PDA

View Full Version : what do you do with your old shoes?

patrick922
05-14-2007, 07:37 PM
so what do you guys do to your old shoes that have been worn out? [theoretically speaking if they dont have holes yet, jut worn out]

do you guys keep it and wear it casually or just throw it away?

CivicLx
05-14-2007, 10:16 PM
i'd probably wear them until they were thrashed to the point i couldn't use them anymore...lately I've been buying shoes with the 6 month warranty and hoping to wear them in out that time. matter of fact I'll be replacing my MDPs from TW this week

sharp325i
05-15-2007, 02:55 PM
I just keep them and wear them around, especially if they are a nice looking shoe. for example, i have 4 pairs of the barricade ivs, one of which has been retired to mowing the lawn duty. I have one pair just for matches (lime) another for practice (grey/silver/orange) and an original pair (white/black/red) that i just to wear around because they are too used to play tennis in them.

nhstennis
05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Are pumps ok for a 125 lbs kid that wears an 11. are they too heavy??

GokuQ
05-15-2007, 04:27 PM
i give mine to a local charity--Goodwill

Morpheus
05-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Goodwill

Remember to take a photo if you want to claim the deduction.

fastdunn
05-15-2007, 04:40 PM
yeah, only way to get a peace of mind is to donate or recycle.

Mark Vessels
05-15-2007, 05:41 PM
so what do you guys do to your old shoes that have been worn out? [theoretically speaking if they dont have holes yet, jut worn out]

I stare at them, I do not wanna take it to skool b/c it does not deserve the harsh treatment skool gives it but I just marvel at its beauty.

croatian sensation
05-17-2007, 12:02 PM
I've thrown them in the washing machine to get the clay out. And now I use them for gym.
But they aren't worn out. Just that after 6 years (of not playing at all) I felt like I needed new shoes for a new start.

Geezer Guy
05-17-2007, 12:11 PM
I use my newest pair for matches.
I used my next-newest pair for practice.
I use my next newest pair casual street wear.
I use my oldest pair for yard work.
Anything older goes to Goodwill or Salvation Army.

Each time I get a new pair, each pair moves down a notch.

rasajadad
05-17-2007, 12:30 PM
They become my lawn-mowing sneakers.

zapvor
05-17-2007, 07:09 PM
I've thrown them in the washing machine to get the clay out. And now I use them for gym.
But they aren't worn out. Just that after 6 years (of not playing at all) I felt like I needed new shoes for a new start.

you had a pair for 6 years?

i always always always keep my shoes. i love shoes. i am a guy too:p and 40 years from now, i am going to take each one out of their boxes and ROCK it.

croatian sensation
05-17-2007, 11:29 PM
you had a pair for 6 years?

i always always always keep my shoes. i love shoes. i am a guy too:p and 40 years from now, i am going to take each one out of their boxes and ROCK it.

Maybe it was 7. But the catch is I bought new shoes shortly before I completley quit tennis. So they were in good condition, and just in the closet for years.

Nuke
05-18-2007, 03:47 AM
i give mine to a local charity--Goodwill
You give sneakers that are too worn out to wear to Goodwill? Not much of a "donation" is it? You realize that Goodwill will just throw them out, don't you? Thay can't sell those to anybody.

Bad Dog
05-18-2007, 05:20 AM
I use my comfy old tennis sneakers to go swimming in pristine lakes (with pebble beaches).

Craig Sheppard
05-18-2007, 05:32 AM

WORD! I mow my lawn in them. haha Or I wear them fishing or when i'm digging in the yard or something.

Sup2Dresq
05-18-2007, 05:34 AM

Agreed. Donate or recycle is the way too go. Unless you are using it to mow the lawn.

jonolau
05-19-2007, 07:24 PM
WORD! I mow my lawn in them. haha Or I wear them fishing or when i'm digging in the yard or something.

Yes, fishing! Way to go!

103xStateChamp
05-20-2007, 06:17 AM
Give some to kids I know that play tennis and don't have tennis shoes. Makes me fell good inside

rich s
05-20-2007, 08:47 AM

ditto........

chadilac
05-21-2007, 09:04 AM
i only get new shoes when i have holes in them.

zapvor
05-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe it was 7. But the catch is I bought new shoes shortly before I completley quit tennis. So they were in good condition, and just in the closet for years.

oh. you quit tennis????

zapvor
05-22-2007, 01:44 PM
wait....i think another one of my posts got deleted in here:(

Telley1
05-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I usually cut grass in the old shoes.

Capt. Willie
05-23-2007, 04:47 PM
You give sneakers that are too worn out to wear to Goodwill? Not much of a "donation" is it? You realize that Goodwill will just throw them out, don't you? Thay can't sell those to anybody.

Yeah, I was thinking the very same thing. In fact, and I don't mean to drift too far off the original subject, most clothing that is donated to charities are actually sold to cloth recycling companies. The clothing is than shredded and sold to other companies who use it for cloth filling in new items. Anyway, mine are usually used for yard work before meeting their ultimate demise.

