PDA

View Full Version : #500 ATP vs #1 WTA: Who wins?

WestNott
05-14-2007, 10:59 PM
So I am proposing a match between #500 ATP and #1 WTA- who would win? What would the score be? Also on the same note, how about #1 NCAA Men vs. #1 WTA?

I know the answer, but first I'll let everyone share their opinions. :D

christo
05-14-2007, 11:10 PM
the tv networks

jamauss
05-14-2007, 11:11 PM
#500 ATP, not even close. Might be close if you said like...good D-1 college vs. #1 WTA

Alafter
05-14-2007, 11:15 PM
where do you get the answer from?

PrinceO3TourOS
I think any ATP player between No. 100-200 can beat any WTA Top 10 :lol:

OrangeOne
So I am proposing a match between #500 ATP and #1 WTA- who would win? What would the score be? Also on the same note, how about #1 NCAA Men vs. #1 WTA?

I notice you're new. Welcome. You'll like it here.

By the way - this same discussion has been posted dozens and dozens of times, it's one that is done over & over & over.... (like Fed / Nadal, Graf / Seles, mid vs. MP, etc etc etc). Sometimes the search button will reveal such threads if they interest you...

andreh
05-14-2007, 11:20 PM
I think there actually was match between chain-smoking german hack ranked around 200-300 and a top women pro (can't remeber who) in the 90s. The chain smoking german won easily.

Phil
05-14-2007, 11:21 PM

GROAN...not another one...

WestNott
05-14-2007, 11:30 PM
relax everyone!! tv networks, i love that answer. I am a writer and I just interviewed former Georgia Bulldog Bo Hodge who was the full-time traveling hitting partner for Venus and Serena Williams for over a year. He actually tells all, so this is a great story for average tennis fans- the proof is right here. I'm going to release the full-story soon and when I do- I'll let you know when and where.

equinox
05-14-2007, 11:57 PM
I'm certain any decent open level player playing the futures qualifying could beat a top wta player.

I mean seriously..

edberg505
05-15-2007, 12:05 AM
relax everyone!! tv networks, i love that answer. I am a writer and I just interviewed former Georgia Bulldog Bo Hodge who was the full-time traveling hitting partner for Venus and Serena Williams for over a year. He actually tells all, so this is a great story for average tennis fans- the proof is right here. I'm going to release the full-story soon and when I do- I'll let you know when and where.

Ahh, Bo Hodge. Been a while since anyone has heard from him. What's he doing nowadays? Is he still trying to play futures?

ohlori
05-15-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm certain any decent open level player playing the futures qualifying could beat a top wta player.

I mean seriously..

Really? Shocking *yawn*. Maybe it's because men women are completely different:confused:

jetlee2k
05-15-2007, 06:38 AM
#500 atp will kill #1 wta player anyday.. any time anywhere on any surface.. A good division 1 college player will have a more competitive match..

diegaa
05-15-2007, 06:39 AM
I am really tempted to use fee´s form...

MasterTS
05-15-2007, 06:42 AM
I happen to know a of a few D1 players that beat top 10 WTA pros.

One in particular was playing #3s for UCLA and beat Jennifier Capriati (back during her prime when she was top 3)... score was something around 6-1, 6-2. I think the guy gave her a 3 games so she wouldnt feel so bad.

MasterTS
05-15-2007, 06:44 AM
Just to give some more perspective with level of difference.

I just played a D1 female player from the east coast and I beat her 6-2, 6-2... and I'm only a 4.5 lol. I thought it would be closer match.

She hits consistent but can't really move too well, as with most females. Beating them is just about moving the ball.

HollerOne5
05-15-2007, 06:53 AM
Tired discussion

Even Lindsay Davenport said her 35 year old husband who played D1 college tennis in the day could beat her when she was #1....there's your answer.

Fee
05-15-2007, 07:03 AM
I am really tempted to use fee´s form...

Go right ahead, but I need to add a line...

[_] Self promoting spam disguised as a discussion

Anyone who wants to know what Bo Hodge is up to can just read his myspace page.

Hopefully your article will be as interesting as you are hinting. Bo could have some insightful things to share, especially if he happened to be there the day Kaarsten Brasch beat Venus in Australia (or was it Serena?).

norcal
05-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Bo could have some insightful things to share, especially if he happened to be there the day Kaarsten Brasch beat Venus in Australia (or was it Serena?).
I think he beat both of them.

Eviscerator
05-15-2007, 07:27 AM

By the way - this same discussion has been posted dozens and dozens of times, it's one that is done over & over & over.... (like Fed / Nadal, Graf / Seles, mid vs. MP, etc etc etc). Sometimes the search button will reveal such threads if they interest you...

