PDA

View Full Version : Brad Gilbert: "Nadal will finish the year with the number one ranking."

Chicane
05-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Got this straight from Brad Gilbert's blog. I think very highly of BG and I think he might be right with this prediction. The man likes to talk but he knows what he is talking about. We'll see...

It took him seven years but tomorrow Andy Murray finally makes it out of his teens. Hes got a tricky draw in Hamburg and has to take on Volandri who had a career win last week against Fed.

Rolf is just a beast. The guy is playing like an animal and is on a monster role. Im going to say it right here and now: Nadal will finish the year with the number one ranking. The big news in the tennis world this weekend was Federer splitting from his coach Tony Roche. The last time he rocked his coach he won 3 out the 4 majors. Im going to give him some slack because sometimes tennis players need time to think.

Serbia has become the new Belgium of tennis. Theyve got 3 players in the top 10 and had a great week with Ivanovic winning in Berlin and Zimonjic capturing the doubles title in Rome.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 01:26 AM
save this thread for the year-end.

Kim
05-15-2007, 01:27 AM
Deep inside, he knows this will fire up Fed. When people talk "badly" of Fed, I notice he gets that motivations again to dominate...case in point Djoko, Roddick...The thing is Fed and Nad are too friendly with each other. But when people begin saying things like what Gilbert has said, it will, hopefully, fuel Fed's fire again...and Brad knows that :)

thu_huong
05-15-2007, 01:33 AM
save this thread for the year-end.

Yes, the end-year:mad:

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 01:34 AM
He is in a slump form after his best form in AO and Dubai.
He didn't have a hump during the whole AO. Usually he will have an easy match followed by a tough match and an easy match again. That he didn't experience this in AO means this cycle is no longer match-based, but tournament based, and this is more dangerous.

So he will be back again. it probably takes some time. but he'll make it during the year.

War, Safin!
05-15-2007, 01:40 AM
If Federer fails dramatcially at the French (and Nadal wins) then Nadal will only be 1100 pts or so behind Federer.

Of course, we have to assume that Federer will be back on-course for another Wimbledon and US Open each, which should be enough to ensure his #1 sport by end of 2007.

roysid
05-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Probably Nadal will win Hamburg and French. And Fed will make the finals of both. Gap between them will still be 2000.

But also Nadal may lose before Wimbledon final. And Fed wins. In that case Fed again increases his lead.

Baghdatis72
05-15-2007, 01:54 AM
Quite unexpected statement from Gilbert but he doesn't explain why he thinks that this is the case :rolleyes:

Chicane
05-15-2007, 02:01 AM
Guys, the way Federer has been playing right now, I don't see how he will pass through the third round @ Hamburg. Being in the same quarter as Djokovic doesn't help Fed's chance to advance to the final, either. Federer is leading by 2140 points right now and I can see the margin to be reduced to under 2000 points by the end of the week.

Baghdatis72
05-15-2007, 02:05 AM
If Nadal wins Hamburg too and Federer fails to reach one of the final stages of the tournament then the difference will fall to around 1800 points.

J-man
05-15-2007, 03:15 AM
If Nadal can keep consistant during the summer hardcourt season and the indoor he could take it.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 04:27 AM
Even 1000 points is still a lot of points. look at the gap behind Nadal. They are separated by tens of points. That is called close.

and now we are in clay season. don't be fooled that Nadal will be in the final of every event he is in on grass and fast hard court season.

Baghdatis72
05-15-2007, 04:32 AM
Even 1000 points is still a lot of points. look at the gap behind Nadal. They are separated by tens of points. That is called close.

and now we are in clay season. don't be fooled that Nadal will be in the final of every event he is in on grass and fast hard court season.

Yeah but let's not forget that 1 mistake in the Wimbledon or the US Open can lead to the loss of many hundreds of points for Federer and he also has to defend a few other MS events and the MS cup at the end of the year.

pound cat
05-15-2007, 05:07 AM
Nadal is tip-toeing his way to #1 in a modest and unassuming way. I would love to see him as #1 and an end to some of the Federer bravado which of which I've had enough. Nadal...a completely different personality.

RedWeb
05-15-2007, 05:30 AM
Gilbert may soon be looking for another charge... Did anyone see Andy get injured this morning? While I agreed with the announcers that its Andy's call to quit the match, the way he relates to Gilbert makes me think their relationship is soon to be over and that Murray is a long way from having the maturity to win the big one. What a momma's boy!

predrag
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM
Brad Gilbrt picking somebody to do well is kiss of death

:)

Regards Predrag

Got this straight from Brad Gilbert's blog. I think very highly of BG and I think he might be right with this prediction. The man likes to talk but he knows what he is talking about. We'll see...

It took him seven years but tomorrow Andy Murray finally makes it out of his teens. Hes got a tricky draw in Hamburg and has to take on Volandri who had a career win last week against Fed.

Rolf is just a beast. The guy is playing like an animal and is on a monster role. Im going to say it right here and now: Nadal will finish the year with the number one ranking. The big news in the tennis world this weekend was Federer splitting from his coach Tony Roche. The last time he rocked his coach he won 3 out the 4 majors. Im going to give him some slack because sometimes tennis players need time to think.

Serbia has become the new Belgium of tennis. Theyve got 3 players in the top 10 and had a great week with Ivanovic winning in Berlin and Zimonjic capturing the doubles title in Rome.

Andres
05-15-2007, 05:41 AM
Probably Nadal will win Hamburg and French. And Fed will make the finals of both. Gap between them will still be 2000.

But also Nadal may lose before Wimbledon final. And Fed wins. In that case Fed again increases his lead.
Personally, I don't expect Federer to make it to the finals at the French this year.

Rhino
05-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Brad Gilbrt picking somebody to do well is kiss of death

Agreed. If Gibert says it then it usually doesn't happen.

