PDA

View Full Version : Sania Mirza-HARSH

Mark Vessels
05-14-2007, 03:59 PM
From Wikipedia

Hackles have been raised in some Islamist quarters supposedly due to her attire not being conformant to Islamic Hijab. According to one report published September 8, 2005, an unnamed Islamic scholar had issued a fatwa, saying that her attire is contrary to what is permitted by Islam.[1]. A further report published the next day on this fatwa elaborated that Sania was unfazed by the comments made by Syed Yousaf Bin, the chief patron of the Ulema Board, in Hyderabad.[2].Large numbers of Indian Muslims protested her attire, accusing her of being a "corrupting inflence on the youth"[3]She has been widely attacked and villified in radical Islamist circles ,including a cleric named Haseeb-ul-hasan Siddiqui who said "The dress she wears on the tennis courts…leaves nothing to the imagination, She will undoubtedly be a corrupting influence."[4]. Radical Islamist groups such as Jamiat-ulema-e-Hind allegedly threatened to disrupt her tennis matches, following which the Calcutta police had to heighten security measures to protect her.[5]

In 2006, Mirza declined from playing with an Israeli tennis player Shahar Pe’er for fear of violent protests from India's Muslims and their opposition to the existence of Israel.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
05-14-2007, 04:15 PM
india needs to lighten up, sania should jsut get a us citizenship.

357sig
05-14-2007, 05:12 PM
Na they wouldnt hurt her , its the religion of peace.

roysid
05-14-2007, 08:08 PM
india needs to lighten up, sania should jsut get a us citizenship.
Sania is the most popular female player in India. People just love her there. She's like Sharapova, 90% earning coming from endorsements.

India is 80% Hindus and 5% Christians. Among the 15% muslims, just a section (fundamentalists) are against her attire. She is hero among rest of the moderate Muslims.

Anyway, currently after surgery she is lying low. It will take some time before she can do something.

gugarafa
05-16-2007, 01:10 AM
if she aint muslim whats the big deal?

tennis_hand
05-16-2007, 01:12 AM
not her fault.

megraf
05-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Im an Indian and personally, I dont think religion should come in the way of someone's career. They dont want her to wear a skirt! Please! You dont expect her to wear a Burkha and playdo you?

God. The world is turning the wrong way lately.

FedFan_2007
05-16-2007, 07:42 AM
I don't see what the problem is. She should abide by the dictates of her religion. Anything less is improper. God is great.

Geezer Guy
05-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Not quite the same thing, but I was at a tournament this past weekend and noticed that 1 girl was wearing a long calf-length dress with long sleeves and high socks. She was playing doubles, and the other 3 gals were wearing "regular" tennis attire. I didn't watch the entire match, but she was playing very well and it looked like her team was winning.

I was expecting her to use a wood racquet and play a finesse game, but she was using a modern racquet and hitting a pretty solid ball.

rommil
05-16-2007, 07:51 AM
Im an Indian and personally, I dont think religion should come in the way of someone's career. They dont want her to wear a skirt! Please! You dont expect her to wear a Burkha and playdo you?

God. The world is turning the wrong way lately.
I think the Burka gets in the way of the in between the legs shot.