PDA

View Full Version : Navratilova way better then todays girls.

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 10:08 AM
None of todays women have the incredible talent of Navratilova, the incredible determination of Navratilova, or the incredible work ethic of Navratilova. The Williams sisters are not fit to worship the ground she walks on. Nuff said.

max
05-14-2007, 10:10 AM
I'm very sympathetic to what you say; unparalleled athleticism, etc. Strangely goofy personal life which sadly affected career. But one of the all time greats. One strong consideration is that outside of Evert, the Mighty Navratilova competed in an era which was a bit less deep in talent than today's sport.

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 10:13 AM
I agree there was more depth then today, but I wish there was a girl that looked more like the next Navratilova out of todays girl. One with that rare combination of extreme athleticsm, power, determination, extreme commitment, dedication. The Williams have the former ones, and fade away on the later ones on that list. Henin has them all in a way, but her size is a hinderance and leads to her breaking down physicaly in long events, plus getting mysterious ailments and nicks of injuries, making it hard for her to dominate. The rest of the girls dont have even one of those to the extent of Navratilova. Maybe the answer is in juniors. Or maybe Vaidisova can be the answer once she dumps her father and gets a real coach.

CyBorg
05-14-2007, 10:15 AM
Oh, for sure. Sharapova is a terrible tennis player. She is like a big tree trunk with lumbering movements and no first step. She plays like she has a grand piano on her back. Yet she has two majors.

The Williams sisters would be very good in Navratilova's era. But they're men. I don't care what's in their pants. They're men.

max
05-14-2007, 10:17 AM
You know one thing I always give the Mighty Navratilova credit for is simply improving the caliber of the women's game. She raised the playing field, raised the equation, whatever you want to call it. She goes into tennis history simply for this.

Boy, writing this makes me remember all that great "chip and charge" stuff!

simi
05-14-2007, 10:18 AM
I've enjoyed Martina's game also, and was sad when she retired last year. The text of your message is fine, however, I cannot agree with your title. Martina did compete with today's girls, and had a poor record. That is in singles. She more than held her own in doubles, but couldn't get past a round or two in singles. This would suggest that even though she is an incredible doubles talent, she couldn't successfully compete in singles. Too much power in today's game and not enough finesse.

Let's hope she and JMac team up for one last grand slam run. They'll teach these youngsters a thing or two about how to play doubles and S&V. (Hey, we can dream, can't we?)

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 10:23 AM
You know one thing I always give the Mighty Navratilova credit for is simply improving the caliber of the women's game. She raised the playing field, raised the equation, whatever you want to call it. She goes into tennis history simply for this.

Boy, writing this makes me remember all that great "chip and charge" stuff!

I agree that Navratilova raised and changed the face of womens game. That rubbed off for awhile with more premium on fitness, power training, nutrition, the whole works. I am just dissapointed to see that fade away as we enter the new millenium.

navratilovafan
05-14-2007, 10:26 AM
I've enjoyed Martina's game also, and was sad when she retired last year. The text of your message is fine, however, I cannot agree with your title. Martina did compete with today's girls, and had a poor record. That is in singles. She more than held her own in doubles, but couldn't get past a round or two in singles. This would suggest that even though she is an incredible doubles talent, she couldn't successfully compete in singles. Too much power in today's game and not enough finesse.

Let's hope she and JMac team up for one last grand slam run. They'll teach these youngsters a thing or two about how to play doubles and S&V. (Hey, we can dream, can't we?)

Navratilova was in her late 40s and beat top 30 player Tatiana Panova, before losing to top 10 player Daniela Hantuchova in 3 sets in Eastbourne a few years back. Her match with Hantuchova imparticular should embarass the entire womens tour, a 45 year old women taking down a then highly regarded up and comer, who that same year beat Dokic(then top 10 herself)on her way to the Wimbledon quarters, Henin on her way to the U.S Open quarters, and took down Martina Hingis in straight sets to win tier 1 event the Pacific Life Open.