MasterTS
05-15-2007, 06:15 AM

So I make this post last week and we have people whining that I'm trolling.. now we have brad gilbert saying it and its "genius"? lol

Wondertoy
05-15-2007, 06:17 AM
Gilbert speaks loud and wants to be controversal but is rarely right. He talked himself into a great gig for lots of money but he really doesn't offer value for the money as a coach.

predrag
05-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Gilbert speaks loud and wants to be controversal but is rarely right. He talked himself into a great gig for lots of money but he really doesn't offer value for the money as a coach.

I disagree here.
I think he is excellent coach. He did help Agassi and did help Roddick. And is
helping Murray.
But as far as picking players that would do good he is usually wrong.

Regards, Predrag

johnny ballgame
05-15-2007, 07:06 AM
If Nadal can keep consistant during the summer hardcourt season and the indoor he could take it.

Agree, that is the key. I personally believe that Rafa will have better success than Fed will at Cincy and Toronto. Also, Rafa might go further in the US Open than Fed will at Roland Garros. So it should come down to who does better at the Masters Cup. Should be fun to watch.

hrishi5
05-15-2007, 07:20 AM
I don't think this prediction has too much substance behind it. I mean its pretty obvious Brad is getting carried away witnessing Nadal demolish his opponents so easily on clay as yet. We all know Nadal is a beast on clay and we all expected him to rise up to the occasion on clay, so its no surprise seeing him pull off such streaks on his strongest surface. I guess its human nature to get carried away. Let the clay season conclude and then we will see how much of Brad's prediction actually comes true. And I don't think it will. Tennis isn't only about the clay season. Lets see how well Nadal does come the hardcourt season. I think only then can we put something reasonable forward.

Eviscerator
05-15-2007, 07:23 AM
If Federer fails dramatcially at the French (and Nadal wins) then Nadal will only be 1100 pts or so behind Federer.

Of course, we have to assume that Federer will be back on-course for another Wimbledon and US Open each, which should be enough to ensure his #1 sport by end of 2007.

Good points and I would be shocked to see Nadal in the final of Wimbledon again unless they have slowed the courts and balls even more than usual.

johnny ballgame
05-15-2007, 07:51 AM
... I guess its human nature to get carried away. Let the clay season conclude and then we will see how much of Brad's prediction actually comes true. And I don't think it will. Tennis isn't only about the clay season. Lets see how well Nadal does come the hardcourt season.

Do you think Indian Wells is any indication of how the summer hardcourt season will go?

Morrissey
05-15-2007, 08:10 AM
So I make this post last week and we have people whining that I'm trolling.. now we have brad gilbert saying it and its "genius"? lol

They call you a troll because you say things they don't want to hear. You said it first before Brad Gilbert and now people listen to him. Ironic.

noeledmonds
05-15-2007, 08:17 AM
It is remakable how everyone on this board seems unable to look at things in perspective and take a step back. Nadal has a bad start to the year and everyone says he will fall way down the rankings, now Nadal plays well and Federer has some poor performances and everyone presumes Nadal will take Federer's number 1 ranking. In the past in tennis it is very rare for players to simply fall away or indeed remain unbeaten without poor results. At the final of Wimbledon last year many thought Nadal would take over Federer, or even if he lost the final he would push for the number 1 ranking with more consitant performances. This was not the case. There are always ebbs and flows as players go through good patches and bad patches. This does not mean that their form will spiral in that direction, be it a positive or negative direction. Personally I think Federer will mantain his number 1 ranking and Nadal will maintain his number 2 ranking.

HollerOne5
05-15-2007, 08:18 AM
Who cares about the 52 week ranking when it comes to talking about the year end. Nadal has over a 100 point lead in the race, and will obviously increase that even more over Hamburg and Roland Garros. All he has to do is worry about winning enough to stay ahead of Federer from there on out in the race. Very possible with Federer's play of late.

Look at it, if Nadal wins Hamburg, he will have won 4 out of 5 masters series events, with Fed winning 0. Thats incredible. Then after the french they will have one a slam each. Umm...thats a pretty big difference. Fed will have to out perform Nadal by that margin or so in the second half of the year. Probably a tough task.

HollerOne5
05-15-2007, 08:21 AM
and BTW, since we are saving this thread until the end of the year, mark my words when I say the top 3 will be all very close, with Djokovic in the mix as well. I wouldn't even be suprised if he sneaks out a slam this year, and Djokovic WILL get a win over Federer this year for sure. Just watch.....

Morrissey
05-15-2007, 08:22 AM
Who cares about the 52 week ranking when it comes to talking about the year end. Nadal has over a 100 point lead in the race, and will obviously increase that even more over Hamburg and Roland Garros. All he has to do is worry about winning enough to stay ahead of Federer from there on out in the race. Very possible with Federer's play of late.

Look at it, if Nadal wins Hamburg, he will have won 4 out of 5 masters series events, with Fed winning 0. Thats incredible. Then after the french they will have one a slam each. Umm...thats a pretty big difference. Fed will have to out perform Nadal by that margin or so in the second half of the year. Probably a tough task.

I didn't realize it until you put it that way. Sometimes we look ahead and not with the recent results. That would be amazing if he wins 4 of 5 Masters Series events and then a FO. Any other year he could coast the rest of the way to a clear and easy number one ranking.

simi
05-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Here we have Roger Federer, who many say is the very best to ever play the game, albeit a 'work in progress'. Then this talk of him losing his #1 ranking, however remote and unlikely, remains a possibility. Makes Sampras' six consecutive years finishing at #1 all the more impressive...and an undervalued achievement.

fastdunn
05-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Actually, Roger playing level went down from Wimbledon 2006.
Basically he won Wimbledon 2006 , US Open 2006, AO 2007
on his B+ or A- game.

Now he often shows his B or C game and many in the rest of tours
are approaching A game.

Even if Roger recovers his A game, it's not going to be as easy as his 2005
or 2006. The rest of tour is catching up.

