PDA

View Full Version : Foot Fault Correction Ideas

topspiner
05-13-2007, 04:33 PM
Would anyone have a training idea on how I can ensure that I am not foot faulting? I realize that I could just move further behind the service line but since I am only 5'7" I hate to give up precious inches when serving?

Thanks,

Bodacious DVT
05-13-2007, 04:39 PM
take a small bucket/hopper, stick your lead foot in it, and serve. make sure the bucket wont slide/catch on your legs

(assuming you have a huge weight transfer)

you could also have someone watching you yell "STOP" everytime you footfault. maybe play out some points against someone else while you're being watched. if you footfault, you automatically lose the point. be creative

Tennismastery
05-13-2007, 05:41 PM
If you are foot faulting with the front foot, imagine digging your front foot toe under the line before you push off on this foot.

You can also practice serving only standing on your front foot. This teaches you to both keep the front foot from stepping as well as learning to not step over with the back foot. It also helps you learn to serve with better balance.

jasoncho92
05-13-2007, 07:49 PM
I really dont see how people foot fault unless they start with their front foot too close to the baseline and they do pin point stance. Just make sure to stand a bit back when you serve because 1 inch more back isnt going to kill your serve

Solat
05-13-2007, 08:45 PM
get a light item(plastic cone, hat etc) and place it on your front foot, serve without it moving

jasoncho92
05-13-2007, 08:58 PM
get a light item(plastic cone, hat etc) and place it on your front foot, serve without it moving
Bad idea if the person jumps forward

Solat
05-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Bad idea if the person jumps forward

not as a training mechanism to steady the front foot, once you can serve without moving it then you can add in the leg drive/full serve

rleidle
05-13-2007, 10:50 PM
Put a thin board on the baseline in front of your feet. Serve and make sure that your feet either stay behind the board or propel your body over the board. It is very unlikely that you are foot faulting if you land over the other side of the board if you have correct serve form.

Geezer Guy
05-14-2007, 07:39 AM
Get in the practice of NEVER moving your front foot. Put your front foot in the position you want it to be in at the moment of impact, and just START in that position.

I do the same with my back foot, but some people like to step in with their back foot. If you must move your back foot, just be sure it doesn't cross over your front foot before you hit the ball.