CEvertFan
05-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Martina Navratilova is the GOAT. Of course she is way better than the women playing today. IMO the one who comes closest to Martina is Evert.

Rabbit
05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I agree. It's unfair to base Navratilova's ability on a match she played when she was 48 against a current top tenner. Navratilova in her prime had a ripped stomach. I can still remember reading an article in Tennis magazine about her. One of the pictures showed her playing basketball, taking a jump shot. She had a cut off T-shirt on and her stomach was exposed. She had a six-pack, it was really awesome. At one point, Navratilova had like 4% body fat which is basically unheard of in women in their 20s.

simi
05-14-2007, 11:01 AM
Sorry, I misinterpreted the thread subject text. Perhaps it should have read, "Navratilova in her prime was way better than today's girls." No argument about that!

Bjorn99
05-14-2007, 12:09 PM
R U KIDDING ME? ANYONE here is supposed to be impressed that a 45 year old lesbian with no family ties, no pregnancies and no full time work committments, WHO is also the ex number one player in the world beat that stick HACK NO KOVA?

Honestly what is so impressive about that? Jimmy Connors at 45 could probably beat anyone outside of the top fifteen? And he had a nagging wife and kids like anyone else.

edmondsm
05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Henin would make Navratilova her biotch. Same with Serena. You think that chip n' charge crap would work on Serena or Justine? Please, it would be two bagels in under half an hour.

LarougeNY
05-14-2007, 12:16 PM
Honestly what is so impressive about that? Jimmy Connors at 45 could probably beat anyone outside of the top fifteen? And he had a nagging wife and kids like anyone else.

really have to doubt that. But I would agree that the 45 year old hip surgery patient can beat you even with his nagging wife and kids.

diadorakuerten
05-14-2007, 02:23 PM
I think Mauresmo is kinda like Navratilova. Determined, strong physically and serious about her commitment to the game. Obviously she didnt have the career that Martina had but still there is a resemblance there.

Bjorn99
05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Of course the GOAT would beat me. Jimmy Connors was the greatest thing that ever happened to tennis. WHY he doesn't grace the TV a la Crackenroe is beyond me. Maybe he enjoys his freedom and family too much. Or he is henpecked. Who knows. This guy would destroy me and I would destroy 99.9% of the guys on this board.

To be as feisty and entertaining as he was and is, AND still be a champion. Well, that is the GOAT for me.

WestNott
05-14-2007, 11:53 PM
Navratilova is amazing for her age. My college tennis roommate Roger Anderson was her hitting partner for the last year she played on tour til last years US Open. I got to mingle with them in Montreal last year and it blew me away how well she volleyed. Hands down the best volleys on the WTA and crisper than a lot of men who are pure baseliners. If you watch her in slow motion, you'll notice she takes a bigger swing than what tennis coaches typically say- take a shorter swing. She really knifes through her volleys, but the key is she always manages to get her feet positioned correctly with the weight transfer while catching the contact point well in front. Just beautiful. I didn't truly respect her until I saw her play live. Fun to watch, we need to bring back Rafter.

tintin
05-15-2007, 05:24 AM
I think Mauresmo is kinda like Navratilova. Determined, strong physically and serious about her commitment to the game. Obviously she didnt have the career that Martina had but still there is a resemblance there.

I'm sorry but Serena Williams is like Goliath compared to Mauresmo so if you want to compare people to Navratilova;compare Williams to Navratilova.
The only thing Mauresmo and Navratilova have in common is that they are gay;other than that careers have been different and Mauresmo is not a flag waiver for everything gay.

tennissavy
05-15-2007, 02:18 PM
None of todays women have the incredible talent of Navratilova, the incredible determination of Navratilova, or the incredible work ethic of Navratilova. The Williams sisters are not fit to worship the ground she walks on. Nuff said.

Martina accomplished so much but these days she isn't able to compete- like losing twice to Dulko, even on grass.

roysid
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
The sad thing is that almost all of current players are nothing but baseline humpers. Makes so boring to watch.

Earlier days, you had Martina, Graf, Sabatini, Novotna etc. each of whom had their own style.