PDA

View Full Version : how can I increase my swing speed to add power to my shot???

Euphoria.Soul
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
I understand the power of your shot will mostly be generated from the length of your swing and the speed of it.

My swings have good length to them. However, I find the speed is not quite there yet. Probably because I still take sometime to get used to the timing of the ball.

How can I increase the speed??? thanks!!!!

Teh_pwnerer
05-14-2007, 02:16 PM
same here help us lol

Brian_C
05-14-2007, 02:24 PM
well i was prosing through a tennis shop one day and i saw a dampener that makes a whistling sound when it would go at a certain speed. Now i ready the back and it said the faster you swing the racket the more of a whistle sound it would make, i guess you could use it to help creating a faster swing. >.>

LarougeNY
05-14-2007, 03:15 PM
Do you loop your forehands over your head, and rotate shoulder to shoulder on each swing. That can help, so can working out, running, and playing with people that are much better than you are.
Last resort= string your rackets very low. lol

junbumkim
05-14-2007, 04:37 PM
no real magic about that
Weight lifting, mimicing your stroke with very light weight maybe 2 lb.

On lessons, you should concentrate on increasing your swing speeds etc.

To certain extent, you are born with the hand speed. But you can certainyl work on that.

AAAA
05-14-2007, 05:09 PM
You need torso rotation.

fuzz nation
05-14-2007, 06:21 PM
One difference between the pros and mere mortals like us is that they repeatedly get to the hitting zone and prepared to hit the ball before it arrives while we typically just get there in time to hit. Improve your movement and preparation so that you can consistently take your smooth, powerful stroke with good timing. Whenever you can create that split-second pause before you hit the ball, your ability to put a better hit on it will go way up because you have the time to use your complete motion.

LarougeNY
05-14-2007, 07:21 PM
no real magic about that
Weight lifting, mimicing your stroke with very light weight maybe 2 lb.

On lessons, you should concentrate on increasing your swing speeds etc.

To certain extent, you are born with the hand speed. But you can certainyl work on that.

I do it with 5lbs.
Besides its not all about power, you shouldn't be hitting 100% in rallies, keep it at like 70-75% then go at 90-95% for a winner.

mucat
05-14-2007, 09:45 PM
Most power and swing speed comes from good torso rotation and hit more in front.

But assume you've already done those, a lighter racket and/or lower tension and/or more powerful string will help.

Teh_pwnerer
05-14-2007, 09:48 PM
im always hitting th eball late, for some reason i cant hit it infront of me, where i think i should be hitting it, what can i do?

shindemac
05-14-2007, 10:06 PM
Extend thru the contact zone. Ensures you have a solid hit.

Teh_pwnerer
05-14-2007, 10:10 PM
i realized is how i stand, open stance, but left leg behind right and my weight is on my right leg, i guess my left leg should be infront and all my weight on it?

shindemac
05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
im always hitting th eball late, for some reason i cant hit it infront of me, where i think i should be hitting it, what can i do?

You need to swing earlier. You're prob used to the timing so it's easy to fall back on bad habits. That's why u should get a coach to stop getting bad habits that will take twice as long to change and correct.

Teh_pwnerer
05-14-2007, 10:41 PM
i have a coach and he tells me this everyday, its just htat im too used to it =S

zapvor
05-14-2007, 10:45 PM
at the pro level, its all about timing. but for the rest of us, i think its mechanics. and that takes practice. so go practice.

Teh_pwnerer
05-14-2007, 10:47 PM
i will, thank you ;)

so it doesnt matter if i hit with an open stance as long as the weight of my body is on my left leg and i hit infront?

zapvor
05-14-2007, 10:50 PM
oh my reply was for the OP.

but yea your stance is fine as long as thats what works for you. you definitely should be hitting out in front of you.

junbumkim
05-15-2007, 03:02 AM
Like someone suggested above, use more torso. It means more coiling in the hip area and exploding into the ball. This will add good amount to your swing speed.

In order to do this, you have move your feet very well because not every ball is going to land in the middle of the court for you.

1. Good Eye : Watch the ball coming off your opponent's racket carefully.
2. Split Step : For me, I do it when the opponent begins the foreward swing.
3. Explosive First step and adjustment step.

These are some elements to "good movement"

For sheer swing speed / hand speed, you have to make sure your arms are loose. And concentrate on increasing the swing speed in practice. The idea is to become more comfortable hitting with greater swing speed during practice, so that you can increase your average swing speed during the match.

Consistency / Control comes before everything, but at some point, you have to also work on hitting harder and swinging faster.

AAAA
05-15-2007, 03:40 AM
Euphoria.Soul, Without torso rotation you are in danger of trying to make the arm do too much, overloading/stressing it and then injury/sore arm.

With torso rotation timed correctly with the arm swing the racquet head speed will be the arm speed plus some percentage of the torso rotation speed. Head speed is what you are after.

JCo872
05-15-2007, 03:55 AM
I understand the power of your shot will mostly be generated from the length of your swing and the speed of it.