But it's good thing for him to win 2007 AO.
He'll probably end up as #1. All he has to do is to win Wimbledon or US Open.

edberg505
05-15-2007, 11:00 AM

Oh, you mean just like Brad picked him to win the Aussie Open this year? Hahahaha. Take this guy's predictions with the proverbial grain of salt.

Andres
05-15-2007, 11:03 AM

Indeed, but Fed has the grass tourneys, Wimbledon, the fast MS (toronto, cincinatti, madrid and SPECIALLY Paris), plus the USO. Plus the Masters.

It's true, point wise, 4 MS eclipse 1 GS. Hell, they are even with 2 slams. With one slam (FO), and 4 MS shields, Federer HAS to win USO and Wimby. Now, it's down to the rest of the MS, where Fed usually performs better than Nadal.

It's going to be one heck of a race. Nadal has showed his confidence is up in the sky, and he's going to battle his way trough the slower hardcourt MS.

ibemadskillzz
05-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Nadal needs to lift more weights to generate more pop on his forehand and backhand, then he will be able to dominate Federer at the US Open and wimbledon.
Also if Nadal improves a lot on his serves, Fed will lose at wimbledon to Nadal.

power_play21
05-15-2007, 11:09 AM

lol thats actually pretty funny

Chicane
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Gilbert may soon be looking for another charge... Did anyone see Andy get injured this morning? While I agreed with the announcers that its Andy's call to quit the match, the way he relates to Gilbert makes me think their relationship is soon to be over and that Murray is a long way from having the maturity to win the big one. What a momma's boy!

Can you elaborate? What did Gilbert do?

Mikael
05-15-2007, 11:24 AM
Federer can't keep his 2003-2006 level up forever. Federer's domination has been so intense that people have started associating a kind of "mystique" to his performances. But he's not a "super hero"! He's just much more talented than the average tennis player. However, his awesome game rests a lot on his footwork, much more than, say, Sampras. He doesn't have a huge serve or huge groundies that he can use when he gets tired or doesn't move so well anymore. His game is much more about fluidity, which is what makes it extremely pleasant to watch BTW. Unfortunately it also means that Federer is a lot more vulnerable to aging. Maybe what we are witnessing are already the effects of aging, or maybe it is only a mini-slump. However, given Federer's age and given the amount of tennis he's played in the past 3 years, I woudn't be surprised if this were the beginning of his decline. Still, I'm picking him to end the year no1 again, with a much narrower lead though. 2008 could be the year Nadal overtakes him.

CyBorg
05-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Gilbert says a lot of things.

VamosRafa
05-15-2007, 12:15 PM
and BTW, since we are saving this thread until the end of the year, mark my words when I say the top 3 will be all very close, with Djokovic in the mix as well. I wouldn't even be suprised if he sneaks out a slam this year, and Djokovic WILL get a win over Federer this year for sure. Just watch.....

If Volandri can get a win over Fed, that opens the door for players other than just Djokovic.

CyBorg
05-15-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't see Nadal doing much damage in the summer. I think he'll have a very competitive Wimbledon (semifinal most likely), but falter in the following couple of months on speedier hardcourts. The US Open in particular plays to all of Nadal's weaknesses - he can muster a better result than last year but I don't see him winning on such a fast surface.

The indoor season is where Nadal should pick up some extra points. Madrid in particular.

RedWeb
05-15-2007, 12:41 PM
Can you elaborate? What did Gilbert do?

It appeared that Gilbert was shaking his head in disbelief and had the attitude that "hey, get back out there and try to play". Murray tried and that lasted two hits before it was clear that he could not continue. Murray then went off on one of his all-to-common tirades at Gilbert using every curse word in the book, with the "F" word coming out loud and clear serveral times. Then when Murray left the court he would not even look or talk to Gilbert who was chasing him down under the main grandstands.

JoeU
05-15-2007, 01:41 PM
It's true, point wise, 4 MS eclipse 1 GS. Hell, they are even with 2 slams. With one slam (FO), and 4 MS shields, Federer HAS to win USO and Wimby. Now, it's down to the rest of the MS, where Fed usually performs better than Nadal.

It's going to be one heck of a race. Nadal has showed his confidence is up in the sky, and he's going to battle his way trough the slower hardcourt MS.

Let's not forget Federer is still 2100 points ahead of Nadal - even after
all of Nadal's recent wins. If Fed fails to win either the USO or Wimbledon, Nadal would still need to either win or go very deep in the GS to make up the difference.

Joe

fastdunn
05-15-2007, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't translate Brad Gibert's words literally.

He often makes a strong statement that gives some insight.

The guy sometimes has very different thoughts on how things works
but he does offer very rare insights sometimes...

Nadal was asked (right after FO 2006) if he could overtake #1 in 2006.
"Oh-no. impossible. roger play unbelievable. impossible."
then a few seconds later.
"but he can't play like this forever. maybe i can try in 2007..."

mileslong
05-15-2007, 01:46 PM
Rolf is just a beast. The guy is playing like an animal and is on a monster role.
maybe it would add some validity to his comments if he even knew how to use the english language, it's "monster roll" not "monster role" you dumbarse...

mileslong
05-15-2007, 01:47 PM
the problem is that you made this prediction 3 freaking years ago and look what happend...you said fed was washed up 3 years ago, what a maroon...

armand
05-15-2007, 01:54 PM
maybe it would add some validity to his comments if he even knew how to use the english language, it's "monster roll" not "monster role" you dumbarse...LOL maybe he's playing the role of a monster? BTW, who in the hell is Rolf?

J-man
05-15-2007, 04:17 PM
I don't see Nadal doing much damage in the summer. I think he'll have a very competitive Wimbledon (semifinal most likely), but falter in the following couple of months on speedier hardcourts. The US Open in particular plays to all of Nadal's weaknesses - he can muster a better result than last year but I don't see him winning on such a fast surface.

