PDA

View Full Version : Tighting grip on impact for groundstrokes

VTL
09-21-2004, 02:07 PM
I know a lot of people follow the "bird in the hand" analogy when it comes to how tightly should you hold your racket. But for a while I've been hitting it this way: My grip is pretty loose throughout my forehand and backhand UNTIL the moment of contact. The tightening is only for a split second and it's not too intense (although it probably would hurt a bird). My timing of this is excellent, so I do tighting too early or late, lots of that having to do w/ saying "bounce hit bounce" in my head. I've found much success with this, as I'm able to hit the ball very cleanly and my wrists are always firm on contact. I'm wondering, does anyone here use the same technique?

BTW, on m 2-h backhand, i don't tighten both hands, just the left grip.

tt2003
09-25-2004, 10:29 PM
I notice the habit you describes is Federer habit too , he will keep his grip really loose until at the moment his racket contacts the ball. Between stokes, no matter forehand or backhand, he rotates his racket to keep his grip loose. Actually, his whole body is so loose between stokes. Tight muscle will hamper the reaction time. This technique is used by Sampras too. Power stems from muscle contraction (from loose to tight). NO POWER if your muscle is tight due to no muscle contraction (tight to tight). thanks!

Tim Tennis
09-26-2004, 04:29 AM
I think that everyone tightens their grip to some extent at the point of contact with the ball. It is the last link in the chain and it will define and influence the flight of and the action on the ball.

Roger amazes me in how he will change his grip while he is moving to the ball by just releasing his hand and moving to the grip he wants. His racquet will just kind of float in the air for a split second.

When I really want to power the ball or put tremendous action on it, in the forward motion the racquet handle will actually move away from the palm of my hand. In sync with the wrist snap it is like squeezing a hand grip, on contact the handle is pushed firmly into the palm of my hand. This will not only add to the racquet head speed to some extent through the contact zone but it also ensures that all the energy generated by the entire stroke makes it to the ball.

Bungalo Bill will eat me alive on this one.

You got to love the game.

tt2003
09-27-2004, 08:49 AM
I use this technique on my serve too, I cannot toss my ball to the right point or height and keep my racket head speed high while my muscle is tight. Of course, sometime, my muscle is involuntarily tight due to emotion or tiredness. By the way, i think heavy control racket will help if you are using this technique. Right now, i am using Wilson lead taped pro staff 85 which gives me tremendous feel while touching the tennis ball. Good luck

Bungalo Bill
09-27-2004, 09:18 AM
I tend to tighten the grip as the racquet begins to come forward. I dont try to time the "grip squeeze". To many variables to time that one. But again, I would think that falls under the preference category.

I like to lock down my wrist and at the same time keep a relaxed upper arm. I am a lot more consistent this way.