Indeed, hello and welcome to the forum.

Fed vs. Nadal has been discussed a few times already> :p

Jonny S&V
05-15-2007, 07:31 AM

Yep, he beat both of them. And just to rub it in, he was smoking on changeovers. He had to have the wierdest best serve I have seen (if that made sense, you are a cryptologist ;) ).

DashaandSafin
05-15-2007, 09:01 AM
Yep its another one. Use the search function.

oscar_2424
05-15-2007, 10:14 AM

ouch and welcome to tw!!:)

Pleepers
05-15-2007, 10:25 AM
I think there was an article in Tennis magazine a few years back were some German guy ranked in the top 500 had played a top female player after a night of drinking and a cigarette and still beat the female ~6-1, 6-1.

Serena on the other hand is not your typical female athlete. She has the muscles of a body-builder and athleticism of any world-class Olympian. I would bet she could give a lot of top 500 men a run for their money?

Andres
05-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I think there was an article in Tennis magazine a few years back were some German guy ranked in the top 500 had played a top female player after a night of drinking and a cigarette and still beat the female ~6-1, 6-1.

Serena on the other hand is not your typical female athlete. She has the muscles of a body-builder and athleticism of any world-class Olympian. I would bet she could give a lot of top 500 men a run for their money?
Serena WAS that female player. She and her sister Venus. They played Karsten Braasch (spell?), and he beat Serena 6-1, and Venus 6-2...

And probably being extra nice with them.

caesar66
05-15-2007, 10:33 AM

please post this, I watched bo hodge play on the UGA team the year they won the NCAA doubles, singles, and team titles. He was great to watch, and I actually saw him hitting w/ the williams sisters at the 05 US open. I'd love to see what he says. He still hangs around the courts alot with the team, I'm not sure if he has a coaching job or not but I see him often when I watch them play in athens.

StunLock
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
I do think they should host something like a male retired legend vs a top ranked current WPA player match, like the Michael Johnson vs Donovan Bailey 150m duel. That will be epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sryuicuQyR0

Pleepers
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Serena WAS that female player. She and her sister Venus. They played Karsten Braasch (spell?), and he beat Serena 6-1, and Venus 6-2...

And probably being extra nice with them.

I wasn't sure -but I thought it was one of the Williams sisters. I didn't know it was both of them. Wow. I wonder if the old Serena is much different than the current one? If not, I guess you could throw out my claim about Sera giving a top 500 a run for his money? Thanks for the confirmation Andres ;)

jhhachamp
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
I played a varsity guy at my school and lost 6-0 6-2. I also played a varsity at my school and beat her 6-0 and she quit.

justinnum1
05-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I think any player ranked above 300 would have a challenge against Serena.

crazylevity
05-16-2007, 06:28 AM
Yep, he beat both of them. And just to rub it in, he was smoking on changeovers. He had to have the wierdest best serve I have seen (if that made sense, you are a cryptologist ;) ).

I am a cryptologist. You meant that amongst servers with a weird serve motion, he had the best one.

Andres
05-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Shouldn't that be 'the best weirdest serve' instead of 'the weirdest best serve' ?

The weirdest best serve is, imo, amongts the best serves, he has the weirdest :p

Maybe I'm not that good as a cryptologist :p

megraf
05-16-2007, 07:01 AM
#1 WTA obviously.:P

Jonny S&V
05-16-2007, 07:15 AM
Shouldn't that be 'the best weirdest serve' instead of 'the weirdest best serve' ?

The weirdest best serve is, imo, amongts the best serves, he has the weirdest :p
Maybe I'm not that good as a cryptologist :p

Ding Ding Ding! You (amazingly) picked out what I was trying to say! :p

baseliner
05-16-2007, 08:30 AM
I believe Karsten B. also had an open beer can during the "match". I also remember when Chris Evert was #1 on WTA and her brother was playing college tennis at Auburn she said he bear her easily.

kaiotic
05-16-2007, 05:16 PM
Serena Williams is a different type of WTA #1.
just wait till she loses 15 more lbs.
i think she would give a lot of D1 men and a few of #500 ATP more than a hand full.

tennishead93
05-16-2007, 06:10 PM
how about a top national b14's player vs. a top g18's itf

zpeed7
05-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Here you go...

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/osm/story/0,,543962,00.html

35ft6
05-17-2007, 05:14 AM
how about a top national b14's player vs. a top g18's itf Probably the boy.