The indoor season is where Nadal should pick up some extra points. Madrid in particular.It's funny because most of those hard flat hitting players that Nadal has trouble with (Blake, Berdych ect) can't play on grass all that well. Which leaves the gate open for Nadal at Wimbledon. But reach the hardcourt summer season a surface that Nadal can still play on, he gets beat by the Blake's and Berdych's.

fastdunn
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
The thing is that grass courts now bounces very high and I'm not sure
if it's so much for flat hitters like it used to be.

Having same finalists at both French Open and WImbledon 2007
is no coincident, IMHO.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 04:50 PM
wherever Roddick does well, Nadal will falter. :D i.e. the US Open for sure.

tennis_hand
05-15-2007, 04:51 PM
I disagree here.
I think he is excellent coach. He did help Agassi and did help Roddick. And is
helping Murray.
But as far as picking players that would do good he is usually wrong.

Regards, Predrag

He has more things to worry about his Murray to sing songs for Nadal.

NamRanger
05-15-2007, 04:56 PM
It's funny because most of those hard flat hitting players that Nadal has trouble with (Blake, Berdych ect) can't play on grass all that well. Which leaves the gate open for Nadal at Wimbledon. But reach the hardcourt summer season a surface that Nadal can still play on, he gets beat by the Blake's and Berdych's.

Roddick is back in form, with some good showings at tournaments he did very poorly in the 2006 season (Australian, Miami, Indian Wells, etc). An in form Roddick would demolish Nadal on grass just because it's grass. His serve would be able to carry him most of the match. I don't see Nadal getting past Roddick at Wimbledon if he even gets past the quarters, because he's playing a TON of claycourt tennis.

Nadal will be tired by the end of the clay court season, he will most likely skip Queens which he played last season. With the insane amount of playing he's doing, he's going to be tired by the time grass season comes around, most likely he will not be able to reproduce a Wimbledon final like last tournament, considering players like Djokavic, Murray, and Roddick (all who can play on grass) are playing the best tennis (or, for quite some time for Roddick) of their lives. Then you always have dangerous floaters like Kendrick who could upset Nadal at grass.

Where Nadal needs to pick up points really is the hardcourt season. If he can win either Toronto and Cincinnati, and then make a good showing at the U.S. Open, that cuts down Federer's lead significantly. With a better indoor season, he could possibly take over by early 2008 at the Australian Open.

Baghdatis72
05-15-2007, 04:59 PM
Face it! For Nadal to be number 1 by the end of the year Federer has to crumble for the rest of the year and Nadal has to do well in most hard court and grass events. I think that the ranking point difference will be minimized but Nadal will still be number 2.

fastdunn
05-15-2007, 05:21 PM
yeah, we'll think about #1 status if Nadal wins RG and Roger fails to win
Wimbledon. Then there will be a race for #1 in summer hard court seasons.

FedFan_2007
05-15-2007, 05:26 PM
Dream on Fednuts. Nadal is a BEAST who never gets tired! He'll win everything!

megraf
05-16-2007, 07:45 AM
This is good motivation for Federer however, I hav to agree with Brad Gilbert. Coming from an ex-pro, he should know best.
Most people think it's impossible, but at the rate at which things are going, when teh tennis season ends it'll probably be in the papers," Spanish Underdog Numero Uno"
or
"Rafael Nadal overcomes Federer to gain 'King of Tennis' title".
;)

ktownva
05-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I'm not an expert on the rankings, so I can't calculate whether Rafa would catch Fed this year. But based on the way Nadal is playing, and the way he has improved his backhand and volley, I think he will do even better this year on non-clay surfaces. If/when Nadal wins Hamburg and RG he will have to be considered the best player of '07 so far.

Kim
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
ktownva, so you all of a sudden forget Federer's no-loss-set form at Australian Open, and declare Nadal best player of 07 because he wins on HIS BEST surface? Uhmmm....Lets see when Wimbledon comes.

Rabbit
05-16-2007, 10:19 AM
Federer is still the odds on favorite to win 3/4 Grand Slams this year. He's won 9 of the last 13 Grand Slam events. Nads won 2 of the other 4 with Safin and Gaudio winning the other two.

While past performance is no indication of future earnings, Federer has to be considered the best player by a long shot. Nads is King of the Dirt, but his kingdom ends there.

edberg505
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
This is good motivation for Federer however, I hav to agree with Brad Gilbert. Coming from an ex-pro, he should know best.
Most people think it's impossible, but at the rate at which things are going, when teh tennis season ends it'll probably be in the papers," Spanish Underdog Numero Uno"
or
"Rafael Nadal overcomes Federer to gain 'King of Tennis' title".
;)

Oh, you mean sorta like him telling Murray to play through insanely painful wrist injury. Brad Gilbert is an *****hat!!!

ktownva
05-16-2007, 03:09 PM
ktownva, so you all of a sudden forget Federer's no-loss-set form at Australian Open, and declare Nadal best player of 07 because he wins on HIS BEST surface? Uhmmm....Lets see when Wimbledon comes.

No, I haven't forgotten Fed's form at the AO, he was on fire for sure. But since winning in Dubai, Fed has gone down in Round 2 once and Round 3 twice. Nadal has been to the quarters or better in every tourney this year (winning at Indian Wells, deep in Miami, winning at Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, and probably Hamburg and RG).

He's 1-0 against Fed this year, 7-3 lifetime (2-1 on hardcourt). Face the facts, bro.

edberg505
05-16-2007, 03:27 PM
No, I haven't forgotten Fed's form at the AO, he was on fire for sure. But since winning in Dubai, Fed has gone down in Round 2 once and Round 3 twice. Nadal has been to the quarters or better in every tourney this year (winning at Indian Wells, deep in Miami, winning at Monte Carlo, Barcelona, Rome, and probably Hamburg and RG).

He's 1-0 against Fed this year, 7-3 lifetime (2-1 on hardcourt). Face the facts, bro.

