PDA

View Full Version : Leverage Band.!?

Jonnyf
05-14-2007, 06:06 AM
Has anyone bought/used heck even copied the leverage band, (apparently) found in Bolleterri's Killer Forehand and for sale at the the AP Belt website.

I read about this on Hi-techtennis where Jeff praises it,the band is supposed to assist with the "double bend" idea on the forehand etc. and I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this.?

Thanks

JF

tricky
05-17-2007, 01:30 AM
The Leverage Band is the device described below:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=16929&highlight=leverage+band

So, yes, it's basically a piece of black rubber tube with small and big loops held together by electrical tape, and it comes with a single sheet of instructions with no pictures. Even for $15 you're kinda thinking "hmm, rather pricy for what it is. I could have made this myself."

But, that said, it and the Wrist Assist are perhaps the single best teaching aid for the WW double-bend form. The first 20 minutes is very awkward, because it's giving you a lot of feedback on what you're doing wrong. As you try to make the swing more comfortable, you'll learning which muscles (primarily the kinetic chain used with "punching") are optimal for the WW. Also, it automatically makes you use the rest of your body to generate power. You not only stop snapping the wrist into the shot, but you also learn how to use your feet to push the ball into the racquet. The timing between shoulder and body is corrected, and finally you learn to rotate the racquet around the shoulder without wiping with the hand.

Initially, it's uncomfortable because the wrist really is laid back through the entire stroke, and you'll want the wrist to warm before practicing with this. Also, the large loop can be a little comfortable if you have even moderately sized forearms. Getting the wrist angle is easy; but you'll need to experiment with mantaining elbow angle so that the swing is comfortable.

These devices are designed to teach the WW with the racquet always on edge. Eventually you'll want to learn the WW form with a more relaxed wrist, but a racquet on edge is a good foundation because you want to make sure you drive into the ball with a laid-back wrist, and not snapping it forward to get around the ball.

It's really worth trying out when you're learning the double bend. Really with one session, you'll know what a WW should "feel" like, and also you can experiment with different finishes without bringing the hand into it.

JCo872
05-17-2007, 01:45 AM
The Leverage Band is the device described below:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=16929&highlight=leverage+band

So, yes, it's basically a piece of black rubber tube with small and big loops held together by electrical tape, and it comes with a single sheet of instructions with no pictures. Even for $15 you're kinda thinking "hmm, rather pricy for what it is. I could have made this myself."

But, that said, it and the Wrist Assist are perhaps the single best teaching aid for the WW double-bend form. The first 20 minutes is very awkward, because it's giving you a lot of feedback on what you're doing wrong. As you try to make the swing more comfortable, you'll learning which muscles (primarily the kinetic chain used with "punching") are optimal for the WW. Also, it automatically makes you use the rest of your body to generate power. You not only stop snapping the wrist into the shot, but you also learn how to use your feet to push the ball into the racquet. The timing between shoulder and body is corrected, and finally you learn to rotate the racquet around the shoulder without wiping with the hand.

Initially, it's uncomfortable because the wrist really is laid back through the entire stroke, and you'll want the wrist to warm before practicing with this. Also, the large loop can be a little comfortable if you have even moderately sized forearms. Getting the wrist angle is easy; but you'll need to experiment with mantaining elbow angle so that the swing is comfortable.

These devices are designed to teach the WW with the racquet always on edge. Eventually you'll want to learn the WW form with a more relaxed wrist, but a racquet on edge is a good foundation because you want to make sure you drive into the ball with a laid-back wrist, and not snapping it forward to get around the ball.

It's really worth trying out when you're learning the double bend. Really with one session, you'll know what a WW should "feel" like, and also you can experiment with different finishes without bringing the hand into it.

Great post Tricky! Good to hear your experience with this device.

Jonnyf
05-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Thanks alot guys I ordered mine a few days ago, I just need to wait for it to arrive.

Thanks tricky.!

athiker
09-16-2010, 05:23 PM
Bumping an old thread.

Any other opinions on this device? I've been noticing arm/wrist/racquet angles more on serve, forehand and backhand videos lately, they seem very important, and was thinking for $25 this might be useful for me. I'm mostly interested in improving the spin, pace and placement of my forehand.

athiker
09-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Wow...nobody, eh?

Last bump effort...

Here is a sales site with a video: http://www.apbelt.com/leverage_band.html

Bolletttieri also peddles it: http://www.nickbollettieri.com/merchandise/productDetail.cfm?merID=50

Frank Silbermann
09-20-2010, 08:15 PM
But the double-bend is old school. We need a device which puts the wrist in position for the straight-arm forehand.

7zero
08-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I looked at the AP belt videos and it seemed to me it was blocking some wrist wiper action - I got an idea that my wrist problems might be due bad technique - trying to generate spin with wrist. What do you think about this aid? Worth a try or it is different thing?

Tight Lines
08-13-2014, 03:05 PM
I looked at the AP belt videos and it seemed to me it was blocking some wrist wiper action - I got an idea that my wrist problems might be due bad technique - trying to generate spin with wrist. What do you think about this aid? Worth a try or it is different thing?

Wow, a 2007 thread. Anyway, IMO, these wrist layback devices definitely work. When I suffered tennis elbow a year ago, my son and I together figured out the source of my problem. Not so great stroke technique. I was muscling the ball too much. When I started to recover, I wanted to play, but was worried about the injury coming back. We looked at all the commercial devices on the market and decided to make one ourselves. If you are interested, you will need to click on my user name and go to my home page. I have links to some really compelling youtube videos that you might be interested in seeing.

The three that I know are: leverage band, WristAssist, RacketBracket. They all work. There are others like angle doctor and volley doctor, but they are mostly for volleys.

The leverage band is definitely worth a try IMO.

Harry

7zero
08-13-2014, 03:12 PM
Wow, a 2007 thread.

yeah, why not. I think it is better to resuscitate some old zombie thread than start 3258. thread like "what rounded poly for gut hybrid?" or "goat"..

thanks for tips I will have a look at your videos

GuyClinch
08-13-2014, 10:07 PM
Couldn't you just buy some surgical tubing and tie some knots?

Tight Lines
08-14-2014, 07:24 AM
Couldn't you just buy some surgical tubing and tie some knots?

Yes you can. I use a bungee cord which works well.

The only problem I see is it will slide down the arm. Since you need to practice with it for at least an hour to get the feel of the correct stroke, I would think it may be a little inconvenient.

Harry

Bendex
08-14-2014, 09:02 AM
I have one. If a kid is using too much wrist, I threaten to put it on them, which takes care of the problem. They really hate actually having it on. :)