My swings have good length to them. However, I find the speed is not quite there yet. Probably because I still take sometime to get used to the timing of the ball.

How can I increase the speed??? thanks!!!!

Here is my take on this. Power is built into the racket. It's more important to have your hand and shoulder behind the ball on contact and push through and lift up for a few inches. This gets the ball to jump off your strings. Throw in torso rotation and a wiper finish and you'll be hitting big.

Watch all of these clips and watch how the hand and shoulder push through the ball and lift up for a few inches. Most people swing across the ball rather through through and up, with their body weight behind the ball:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/forehand/topspin.php

shindemac
05-15-2007, 08:26 AM
i will, thank you ;)

so it doesnt matter if i hit with an open stance as long as the weight of my body is on my left leg and i hit infront?

Open stance is fine, but u can't be lazy about the torso rotation. Just keep practicing, and you'll improve your timing. Try to always use the best form as possible.

oldhacker
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
Personally (speaking as someone who used to hit with a very open stance) I do not think it is ideal because with your feet in a line parallel to the baseline it does not give you a very solid foundation from which to hit balanced and to transfer your weight through the shot. I have worked hard on early preparation with a full unit turn and a semi-open stance and I find I am hitting a lot more balanced and striking the ball much cleaner than before. I amk now working on getting better weight transfer (front foot to back foot) through my shot, especially when I have a ball I can attack, in order to add more power.

AAAA
05-15-2007, 08:55 AM
Watch all of these clips and watch how the hand and shoulder push through the ball and lift up for a few inches. Most people swing across the ball rather through through and up, with their body weight behind the ball:

http://www.hi-techtennis.com/forehand/topspin.php

Thanks for that. Now that I know what I should be doing I may, finally(?), be able to generate power on my forehand consistently at will.

spadesss
05-15-2007, 11:35 AM
You need torso rotation.

Agreed.
power is transfer from leg up.
that is why is not a good idea to hit the ball in mid air, you lose the transfer of power.

having proper setup and follow thorugh is important as well.
pros do the "little" things are perfectly that we tend to over look it.

Teh_pwnerer
05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
ok ill try to hit with a semi open stance and i will practice the torso rotation too, i used to hit monster forehands and backhands, and i think that with these tips ill be able to do them again

AAAA
05-15-2007, 01:53 PM
Agreed.
power is transfer from leg up.
that is why is not a good idea to hit the ball in mid air, you lose the transfer of power.

having proper setup and follow thorugh is important as well.
pros do the "little" things are perfectly that we tend to over look it.

Thinking about it torso rotation may be a bigger component of the (advanced?) western forehand, not that it isn't needed for a more classical forehand. Just remembered forward weight transfer is a benfit too. A lot of power can be lost when hitting off the back foot. OP, try to move forward into the shot.

tennismanster
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Check out www.tennnisspeed.com. They have a product that can increase your racquet speed for serves or groundstrokes.

Vision84
05-16-2007, 04:32 PM
I just watched the video of that and laughed out loud. I am not spending over $100 on a chain I can buy in any local hardware store.

skiracer55
05-17-2007, 09:16 AM
You need torso rotation.

...fourth post this morning, same subject, all together now: "Tennis is not an arm sport, it's a leg/torso sport." A forehand is like throwing a discus, a backhand is like throwing a Frisbee. How far can you throw either without getting your legs and torso involved? Got it?

speedmaster
05-21-2007, 11:06 PM
I noticed that one of the posts on this thread mentioned the website called tennisspeed.com.

If anyone cares to know and also to be upfront about it, I own that company and the reason why I even started the company is because of my own experience using the “Speedchain”.

I’ve been using the Speedchain myself for over a year now, and it definitely works as promised. I bought the Speedchain and within about a month and a half after beginning to train with it, I increased my serve speed from the mid-90s to the mid-110s.

Because it worked so well for me, I had two junior players I was coaching train with it and they both improved their serve and forehand speeds over 25 MPH in about 6 weeks. As the manufacturer was looking for people to distribute the product, I took that opportunity. It’s rare to have find a sports training aid that actually works, much less works that well.

I suppose that as with anything, you could try to recreate the product yourself… But you also gotta weigh the money, time, and effort it’ll take to do so vs. being able to buy the finished product right now.

As far as I’m concerned, the Speedchain is a really good deal especially when I think about all the years I’ve gone to the gym and all the thousands of $$$ that I've spent on gym memberships, personal training and other "training equipment" that did not increase my racket speed, or that of my students, one bit.

rorschack
05-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Here's something I found to be helpful. Put your free hand out in front of you to measure the ball as it's coming toward you, then initiate your forward swing. This forces both of your shoulders to rotate in order to hit the ball and thus you get shoulder to shoulder rotation because your free arm has to get out of the way. I found that I am getting much more consistent power and better timing when I concentrate on this technique. AND the big plus is I feel a lot more balanced when I strike the ball. In contrast to this, I used to just let my left hand and arm hang freely.