This is interesting. I wonder where all the Nadal fans ran off to after his Wimbledon final appearance last year. Now that he's back on his beloved clay they are coming out of the wood works. Interesting indeed!!!

zpeed7
05-16-2007, 04:04 PM

The indoor season is where Nadal should pick up some extra points. Madrid in particular.

I think Nadal's a very intelligent player, and he's doing everything he can to improve his game. All the doubles he's playing has improved his net play A LOT. I hope he starts flattening his forehand a bit for grass and hardcourts. If he can hit it that hard with spin, you can imagine how it would be. Over the years, I've only seen him do it once or twice, and it was easy on Monfils/Gonzalez territory. Will it be enough for #1? I guess we'll wait and see.

Zaragoza
05-16-2007, 04:20 PM
This is interesting. I wonder where all the Nadal fans ran off to after his Wimbledon final appearance last year. Now that he's back on his beloved clay they are coming out of the wood works. Interesting indeed!!!

In my case I have always been here like other Nadal fans, so dont say that all the Nadal fans leaved.
Second, Wimbledon and Indian Wells are not played on his beloved clay. Third, ask yourself where are all the Nadal haters that said he was going to drop from no. 2 or even from top 5 and he was going to be another Michael Chang. I cant see any of them now, interesting to see how they leaved ;)

EasternRocks
05-16-2007, 05:07 PM
it is reallly hard to determine. at the current time, nadal has ben sucseeding and federer has been in a ditch and has fallen down. if nadal wins wimbeldon and us open, i wonder what the difference will be. but i hope roger finds his form in one of the grand slams.

Mick
05-16-2007, 05:27 PM
i don't see how Nadal could finish the year with the number one ranking because when the clay court season is over, guys like Blake, Berdych, Youhzny, Federer, etc. are going to upset/beat Nadal again on the fast surfaces.

tennishead93
05-16-2007, 06:03 PM
o yeah count on blake to take(it rymes) nadal out on grass and hard...only if he can make it as far as nadal in the tournies. if nadal injures himself the way he is playing(it looks like a possibility) this thread would go into shreds(im a rapper)

CEvertFan
05-17-2007, 02:38 AM

Actually Nadal and Federer are 2-2 on hardcourts:

2007 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal 6-4 6-4
2006 Tennis Masters Cup
China Hard S Federer 6-4 7-5
2006 Wimbledon
England Grass F Federer 6-0 7-6(5) 6-7(2) 6-3
2006 Roland Garros
France Clay F Nadal 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6(4)
2006 ATP Masters Series Rome
Italy Clay F Nadal 6-7(0) 7-6(5) 6-4 2-6 7-6(5)
2006 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal 6-2 6-7(2) 6-3 7-6(5)
2006 Dubai
U.A.E. Hard F Nadal 2-6 6-4 6-4
2005 Roland Garros
France Clay S Nadal 6-3 4-6 6-4 6-3
2005 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard F Federer 2-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-3 6-1
2004 Miami AMS
FL, U.S.A. Hard R32 Nadal 6-3 6-3

baseliner87
05-17-2007, 02:51 AM
nadal has easily ten years left in him do yous think he will get burned out

roysid
05-17-2007, 02:56 AM
That's not a risky prediction. Nadal is leading in the points race. 2 more clay court tourneys Hamburg and FO are in queue.

SO, Nadal has 40% chance of maintaining the lead.

But of course if Fed plays anywhere near his form of 2006 second half (lost only 1 match), then Nadal will be way behind.

My prediction is that it will be a close affair. Whoever has the #1 ranking, the points difference won't be much.

aznobct
05-17-2007, 03:05 AM
nadal has easily ten years left in him do yous think he will get burned out

I actually think fed has more years ahead of him than nadal does even though feds older. Nadal's playing style is just too hard on the body, as we saw near the end of last year when he kinda burned out, while fed has a much more relaxed and fluid game.

I think if nadal can stay healthy and not tire out toward the end of the year, he has a chance of overtaking fed

ktownva
05-17-2007, 03:19 AM
Actually Nadal and Federer are 2-2 on hardcourts:

2007 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal 6-4 6-4
2006 Tennis Masters Cup
China Hard S Federer 6-4 7-5
2006 Wimbledon
England Grass F Federer 6-0 7-6(5) 6-7(2) 6-3
2006 Roland Garros
France Clay F Nadal 1-6 6-1 6-4 7-6(4)
2006 ATP Masters Series Rome
Italy Clay F Nadal 6-7(0) 7-6(5) 6-4 2-6 7-6(5)
2006 ATP Masters Series Monte Carlo
Monaco Clay F Nadal 6-2 6-7(2) 6-3 7-6(5)
2006 Dubai
U.A.E. Hard F Nadal 2-6 6-4 6-4
2005 Roland Garros
France Clay S Nadal 6-3 4-6 6-4 6-3
2005 ATP Masters Series Miami
FL, U.S.A. Hard F Federer 2-6 6-7(4) 7-6(5) 6-3 6-1
2004 Miami AMS
FL, U.S.A. Hard R32 Nadal 6-3 6-3

Wouldn't Shanghai be considered Indoor/Carpet? Anyway, Nadal should be 3-0 on hardcourt, since he should have won 2005 Miami in straights.

J-man
05-17-2007, 03:22 AM
I think Nadal's a very intelligent player, and he's doing everything he can to improve his game. All the doubles he's playing has improved his net play A LOT. I hope he starts flattening his forehand a bit for grass and hardcourts. If he can hit it that hard with spin, you can imagine how it would be. Over the years, I've only seen him do it once or twice, and it was easy on Monfils/Gonzalez territory. Will it be enough for #1? I guess we'll wait and see.If he hit hard with spin it would be like a Federer forehand. He would be such a bigger threat on hardcourts and grass.

rafan
05-17-2007, 04:56 AM
Perhaps Nadal could do with Brad Gilbert to coach him for the hard court season .

jhhachamp
05-17-2007, 08:06 AM
Wouldn't Shanghai be considered Indoor/Carpet? Anyway, Nadal should be 3-0 on hardcourt, since he should have won 2005 Miami in straights.

