PDA

View Full Version : Nadal IS playing Hamburg

harrpau7
05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
This link confirms it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6651863.stm

How good will it be if Rafa wins here, holding all 3 Masters Series on Clay, what am acheivement that would be!!

FedFan_2007
05-13-2007, 12:14 PM
This link confirms it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/tennis/6651863.stm

How good will it be if Rafa wins here, holding all 3 Masters Series on Clay, what am acheivement that would be!!

Sure would be an edurance feat. Just the day before he was talking about being totally burnt out, destroyed. Then he smashes Fena 2&2 and is now totally confident he'll blitz the field at Hamburg and Roland Garros. And ya know what, he probably will.

jman
05-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Man, it would be an achievment, but there is also a risk of burnout here, with Roland Garros starting straight after Hamburg. I think Nadal is playing only to stop Federer's chance of winning Hamburg which is a smart tactic, stop Fed from gaining any confidence going into the French, after his poor performances these past few weeks and the split from Roache!!
Nadal is thinking outside the square!!

goforgold99
05-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Nadal is playing because this year the Top-Seeds get Byes in Hamburg and because Rome Final was only best of 3.

Fed said that in an interview. They both would have played Hamburg last year if there would've been byes, because then they had one day more rest

Nadal_Freak
05-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I say Nadal is playing because he is making a statement on how much this tournament means to him. How wrong it is for them to downgrade this tournament in particular. Unfortunately Nadal had 2 5 hour matches in back to back years so he couldn't recover in time for Hamburg.

Tennis_Monk
05-13-2007, 01:28 PM
Nadal will make an appearence at the Hamburg. He is going to pull out at some stage. Feat or not, it is not [practical to play such long with no rest.

He needs to defend RG. Thats the key. Federer, if even we assume he wins Hamburg, it means not much for Nadal.

Pro Staff Pete
05-13-2007, 01:33 PM
He's going for 100!

gdsballer
05-13-2007, 01:33 PM
if he doesn't pull out, he'll lose

J-man
05-13-2007, 01:38 PM
We must also remeber that last year Nadal played a 5 setter at Rome and this year played a 3 setter. He is playing because he feels good.

ajspurs
05-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Im surprised hes not gonna rest, but im glad hes gonna be playing, hope its on sky sports.

edmondsm
05-13-2007, 01:48 PM
It would be incredible if he won Hamburg and the FO. He should be careful though, the injury spiral can start at any time.

CyBorg
05-13-2007, 01:50 PM
I guess he would feel guilty if he skipped it after leading the uproar over ATP's proposed calendar changes.

Zaragoza
05-13-2007, 01:52 PM
Man, it would be an achievment, but there is also a risk of burnout here, with Roland Garros starting straight after Hamburg. I think Nadal is playing only to stop Federer's chance of winning Hamburg which is a smart tactic, stop Fed from gaining any confidence going into the French, after his poor performances these past few weeks and the split from Roache!!
Nadal is thinking outside the square!!

Roland Garros doesnīt start straight after Hamburg. There is one week to rest (or more if he doesnīt reach the final).
I think itīs a good decission if he doesnīt play doubles. It seems to me that Nadal is never tired of playing on clay (he played singles and doubles in Barcelona just after Montecarlo with success and he destroyed Gonzalez the day after a really tough match). On hardcourts itīs different, he is prone to injuries after his foot surgery so he needs to be careful but on clay itīs not a problem.

oscar_2424
05-13-2007, 02:07 PM
I hope he is not playing doubles also.

jman
05-13-2007, 02:14 PM
Roland Garros doesnīt start straight after Hamburg. There is one week to rest (or more if he doesnīt reach the final).
I think itīs a good decission if he doesnīt play doubles. It seems to me that Nadal is never tired of playing on clay (he played singles and doubles in Barcelona just after Montecarlo with success and he destroyed Gonzalez the day after a really tough match). On hardcourts itīs different, he is prone to injuries after his foot surgery so he needs to be careful but on clay itīs not a problem.

Really, I thought FO was straight after Hamburg, must have changed the dates or something. I guess the clay is soft on the joints compared to the other surfaces, that's why Nadal is playing so much.

Zaragoza
05-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I hope he is not playing doubles also.

I checked the doubles draw and Nadal is not there. Federer/Wawrinka will play Blake/Fish in 1st round.

Baghdatis72
05-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Nadal is a tireless 20 year old so he doesn't need to rest all the time. He is used to running and playing tennis all day in the clay since he was a kid in the small Spanish island of the Mediterranean.

