PDA

View Full Version : Nadal's serve

chris1992
05-14-2007, 12:14 PM
I know its not the best serve, but we are both left handers and my serve is my weakest shot, so i was wondering if someone could help me and tell me the details of his technique. Does he use a different grip? How do you get such an affect serve outwide on the AD court?

bumfluff
05-14-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEL4PBsY_Y8

That is a slow mo of his serve, not very much more than his arm I am afraid. But its a start.

chris1992
05-14-2007, 12:41 PM
thanks, his arms are huge! i also found this which may help you if you want to see how the pros hit, worth checking out.

http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/pdmediabooks/players.asp?section=players&page=2

sapient007
05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
I know its not the best serve, but we are both left handers and my serve is my weakest shot, so i was wondering if someone could help me and tell me the details of his technique. Does he use a different grip? How do you get such an affect serve outwide on the AD court?

get a mirror, place it in front of the monitor and watch sampras serve in the mirror. problem solved.

i'll send you the bills in the morning.

Ross K
05-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I did a similar post before arguing that Rafa's serve was really a little under-rated. (I don't recall too much support.) Basically, I'm a fan of abbreviated or semi-abbreviated serve motions, and along with an ever-growing group of players (Roddick, Monfils, Henin, Gasquet - to name but five), he's another who's serve is more in the mould of the 'straight-to-shoulder' racquet takeback. As to precisely what he does in terms of the 'mechanics', I'm afraid I'm not the man to ask (and FWIW regarding his grip, I thought nearly all pro's used a cont grip for serving?) What I will say is I think his early movements with his feet and the way his racquet moves up to his shoulder is, if not odd-looking, then certainly 'different'.) He also manages to get a reasonable hip lean in, I seem to remember. I'm sure you know his serve resembles Roddick's a lot (although I'd be interested to know who, out this recent bunch and not the Rosco Tanner era, was the first to do the abb serve motion.) It lacks the explosiveness of A-Rods (but then again, whose serve doesn't when compared to Roddick?) Plus Rafa's serve is known to have always been very spinny, although I think he 's changed it a bit in recent times... Sorry. That's about it. (You should def study the ex Rafa link above ^)

bluestreak711
05-14-2007, 10:34 PM

i don't know much but here's a start on all his serves he uses th eastern grip i watch him alot and i havent seen him use any other grip for a serve

but the eastern isnt the best chioce and he uses spin to put it out wide

your best bet is to use the continental and start out hitting flat
you can try to copy Nadal's serve just use the continental grip and hit it flat

most of the time it doesnt work to copy someone elses serve you need to find one and make it unique

i am also left handed and having problems with my serve
what i do is watch the pros and find a serve i like and copy it and make my personal changes

i have found a new serve for myself but i havent got a chance to try it yet i have watched two different serves and put them together

before i describe it i had the problem when i try the normal loop on the serve in killed all my racquet speed

ok i watched some women play and they just sorta take their racquet black and i remember the way roddick serves

the women doesnt loop a back swing but i tried that but that back swing was too slow for me but my swing was faster though but my problem wasnt solved still

then i tired roddicks it was good but a bit awkward
so i come to one in between

i use the same rapid take back like roddick but my racquet frame is vertical to the ground

the way roddick does it......when you swing it takes more muscle and awkward on the swing

but if you turn your frame vertical it makes it feel more natural and you dont have the loop to kill your racquet speed

i have practiced this at my house against some small boards set up and it seems to be working well

maybe you are having trouble with your loop take back like i was that kills your racquet speed

like i said maybe try to not use a loop back swing

and everybody else why is my loop killing my racquet speed what i am oing is working pretty good now but i do want to know about that loop that i cant do without it hurting my speed so bad?

Ripper
05-16-2007, 07:42 PM
i don't know much but here's a start on all his serves he uses th eastern grip i watch him alot and i havent seen him use any other grip for a serve

Eastern? That can't be right.

bluestreak711
05-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Eastern? That can't be right.

Eastern grip is the only grip I have seen Rafeal Nadal use on his serve.I watch him everytime he plays on espn or local channels.

Ross K
05-16-2007, 11:00 PM
1. WHICH Eastern grip?... Eastern bh or fh?

2. As I said earlier, I imagined Continental was the popular pro serve grip... so who else uses an Eastern or - indeed - something else?

bluestreak711
05-16-2007, 11:09 PM
1. WHICH Eastern grip?... Eastern bh or fh?

2. As I said earlier, I imagined Continental was the popular pro serve grip... so who else uses an Eastern or - indeed - something else?

idk exactly what is the difference between forehand eastern and bh eatsern i know of only two this way either eatsern or extreme eastern

the normal eastern grip can be used on the FH and BH

the extreme eastern can only be used on the BH but is the same as the extreme western on the forehand

i know syaing FH eastern and BH eastern is just a different
way to say how you grip the racquet but that is the way i know

Nadal uses the eastern grip on the serve

if you grip the racquet with the correct eastern you can use it on both the FH and BH side

Dangus
05-17-2007, 12:01 AM
I thought Nadal used a continental grip for serves...

http://www.tennis.com/yourgame/gear/general/general.aspx?id=649

jamauss
05-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Just wanted to pop in with a comment...

Keep in mind that the reason Nadal gets away with his less than "huge" serve is because:

1. He usually places it pretty well (into the body, wide (when serving from the ad-court) or down the T)

2. He puts a ton of kick on it so players have no choice really but to take it early on the rise and hit a somewhat "safe" return on the 1st serve.

If you notice though, the better players can really tee-off on his 2nd serve if his 1st serve percentage isn't very high. They're able to get a pretty good look at it.