PDA

View Full Version : Is hitting low bad?

chipsbuzz
05-14-2007, 05:32 PM
I know technique-wise it's good because of angle and less time to prepare for the opponent and such, but it isn't exactly percentage tennis when used a lot. I don't hit with much topspin and like hitting flat and low (by low I mean when I hit the ball, it seems to stay low behind the net and just hop over at the last second). I'm not exactly sure what i'm asking because I like the way I play, especially ina game that seems to have a lot of topspinners. In a sense, I mostly just feel stubborn against all of the spin-ners. I do slice (mostly forehand) at times and attempt topspin to change it up, but I like the fact that most of my opponents are more thrown off by my no spin and lower shots.

****Keep in mind that in this post, when I mention opponents I mean my HS team I visit on breaks****

I guess in the end a variety of shots would be better?

YonexDude
05-14-2007, 06:22 PM
hitting lots of slice that goes low over the net will always be a low percentage shot. it'll always be better for your game to develop a safer shot for extended rallies. i think using topspin would be a good idea for you, if not to make your shots safer but also to mix up your shots

fuzz nation
05-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I think that having a lot of shots in your toolbox can certainly make you more adaptable to different playing situations, but you don't need to be ashamed of your style if it gives your opponents some trouble. Those shots of yours that are low skidders are probably tougher for an opponent to tee off on and I love to use forehand slice against someone who comes to net. I'm accurate with it and I can use that shot to hit a descending ball low over the net onto the attacker's feet. Just develop the other shots and footwork you need to call upon given your style of play.

I watched a guy beat the field at a small tourney last year and all of his strokes were slices. His movement was excellent and the slower flight of his shots routinely gave him time to get back in position against hard topspin hitters. Lesson learned: your style of play demands a certain set of developed skills, so pay attention to where you're vulnerable and figure out how to deal with it.

Thomas Bird-Itch
05-16-2007, 12:30 PM
low is only bad if it's costing you points/matches or your errors creep up.

there's a guy in my 3.5 league that wins 90% of his matches with low, flat shots. many of them are deep slices and many are short angles. even the serve is this way. it's very effective. there's hardly any pace unless he's going to pass you at the net. i've played him close twice (1 week period) and lost both times. hopefully 3rd time will be lucky, or just better prepared on my part.

i think the reason spin players (i am one) don't like it is that low balls have a shorter window to be struck and the timing must be that much better. i'm actually working on my game to beat this type of player and maybe i'll even use a bit more of it myself.

richw76
05-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I could be way off but I think he would do very well with that strategy..... against 2.0-3.5 type players. But he won't get much better than that ever with this stategy. Against better players they'll get into position, get low, prepare early, and the low slicers unforced errors will get very high.... Now I have seen some great junior and 4.0-5.0 players that mix it up well. Slice deep to backhand during a rally or chip and rush net, or whatever

Also most people use topspin for a reason you can hit harder and more consistantly. I "aim" 1-3 feet over the net. My coach would make me do laps if I hit into the net.... the back fence was ok :-) anyway you become more consistant and can really attack the ball. Not just wait for the other guy to mess up.

z-money
05-16-2007, 01:06 PM
keep your feet moving if your footwork holds up you can hit however you want

Brian_C
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
yea i do that to, but i do it naturally so now i alway have to say in my head remember topspin,if not ill just hit flats all day o.0

thetruthshallsetyoufree
05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
it is better to aim high over the net, to play the percentages. but youre talking to someone who hits flat as well. so i hit my ball pretty low too.

In D Zone
05-16-2007, 02:13 PM
As an All Around Player - I found that it's always good to know how to hit with all types flat and spin (topspin, underspin forehand and backhand). If you are able to play with a variery of shots this is helpful particularly against a serve and volley player and in doubles.

You can always stay in the game with top spin specially during long rallys and when you exhausted. Top Spin shots has higher clearance from the net, Decrease % of error, hit the ball longer (great for pushing the volleyers back to the baseline). Top spin dippers - great decoy shots against volleyers or net guy (doubles).

Hitting Flat and low is always a great especially when you go for the offense (winning shots). Its a great deterrant in doubles from getting poached by the net player - it's harder for the net player to punch the ball because it is so close to the net (higher chance for the ball to drop down to the net).

Underspin (slice) : low forehand slice (chip), I used this mostly against those fast flat serves, approach shots and as a defense when I am on a dead run.
Backhand slice > used low shots as offense and high (defense). I think the slice is one weapon that is un-appreciated (not flashy). But those who know how to use it, it's a great weapon against any shots out there!