Zaragoza
05-13-2007, 03:05 PM
Nadal confirmed in a radio interview a few minutes ago that he is going to play Hamburg.

Fedace
05-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Ok guys, come tomorrow, nadal will pull out of Hamburg, he will show up though then he will pull out. he will make appearance just cause he feels bad

ACE of Hearts
05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Man, i think this is a big mistake if he plays.Can anyone tell me the last FO winner that played all 3 and won the french open?

Morrissey
05-13-2007, 04:48 PM
Man, i think this is a big mistake if he plays.Can anyone tell me the last FO winner that played all 3 and won the french open?

Yeah I agree, he shouldn't play too much. But then again, can you name the last guy to win 77 matches in a row on any surface? If anyone can do it its Nadal. Imagine that, winning every clay court tournament during the spring. Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, Hamburg and the French Open? Man, that's uber colossal!

ACE of Hearts
05-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I agree, only he knows his body well.I am sure he wouldnt sacrifice the FO for Hamburg,

GOD_BLESS_RAFA
05-14-2007, 12:04 AM
yes Nadal knows well his body than us ... he felt dizzy when starting Roma no? I thought he would defend his title in Roma and then rested for FO yet now he is going to Hamburg too :confused:

VAMOS Rafa!! but just don't overplay hey!!!!!

prosealster
05-14-2007, 01:07 AM
Don;t know what you guys are worring about...Nadal is gonna smoke everyone at FO

Nadal_Freak
05-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Don;t know what you guys are worring about...Nadal is gonna smoke everyone at FO
Well Coria decided to play Hamburg before the French Open. Unfortunately Coria got fatigued at the wrong time. The French Open Final!!! He cramped up big time and eventually lost in 5 sets against Gaudio.

jamumafa
05-14-2007, 02:13 AM
^^

Yeah thats my worry too. Thing is A) Coria choked and B) Nadal is built better than Coria

I don't know If I'm happy about this.

I think half of it is the fact that he hasnt played a beasty 5 setter and now he has a extra few days rest and also the political pressure. 'cos h'e's been raving about the AMS' he feels he has to play.

laurie
05-14-2007, 03:57 AM
I'm disappointed he's playing.

Bassus
05-14-2007, 04:41 AM
Really, I thought FO was straight after Hamburg, must have changed the dates or something. I guess the clay is soft on the joints compared to the other surfaces, that's why Nadal is playing so much.

There has been a week between the end of Hamburg and the start of the French for at least several years.

illkhiboy
05-14-2007, 02:47 PM
I don't think Hamburg will hamper his chances at the French as much as his chances at Wimbledon, and perhaps beyond. Right after the French comes Queen's and it's the best preparation for Wimbledon (Halle is great too but it's the same week). Then a week's rest, then Wimbledon. That means from Monte Carlo through first week of Wimbledon, assuming he keeps reaching the latter stages of all the tournaments, Nadal will have had played 8/11 weeks of intense matches, with a week of Wimbledon to go! Then a couple weeks off, and the US summer hard court season. Doesn't sound too good. And don't forget, he's also played doubles in a lot of those tournaments.

Baghdatis72
05-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I don't remember anyone winning Monte Carlo, Rome, Hamburg and the Roland Garros in the same year so now is the chance for Nadal to achieve it after a short Rome final and with Federer a bit lost.

Fries-N-Gravy
05-14-2007, 07:47 PM
Much props to Nadal for being such a fighter and continuing his domination. He breezed through the final so he's probably not as tired as he would've been. He also seems to have every other player's number at the moment and has the confidence that he can easily defend clay.

I think maybe he knows that his best chances for wins and titles are on clay and if he totally crushes the rest of the season by winning the next two tournaments, he'll be in a very good place to contend for the no1 ranking. He's going to win Hamburg and then sleep for a week before RG.

fastdunn
05-14-2007, 11:02 PM
Nadal is playing because this year the Top-Seeds get Byes in Hamburg and because Rome Final was only best of 3.

I think that was the key.

But I don't think he would risk burn out or injury for anything.
I mean he wouldn't mind not winning Hamburg.

Nadal_Freak
05-14-2007, 11:08 PM
I think that was the key.

But I don't think he would risk burn out or injury for anything.
I mean he wouldn't mind not winning Hamburg.
Nadal doesn't know how fatigued he'll be in 3 weeks from now. Why risk it?

Halba
05-15-2007, 01:14 AM
he's the best athlete right now. just look at how fit he is..if he can't do it, no one can. out of the entire clay season he has only spent extended court time in his davydenko match. all other matches were straight sets.