PDA

View Full Version : Henman , Hamburg and the meaning of life

finky
05-14-2007, 10:00 AM
So despite constantly saying he is serious about playing on , TH has skipped Hamburg to practice at home . For a guy lacking matches that is a bizarre decision, no matter how 'heavy' conditions are in Hamburg .

To me this signals the beginning of the end . If he is missing a major event because his back might not stand up to the strain it is time to acknowledge that he is not fit enough to play full time and quit.

I am very sad to be saying this because I am a huge fan of his , but the truth hurts.

Tim, the time has come . Just do it . You will be remembered as a good player full of grace .

simi
05-14-2007, 10:09 AM
How many are left now? Serve and Volley players, that is. Even though he says not, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this is his last year on the circuit. We'll miss you, Tim.

Two from this year's Pacific Life Open

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3549/imgp2946aon4.jpg

http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/9899/imgp2943ale2.jpg

finky
05-14-2007, 10:11 AM
It will symbolise the passing of a great player and a wonderful era. RIP.

slice bh compliment
05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah. But if recent champions like Henman, Corretja, Guga and Rafter wanted to play a day of singles and dubs....I'd buy a box. Maybe they invite Pete, Korda, Stich, Mac, Boris, Flipper, Bruguera, Rios and Edberg and make a weekend of it.

hoosierbr
05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Henman isn't playing in Hamburg because he didn't make it into the main draw by a few places. He said it's not so bad because the conditions are heavy and not so good for his back. He wasn't interested in trying to qualify, rather practice and rest.

Had he directly qualified for the main draw he'd have played. He only got into Rome when a few guys withdrew.

noeledmonds
05-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I see little value in Henman competing in the rest of the clay season at all to be honest. The best he can realistically hope for at the FO is around the 4th round, and thats with a good draw and improved performances. Why not concentrate on the grass, where his S&V along with a home crowd could boost him to a few final memorable performances. Few know how to play a decent S&V player on grass any more so Henman would have a chance of making quarter or semi-finals at Wimbledon if he worked hard, but I think this requires skipping the rest of the clay season.

finky
05-15-2007, 01:13 AM
Hoosierbr,

I apologise, was under the impression he had given up a main draw place. Having said that , he is still woefully short on matches and qualies would at least have shaken some rust off.

After all, to be a serious competitor you have to be sure your body can stand up to the rigours of qualifying, if neccessary. If his ranking continues to slip there are more qualies ahead.

austro
05-15-2007, 01:31 AM
I won't miss him! Notorious underachiever...