I think it's an indoor hard court.

Baghdatis72
05-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Perhaps Nadal could do with Brad Gilbert to coach him for the hard court season .

I can't see Gilbert leaving Murray atm after he pushed him to the top 10.

tamaj13
05-17-2007, 08:20 AM
I don't think this prediction has too much substance behind it. I mean its pretty obvious Brad is getting carried away witnessing Nadal demolish his opponents so easily on clay as yet. We all know Nadal is a beast on clay and we all expected him to rise up to the occasion on clay, so its no surprise seeing him pull off such streaks on his strongest surface. I guess its human nature to get carried away. Let the clay season conclude and then we will see how much of Brad's prediction actually comes true. And I don't think it will. Tennis isn't only about the clay season. Lets see how well Nadal does come the hardcourt season. I think only then can we put something reasonable forward.

Not too long ago I would have been in total agreement, but Nadal is incorporating an attacking style of game to complement his baseline strength. With his speed and mental toughness, it's going to be tough to beat this guy on any surface! Roger is my guy because of his all court game, but Nadal is making the adjustments to beat Roger and Roger doesn't seem to be making any to beat Nadal. Nadal has beaten Roger on hard courts twice. Roger has yet to beat Nadal on clay. If you compare their stats across the board, you will find that Nadal comes out ahead, even if slightly. I'm looking for Roger to start making some adjustments, or Brad just might end up being right for the 1st time in his life :)

tamaj13
05-17-2007, 08:25 AM
I actually think fed has more years ahead of him than nadal does even though feds older. Nadal's playing style is just too hard on the body, as we saw near the end of last year when he kinda burned out, while fed has a much more relaxed and fluid game.

I think if nadal can stay healthy and not tire out toward the end of the year, he has a chance of overtaking fed

This is an excellent point. Nadal's game does appear to take more of a toll on the body, but he is building his body much as he is his game. Perhaps he'll be able to take it. After playing so many matches in a row though, it wouldn't surprise me to see him take some time off after the French. If he doesn't take the time, he'll probably end up losing early in a couple tourneys.

a guy
05-17-2007, 08:43 AM
He's just trying to be a sensationalist.

No offence to Nadal but it was like this last year, he dominated the clay and then tapered off after wimbledon.

fednad
05-17-2007, 10:03 AM

Your logic -- the "should have won "!
If my aunt had baals she "should have been" uncle. Boy! It does not ork thtat way.

ktownva
05-18-2007, 06:44 AM
Your logic -- the "should have won "!
If my aunt had baals she "should have been" uncle. Boy! It does not ork thtat way.

It doesn't take a lot of reasoning ability to understand the logic (or does it?) Nadal had the match won in Miami 2005, he got a little nervous and lost. But he SHOULD have won. Just like Fed SHOULD have won in Rome last year when he had match points against Nadal and missed easy forehands. He SHOULD have made those shots and he SHOULD have won. So Nadal should be 3-0 on hardcourts, and Fed should be 1 and 5 or whatever on clay.

dh003i
05-18-2007, 08:08 AM
ktown,

Which wouldn't change their overall record.

CEvertFan
05-19-2007, 04:27 PM

A hardcourt is a hardcourt whether it's indoors or outdoors. When the term indoor is used as the name for the surface, it is referring to carpet.

Unfortunately Nadal did not win in straight sets in Miami 2005, he lost after leading 2 sets to love. Should have won and actually winning are two different things. That would be like me saying that since Federer had a couple of match points against Nadal last year in Rome that Fed's record against Nadal on clay should include one win but I wouldn't say such a stupid thing because Federer DIDN'T win the match.

travlerajm
05-19-2007, 06:22 PM
Two points:

1) Nadal's loss to Federer in Miami was not due to nervousnous. He lost that match due to Fed's superior fitness. If you don't believe me, go find the tape of the 5th set of that match. Fed ran Nadal back and forth like a yoyo until he couldn't run anymore.

2) Gilbert's prediction is not based on logic. It's based on his delusional notion that a pro's success is determined by who is coaching him. If Fed's game goes into the tank now, it will reinforce his delusion and increase his value as a coach.

VamosRafa
05-19-2007, 06:36 PM
^^^ As for Gilbert's logic, or lack thereof, at least he has some background for making such predictions. His experience as a pro player, coach and commentator make him arguably more qualified than most of us here.

Ethan04
05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
the number one ranking doesn't mean too much to federer. if you would win french and break 14 slams record, that's something.

thejackal
05-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Two points:

1) Nadal's loss to Federer in Miami was not due to nervousnous. He lost that match due to Fed's superior fitness. If you don't believe me, go find the tape of the 5th set of that match. Fed ran Nadal back and forth like a yoyo until he couldn't run anymore.

2) Gilbert's prediction is not based on logic. It's based on his delusional notion that a pro's success is determined by who is coaching him. If Fed's game goes into the tank now, it will reinforce his delusion and increase his value as a coach.

totally agreed with #1. i remember watching parts of the first 3 sets, and coming back to watch the last few games of the match. nadal was spent - both physically and mentally. he basically conceded the last set to federer. i have not seen him do that to anyone, even in a span of a game, since.

