PDA

View Full Version : how do I get back in the game?

calvero
05-14-2007, 03:46 PM
hi, i've decided to take up the game again & have no idea how to do so. not interested in playing matches yet since I haven't hit a ball in 5 years, so not interested in league play, usta, etc

was thinking of trying find a teaching pro or college player on craigslist for lessons/hitting partner(I want to hit with someone who is good, so I can get my strokes back, I played with some pretty casual players a few years ago & it was hard to get any rhythm, they couldn't keep the ball in play very long, wasn't fun) don't know what a fair price is for lessons, though.

i don't know anyone who plays so any suggestions would be appreciated how to procede(i live in los angeles)

also my racquet is pretty small(probably smaller than any pro uses) so i would like to upgrade since it will probably be hard to get my strokes back with such a small, stiff frame( i think it is a prince mid size, but looks as big as lendl's racquet was, i don't see any pictures of it on TW, so I'm guessing they don't even make it anymore)

any help in that matter is appreciated, i don't know much about racquets.

i did play singles in high school & played quite a bit before that as well(went to tennis camp when I was 10-12), so i'm not a beginner, but its been so long since i've played, so maybe i need to relearn the game.

Court_Jester
05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
How about getting a full-featured ball machine, capable of doing variable sideways oscillations, spins and variable depth oscillations? Such machine costs a pretty penny (~$1200 at least) but at least you can hit with it anytime you want and it won't cheat. ;)