I'd like to see how the WTA top 10 would do in the Ojai Men's Opens. Winning a round isn't inconceivable, but that would be about it.

Whenever people talk about how different Serena is, like she's almost a man or something, I wonder if they realize she actually loses to women quite a bit. Are they almost like men also? It would stand to reason that if they can beat near-man-like-physical-abilities Serena, that they too must have a shot against male players. Women like... ZVONAREVA... HANTUCHOVA... JANKOVIC... Mauresmo... and SYBILLE BAMMER. These are the shemales that beat her in 2006 and 2007.

Andres
05-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Serena Williams is a different type of WTA #1.
just wait till she loses 15 more lbs.
i think she would give a lot of D1 men and a few of #500 ATP more than a hand full.
No, she would still lose 1 and 1 against an ATP Top500

The Grand Slam
05-17-2007, 05:40 AM

Henin would not stand a chance against Bardoczky. He plays freaking Davis Cup.

shrakkie
05-17-2007, 05:42 AM
Now now lets not compare. We already know who would win as it has been discussed many many times.

deluxe
05-17-2007, 07:20 AM
Does the #500ATP guy have to play left handed?

Ztalin
05-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Probably the boy.

I'd like to see how the WTA top 10 would do in the Ojai Men's Opens. Winning a round isn't inconceivable, but that would be about it.

Whenever people talk about how different Serena is, like she's almost a man or something, I wonder if they realize she actually loses to women quite a bit. Are they almost like men also? It would stand to reason that if they can beat near-man-like-physical-abilities Serena, that they too must have a shot against male players. Women like... ZVONAREVA... HANTUCHOVA... JANKOVIC... Mauresmo... and SYBILLE BAMMER. These are the shemales that beat her in 2006 and 2007.

Serena looks like a man, but she doesn't play like a man. She has power, but not the complete athletic ability of top male athletes.

tintin
05-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Probably the boy.

Whenever people talk about how different Serena is, like she's almost a man or something

well she really does look like a man

Voltron
05-17-2007, 08:03 AM

Serena on the other hand is not your typical female athlete. She has the muscles of a body-builder and athleticism of any world-class Olympian. a total lie. She does have muscles, but she makes up for it in fat. I mean, really, her *** has several moons. I would bet she could give a lot of top 500 men a run for their money? As Andres said, she got beaten by a chain smoking German. So again, you are wrong. I think you may have a man-crush.......errrrr......crush Besides, all of those points, she scares the hell out of me.

zpeed7
05-17-2007, 06:15 PM
Besides, all of those points, she scares the hell out of me.

Wonder why?????

http://www.agencetropiques.ch/serena.jpg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/070329/070329_williams_vmed_8p.widec.jpg

:mrgreen:

CEvertFan
05-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I don't think that Serena could give the guys a run for their money. Sure she's powerful and quick and has a good serve BUT she's always been WAY too inconsistent off the ground against the other women, how would she be against a guy who hits even harder than the women do? You would see her get beaten easily and she would have a TON of UEs and not nearly as many winners as she usually is able to hit against the other women to balance out those excessive, pesky UEs.

Voltron
05-17-2007, 07:18 PM
I don't think that Serena could give the guys a run for their money. Sure she's powerful and quick and has a good serve BUT she's always been WAY too inconsistent off the ground against the other women, how would she be against a guy who hits even harder than the women do? You would see her get beaten easily and she would have a TON of UEs and not nearly as many winners as she usually is able to hit against the other women to balance out those excessive, pesky UEs.
Then she would whine about it and claim that there were hecklers in the crowd that bothered her, she has some sort of injury, her strings are new, her racquet is new, and a bunch of other crap.

OrangeOne
05-17-2007, 07:24 PM

It's not just the pace though, it's the work on the ball. Some may say she hits as hard as some of the guys, but the guys that are hitting as 'slow' as she is are putting loads more work on the ball than is seen on the WTA tour. The ones who are hitting faster than her - well they're putting more work on the ball too!

I respect women's tennis and I enjoy watching it, that said I can acknowledge that women are physiologically different. In endurance sports, 15% is a common male-female margin. The difference is greater in power-sports, and tennis, since the 1980s, has become more of a power sport year-on-year. Maybe there is a few % separating the top 100, and maybe there's few more % more separating the next 1000 or 2000, but that's overall ability, and certainly isn't power-based. There'll be guys in the lower 1000s who hit as powerfully, but not with the same placement or consistency, as the top 100. Serena versus most 'ATP' males, well it's not going to be a long match, as Braasch proved years ago...

Steady Eddy
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Does 6.0 male = 7.0 woman?