David L
05-21-2007, 04:16 AM
^^^ As for Gilbert's logic, or lack thereof, at least he has some background for making such predictions. His experience as a pro player, coach and commentator make him arguably more qualified than most of us here.
His experience only makes him qualified as a coach. Predictions of the kind he made, so early in the season and with such certainty, come from a knee-jerk reaction to the recent results posted by Federer and Nadal, not from unique insight due to coaching and playing experience. Others were predicting similar things at this time last year, and look what happened. Brad Gilbert just jumped on the latest bandwagon and is probably looking to get off. I wonder if he still thinks Nadal will end the year No.1. A good coach or someone with some tennis knowledge would tell you that Federer's game is better suited for the second half of the season, so we ought to wait to see what results are posted closer to November before we start making end or year ranking predictions. Such is his vanity, Gilbert was just trying to get in there early so he could look like some sort of tennis guru if he turned out to be right. Guaranteed he would remind everyone of his prediction if he lucked out. You will not hear a peep out of him if or when he is wrong.

skip1969
05-21-2007, 06:45 AM
if i had a buck for every one of gilbert's "predictions" that DIDN'T come true, i'd be a rich man. the guy is a ham for publicity/attention and is all about making a little noise, getting a headline or a soundbite somewhere. obviously, he was ignored as a small child, poor thing.

if he were standing next to me at the roulette table with a stack full of chips in front of him, a perfectly made martini in one hand, and a beautiful, foreign honey on each arm . . . and he told me to lay it all on black . . .

. . . i'd STILL bet red.

tennis_hand
05-21-2007, 07:14 AM
the number one ranking doesn't mean too much to federer. if you would win french and break 14 slams record, that's something.

ya. if he can win the true GS this year, he is willing to relinquish his No1 to Nadal. I bet.

Objective Danny
05-21-2007, 02:47 PM
If Brad Gilbert say it you can put your foot on it.

tamaj13
05-22-2007, 03:29 AM
His experience only makes him qualified as a coach. Predictions of the kind he made, so early in the season and with such certainty, come from a knee-jerk reaction to the recent results posted by Federer and Nadal, not from unique insight due to coaching and playing experience. Others were predicting similar things at this time last year, and look what happened. Brad Gilbert just jumped on the latest bandwagon and is probably looking to get off. I wonder if he still thinks Nadal will end the year No.1. A good coach or someone with some tennis knowledge would tell you that Federer's game is better suited for the second half of the season, so we ought to wait to see what results are posted closer to November before we start making end or year ranking predictions. Such is his vanity, Gilbert was just trying to get in there early so he could look like some sort of tennis guru if he turned out to be right. Guaranteed he would remind everyone of his prediction if he lucked out. You will not hear a peep out of him if or when he is wrong.

I, too, think Federer's game is better suited to hold up over the entire course of a season, simply because I think he expends less energy with his game, and wins a lot more quick points with his serve. Nadal has made some progress with his attacking game, and I still believe that, when rested, he is a threat to anyone on any surface. He won't dominate on fast surfaces as he does on clay, but he is a threat to beat anyone on any surface on a given day. He hasn't proven that he can beat Federer on grass yet, but he has reached the Wimbledon Final after, what, two-three tries? My guess is that if he continues to play the kind of schedule that he does, he will be far too fatigued to win a US Open. He has already played almost twice as many matches as Federer (http://tennisracquetsport.suite101.com/article.cfm/hamburg_and_rome_hype_french_open) so by the time Wimbledon is over he is out of gas. I can't wait to see their mental approaches come the French. That will tell me quite a bit more about what the rest of the year is likely to look like.

federerfanatic
05-22-2007, 03:41 AM
It doesn't take a lot of reasoning ability to understand the logic (or does it?) Nadal had the match won in Miami 2005, he got a little nervous and lost. But he SHOULD have won. Just like Fed SHOULD have won in Rome last year when he had match points against Nadal and missed easy forehands. He SHOULD have made those shots and he SHOULD have won. So Nadal should be 3-0 on hardcourts, and Fed should be 1 and 5 or whatever on clay.

You dont know squat. Nadal did not win the match at the Nasdaq in 2005, Federer did, period. It does not matter who you think should have won, it is who won that matters. Anyway I could say Nadal should have never been in position to win in straights anyway since Federer had the 2nd set won and "choked", or are you forgetting he was up 5-2 despite playing poorly, and muffed some ridiculously easy shots like a sitting overhead to allow Nadal to come back in that set to begin with.

One could also say Federer "should" have won in Dubai. He won 78 points to Nadal's 70, and had many more break points and chances in the 2nd set but missed them all, alot by easy second serve returns pushed in the net.

Or going by that logic Federer "should have won in Rome last year, and then the head to head on clay would only be 4-2 in Nadal's favor. None of that matters though. Federer did not win those matches, Nadal did, just like Nadal did not win the 2005 Nasdaq final, Federer did.

Also there head to head is 2-2 on hard courts. Shanghai is a hard court, and Federer won in straight sets at Shanghai.

tamaj13
05-22-2007, 04:18 AM
You dont know squat. Nadal did not win the match at the Nasdaq in 2005, Federer did, period. It does not matter who you think should have won, it is who won that matters. Anyway I could say Nadal should have never been in position to win in straights anyway since Federer had the 2nd set won and "choked", or are you forgetting he was up 5-2 despite playing poorly, and muffed some ridiculously easy shots like a sitting overhead to allow Nadal to come back in that set to begin with.

One could also say Federer "should" have won in Dubai. He won 78 points to Nadal's 70, and had many more break points and chances in the 2nd set but missed them all, alot by easy second serve returns pushed in the net.

Or going by that logic Federer "should have won in Rome last year, and then the head to head on clay would only be 4-2 in Nadal's favor. None of that matters though. Federer did not win those matches, Nadal did, just like Nadal did not win the 2005 Nasdaq final, Federer did.

Also there head to head is 2-2 on hard courts. Shanghai is a hard court, and Federer won in straight sets at Shanghai.

You go Fed Fan :)!

phat
05-22-2007, 04:28 AM
This thread is meaningless until after the Master Cup. Brad Gilbert was a good pro, but he is predicting the future that he has no control over. In the stockmarket (in end of Feb), many so called "experts" said the Dow Jones will go below 10000 points in April..... Guess what it is at a record high at above 13500 at this moment & did not even get close to 10000 at any point. Predictions is like an ego mastubation.... Once the predictor get the right outcome, he will start glorifying his insight and tell you "I told you so, blah blah blah....." & if he's wrong, don't expect him to say s**t, he just hopes that you forget about his prediction.

