

10s talk
05-13-2007, 07:41 PM
hold on to the ball longer, if you release the ball with your arm extended upward the ball has to go only 6-10"

if you release the ball at shoulder high or lower, the toss can go all over the place.

sapient007
05-13-2007, 07:50 PM
practice, practice, practice. i took me a good 1000+ tosses to get it where i can depend on it.

zapvor
05-13-2007, 07:58 PM
i think this is one of the biggest issues with serving. i still cant get mine consistent. ugh

sapient007
05-13-2007, 08:33 PM
i think this is one of the biggest issues with serving. i still cant get mine consistent. ugh

i find taking a little step as i toss helps (left feet). it's something roddick amongst other pros does. it doesn't do much aside from helping my mind to get into a rhythm when tossing.

the biggest improvement i've found is to establish a routine before your toss. ie. it it's 3 bounces before you toss, then make sure you bounce it 3 times each and every time.

backhander
05-13-2007, 09:23 PM
how high do you guys recommend tossing the ball?

zapvor
05-13-2007, 10:32 PM
i find taking a little step as i toss helps (left feet). it's something roddick amongst other pros does. it doesn't do much aside from helping my mind to get into a rhythm when tossing.

the biggest improvement i've found is to establish a routine before your toss. ie. it it's 3 bounces before you toss, then make sure you bounce it 3 times each and every time.

what do you mean step? can you clarify please?

i do have a rythm going. always 3 bounces. i think i need to work on my awareness more.

10s talk
05-14-2007, 09:02 AM
how high do you guys recommend tossing the ball?

about 6 inches higher than your racket can reach

sapient007
05-14-2007, 09:06 AM
what do you mean step? can you clarify please?

i do have a rythm going. always 3 bounces. i think i need to work on my awareness more.

to take the weight off my left feet. same as ppl point their toes up during the toss motion, i take a slight step. there was a thread about it here awhile back. I tried it and find it to work well with me. P.S i serve flat form stance. none of that roddick pin point stuff.

do a search on youtube for roddick serve in slow motion. you'll notice he takes his feet off the ground for a slight sec right before he tosses.