PDA

View Full Version : ***Any Advice?***

Marc C.
03-14-2004, 04:38 AM
A few years ago, I purchased a stringing machine to offset the cost of breaking strings every 2-3 sets. In my area the cost for stringing ranges from $30(gamma syn gut 16) to $40(TNT or NXT), which I believe is totally obsurd. Recently I have been stringing for some friends and have made quite a bit of money considering I only charge about $10-$20. I would like to make some more money this summer by starting my own stringing business from my home. I am sure there will be customers considering the prices of stringing at the local clubs and pro shops. Any advice on how to go about doing this? I would gladly pick up and drop off rackets for a charge. How would I get customers? What prices would be cheap enough to get people away from the pro shops, but more expensive than 10 bux. Thanks!

Gaines Hillix
03-14-2004, 06:06 AM
Marc, the key is to get the word out. Grass-roots marketing so to speak. One good way to do it would be to get some 1 page flyers made up and some cheap business cards. Leave these at any public courts in your area. Give them to your friends and league team members. Put them on your church's bulletin board or any other place in your area that has a public bulletin board. Try to work a deal with any club that doesn't have onsite stringing. Health clubs are good prospects. I would try to set my prices so I made about $12 on each job. Considering the cost of string and shipping, that would put syn gut at around $17 and the medium priced multis at around $25 and the premium priced strings at around $28-32. Natural gut is a different story. You'd need to charge around $40-50 for it considering the extra care you need to use stringing it and the $25-35 cost of the string.

polakosaur
03-14-2004, 03:06 PM
i was thinking about doing the same, how do you handle an increase in the number of racquets needed to be strung one week and a substantially lower amount the next week

David Pavlich
03-14-2004, 06:15 PM
If you want to gain a customer base, guarantee racquets will be done in a certain period of time. My shop guarantees 24 hour turnaround. Because I have the guarantee, I take a lot of business from the club shops and home stringers because they can't guarantee the quick turnaround. I continue to increase my stringing customer base because the stringer that the person was using before couldn't deliver on a promised completion.

Some days I'll do 10-15 racquets. BUT, I have my backup at home so I don't have to spend a lot of time at the shop if the demand gets high.

You have to keep that in mind. How much volume can you handle? I do it for a living as part of my shop. How much time do you have to dedicate to stringing?

AND, the most important part of the equation (please don't take this the wrong way) are you a good stringer? I see a lot of racquets come across my counter that are pathetic...and some of these come from the club pro shops. I can't tell you how many fresh string jobs I've cut out because of various problems.

Good Luck! David

edge
03-14-2004, 08:35 PM
My son charges $20 for syn gut, $30 for NXT, $35 for NXT Tour and Luxilon BB ALU. The pro shops around here charge $30 for syn gut, $35 for NXT and $45 for NXT Tour. They don't even string Luxilon. He strings for his tennis team. If he's too busy, I don't mind chipping in to help out. He also adds stenciling and head tape for free. He provides high quality work and has a growing referral customer base.

Steve Huff
03-14-2004, 09:41 PM
I know you don't want to get into a price war, but sometimes it's necessary, just to get people to try you. Customer service, consistency and a good price are imperative. Something I do is I charge kids (HS and below) $8 to string their rackets. That includes the string and everything. I use Gosen OG Micro, Kirshbaum SuperSmash, TF EMatrix, Gosen Polylon etc for most of the kids. Basically, I give away about a half hour to get my name out. And, the way I look at it is I've just purchased a whole lot of good, word-of-mouth advertising for zero money and 1/2 hr of time (probably what it would take to get out and advertise anyway). If I string a kid's racket, I am almost always assured of stringing their parents' rackets. Plus, if a kid breaks a string in practice, and has a match the next day, I get it done and get the racket to him. You can't believe how appreciative the parents are. Word spreads fast.

30 - 15 is my ad
03-15-2004, 09:13 PM
I charge $14 plus the cost of the string, I offer next day turnaround, and my satisfaction guarantee. The only dissatisfied customers seem to be 3.0 or lower, for some reason...

Marc C.
03-16-2004, 02:22 AM
For all of you who string, do you string for shops or at home? How many customers do you have or average.

polakosaur
03-16-2004, 10:30 AM
that 24 hour turnaround time is the key to success i've looked many times for my own racquets for a 24 hour shop, if i can't i use my neighbors machine or pay him to do it. How long does it take you for 10-15 racquets

David Pavlich
03-16-2004, 05:45 PM
The amount of racquets I can do in a day depends on how busy the store is. My shop is relatively new (1 year and 7 months) so I'm still a one-man-gang. I was there until 9 pm last night stringing and went in at 8 am to do the last 2 from yesterday (the life of a small business owner).

So between talking about demos, getting shoes from the store room, answering the phone, taking 15 minutes to gulp down a sangwidge and a couple of plums, I did 11 frames. Today was "slow" with only 7 frames.

Last year before the State tournament, I did 15 on a Thursday and 11 the next day. However, on Thursday, my wife was able to spend several hours manning the store so I could concentrate on stringing. I truly enjoy stringing, so it's been great fun having the shop.

David

Marc C.
03-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Thank you guys for all of your help. You have been most helpful!