Ztalin
05-22-2007, 04:40 AM

The thing is, though, that most of his -predictions- are blanket statements, with little to no reasoning. His predictions are terrible, and can't usually ever be taken seriously.

He makes these predictions, hoping for them to come true, so that he can say "see! I told you so!"

poplar
05-22-2007, 05:50 AM
The thing is, though, that most of his -predictions- are blanket statements, with little to no reasoning. His predictions are terrible, and can't usually ever be taken seriously.

He makes these predictions, hoping for them to come true, so that he can say "see! I told you so!"

actually he's very cunning making those controversial predictions. when they do come true, he is the winner. when they dont, people will soon forget about it and he loses nothing over it.

ktownva
05-22-2007, 06:39 AM

Listen FedFanBoy,

You are obviously commenting from a biased/emotional standpoint, as your username clearly indicates. Perhaps you should enjoy your hero's recent triumph and not dwell on the fact that he crumbled miserably under pressure against Nadal in the past. If you were the "FedFanatic" that you aspire to be, you would boldly state that every one of Nadal's non-clay victories over Fed were flukes, as Fed's 10 Grand Slams would clearly point out. This would be considered absurd, but at least it would justify your position as head cheerleader.

R.Federer
05-22-2007, 06:46 AM
haha brad gilbert is an idiot nadal wont be number one until federer retires simple as that imo

federerfanatic
05-22-2007, 07:00 AM
Listen FedFanBoy,

You are obviously commenting from a biased/emotional standpoint, as your username clearly indicates. Perhaps you should enjoy your hero's recent triumph and not dwell on the fact that he crumbled miserably under pressure against Nadal in the past. If you were the "FedFanatic" that you aspire to be, you would boldly state that every one of Nadal's non-clay victories over Fed were flukes, as Fed's 10 Grand Slams would clearly point out. This would be considered absurd, but at least it would justify your position as head cheerleader.

So lets see, since I prove everything you said wrong you choose to come up with snide remarks, and snarky personal comments, rather then come up with reply related to the tennis meetings of 2 players you were talking about in the first place. Well there you have, further admiting you did not have a clue, and thus trying to change the subject which nowhere to go. Have a good day.

Fedace
05-22-2007, 07:13 AM

Hello Everyone, whenever Brad said something of this signifcance, it comes true. I fully expect him to be right on this one. Just remember, He was the ONLY ONE that predicted Maria Sharapova WIN at Wimbledon, the first year she won it. Everyone said he was crazy including myself, i told him he was high in fact, but what do you know, he was right:grin:

federerfanatic
05-22-2007, 07:17 AM
Hello Everyone, whenever Brad said something of this signifcance, it comes true. I fully expect him to be right on this one. Just remember, He was the ONLY ONE that predicted Maria Sharapova WIN at Wimbledon, the first year she won it. Everyone said he was crazy including myself, i told him he was high in fact, but what do you know, he was right:grin:

He then predicted Maria Sharapova to win Wimbledon the next year and Venus Williams killed her in the semis. He predicted Nadal to reach atleast the semis of Wimbledon 2005 and he lost in the 2nd round. He predicted Justine and Nadal to win last years Wimbledon finals, and they both lost.

Speaking of predictions, you are the dimwit who said you were certain Nadal would win the Aussie Open, and that Roddick would take out Federer in the semis. Well there you have it. Nuff said.

ktownva
05-22-2007, 07:23 AM
So lets see, since I prove everything you said wrong you choose to come up with snide remarks, and snarky personal comments, rather then come up with reply related to the tennis meetings of 2 players you were talking about in the first place. Well there you have, further admiting you did not have a clue, and thus trying to change the subject which nowhere to go. Have a good day.

Wow, that was truly devastating. Clearly I am obligated to let you have the last word since you are a child.

David L
10-29-2007, 07:11 AM
Well, I guess that puts paid to that prediction.

MEAC_ALLAMERICAN
10-29-2007, 07:13 AM
Next year, I think his prediction will have his man Murray as the number one player in the world. Good old Brad :-)

keithchircop
10-29-2007, 07:16 AM
Brad sure likes to be in the news. I take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

NamRanger
10-29-2007, 07:22 AM

Nadal was up in the tiebreak and played good tennis, Federer just hit the 5th gear and blasted Nadal off the court. Once in the 5th set, Nadal was tired out of his mind. Please watch the matches instead of looking at statistics.

Fedace
10-29-2007, 07:28 AM
He then predicted Maria Sharapova to win Wimbledon the next year and Venus Williams killed her in the semis. He predicted Nadal to reach atleast the semis of Wimbledon 2005 and he lost in the 2nd round. He predicted Justine and Nadal to win last years Wimbledon finals, and they both lost.

Speaking of predictions, you are the dimwit who said you were certain Nadal would win the Aussie Open, and that Roddick would take out Federer in the semis. Well there you have it. Nuff said.

Are you a federer fan/troll ?? I was hoping Nadal would win the aussie open like i am hoping stanford would win the NCAA this year. OK? nobody can predict the future, you can only pull for your guys .:grin:

Fedace
10-29-2007, 07:29 AM
Next year, I think his prediction will have his man Murray as the number one player in the world. Good old Brad :-)

I don't think he will go that far. but i do think he will definitely predict that Andy will win one of the slams, not sure which one. and i do agree with him, andy will have to stay injury free, of course.

caulcano
10-29-2007, 09:08 AM
I don't think he will go that far. but i do think he will definitely predict that Andy will win one of the slams, not sure which one. and i do agree with him, andy will have to stay injury free, of course.

If Gilbert didn't think Murray would win a GS then, I think Murray would have got rid of him by now...

federerfanatic
10-29-2007, 01:23 PM
Brad Gilbert bombs on another prediction. What else is new. However in his case I dont think he believes many of his predictions. He goes out of his way to stir up controversy and is successful. So kudos to him, he manages to achieve what he wants in his brief commentary and press conference stints.