PDA

View Full Version : Beam thickness

kevhen
09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
Does beam thickness of a racquet affect a tennis shot at all? I noticed the old prostaff's are around 17mm and the new SurgeX prostaff I have is 26mm. I liked the SurgeX for flat serve but then my groundstrokes suffered maybe due to the lighter head, but also maybe since I am a bit of a spin doctor and maybe sometimes the ball was catching the thicker than normal frame on these spin shots. Why has beam thickness increased? Does it make vollies more or less solid? Does it increase overal stiffness of the frame? Just curious as to why manufacturers have gone from 17mm to 26mm, although most frames are still in the 20-23mm range. I plan to go back to frames with smaller beams so I don't catch the frame so much on my spin shots. But will I really notice any difference or is it just in my head?

Tennis Guy
09-21-2004, 02:35 PM
This should be in the racquets forum. Usually a thinner racquet is just more flexible.

JohnThomas1
09-21-2004, 11:23 PM
Usually the thicker the beam the stiffer the stick which = more power Kev.

kevhen
09-22-2004, 06:41 AM
Well I added more tape to that thick beamed Prostaff SurgeX so it came in at 11.5 ounces but still maybe 2 more points headlight than my Volkl of the same weight and it was lacking in power and control still compared to the Volkl Tour 8. I don't recall hitting any off the frame during warmups but I was hitting mostly all topspin groundstrokes and very little slice. I will add more tape to it so it's up to 12 ounces or more and test again.

perfmode
09-22-2004, 05:58 PM
Does beam thickness of a racquet affect a tennis shot at all? I noticed the old prostaff's are around 17mm and the new SurgeX prostaff I have is 26mm. I liked the SurgeX for flat serve but then my groundstrokes suffered maybe due to the lighter head, but also maybe since I am a bit of a spin doctor and maybe sometimes the ball was catching the thicker than normal frame on these spin shots. Why has beam thickness increased? Does it make vollies more or less solid? Does it increase overal stiffness of the frame? Just curious as to why manufacturers have gone from 17mm to 26mm, although most frames are still in the 20-23mm range. I plan to go back to frames with smaller beams so I don't catch the frame so much on my spin shots. But will I really notice any difference or is it just in my head?

Catching the frame has nothing to do with beam width. It's all about timing.

Exxion
09-22-2004, 09:23 PM
fatter beam width=more power, "old man's racket"

thinner beam width=more of a players racket, also looks cooler than a fat beam =)

head heavy/lightness will affect power too