Capt. Willie
05-23-2007, 04:54 PM
See these Barricades? Six months I've had these shoes. It's my best pair, I call him...Golden Boy. Golden Boy is always the first shoes I wear out on the tennis court...here touch Golden Boy! But see look at the soles, see it's fraying. Golden Boy is slowly dying. Each match brings him one step closer, that's what makes the tennis shoe such a tragic figure.

coach
05-25-2007, 10:08 PM

how does one RECYCLE old shoes?

ThePro101
08-21-2007, 10:56 AM

I'm cleaning my closet right now and I've found about 5 pairs of old tennis shoes - all with holes...

I used to donate them to charity, until one day I was walking through one of the charity stores and saw a pair that I donated about a month earlier. At first I was excited to see tennis shoes, but as soon as I realized that they were my old worn-out shoes, I was a little put off. Thinking, who would want to wear tennis shoes with holes in them - plus they were being sold for $10 (way too much).

So, I'm not going to donate them to charity, but I would really like to recycle them... so, anyone know anything about recycling old tennis shoes?

ThePro101
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
Well, I googled this and found a few programs out there. Unfortunately, there are none in my city, of roughly 700,000. I also called the citys' recycling program, and they said they would not take them. So it looks like they're heading for the trash! :(

Rafa freak
08-21-2007, 12:26 PM
I give mine to goodwill.

WildVolley
08-21-2007, 12:31 PM
If they are still comfortable, I just use them to kick around in and for yard work and the like. Usually by the time I toss them, they have holes in them and are worthless.

How do you recycle shoes? Once the sole starts to separate from the upper or you burn through the sole, they're done, aren't they? We're not talking expensive dress shoes that you can have resoled. By design, modern tennis shoes have a limited life-span and then they're done.

goober
08-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Thinking, who would want to wear tennis shoes with holes in them - plus they were being sold for $10 (way too much).

$10 for shoes with holes in them? That's a serious ripoff. They should just give those away. You can buy cheap brand new tennis shoes for $10-15!

ThePro101
08-21-2007, 07:55 PM
$10 for shoes with holes in them? That's a serious ripoff. They should just give those away. You can buy cheap brand new tennis shoes for $10-15!

That was exactly my thinking... I thought they would be given to a totally shoe-less person... oh well, I guess everyone needs* to make a little money... :(

tbini87
08-21-2007, 09:05 PM
i keep mine to use for other things like bike riding, working around the house... etc. then eventually they get thrown away.

blitzmage_89
08-22-2007, 12:18 AM
i never throw them unless the sole entirely chips off the shoe. I already have 3 nikes and an adidas running and I use them usually when it rains and the streets are drenched (they're black , i dont have to clean them)

Michelangelo
08-22-2007, 05:46 AM
Salvation Army

Gorecki
08-22-2007, 11:49 PM
I use mine as vases. have you seen a pair of Oscilates with tulips inside? lovely...:)

origmarm
08-23-2007, 12:13 AM
I donate them to charity or use them for gardening

ThePro101
08-23-2007, 04:51 AM
So, does that mean that even if the shoes have holes in them you will donate them to charity???

(I use specific shoes for specific things, like cycling shoes for cycling, golf shoes for yard work, etc. I really have no use for my old worn-out shoes)

dtd82
08-23-2007, 07:01 PM
fumigate them, bag them, and send them to Ohio for disposal with the hazardous waste......

Richie Rich
08-23-2007, 07:22 PM
i toss them out.

goosala
09-01-2007, 07:29 AM
I donate mine to charity.

TheJRK
09-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Giving to a charity is the best thing to do. I spent several months in the Horn of Africa and we delivered donated shoes (mostly running shoes) to the various orphanages. The kids there are tremendous athletes but they lack basic sporting equipment (like shoes) so they were really grateful.

Jonny S&V
09-05-2007, 12:41 PM

Salvation Army.

Nadal_Rulz
09-07-2007, 04:47 PM
They are sitting in my closet.

fastdunn
09-13-2007, 02:59 PM

You know, I spent some amount of time on this shoe recycling issue.

A few years ago, the only sneaker manufacturer that has a public recycling program was Nike (Reuse-A-Shoe). They have recycling bin. Of course they take shoes from any manufacturer. I think they use the shoes to make artificial basketball surfaces.

When I return shoes for manufacturers warantee, I also include a small note to the shoes manufacturer that I insist they should recycle my old shoes or send them to Nike...

For a nearest Nike Reuse-a-shoe drop off locations,

http://www.nike.com/nikebiz/nikebiz.jhtml;bsessionid=LSJBDA04XPVEKCQFTAPCF5AKA WMCGIZB?page=26&cat=reuseashoe&subcat=us

2 Cent
09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
when i wear down my shoes to the point where the soles are starting to get holes, i throw them out.

gocard
09-15-2007, 07:23 AM
fastdunn, thanks for the link! It's very helpful and looks like a great program. I found one drop-off location near me so I think I'll go do that with my old shoes :D