PDA

View Full Version : What the heck with wrong with Robby?

f1 tech
05-15-2007, 11:10 AM
He has been declining for the last year and a half. He seemed to have lost all his confidence! He's competitive up to the last set. Time to get a new coach, racquet, shoes, workout, anything to help!

Medibank International
Second Round Evgeny Korolev L 6-0, 4-6, 4-6

Australian Open
Third Round James Blake (5) L 6-7 (7-9), 5-7, 2-6

Regions Morgan Keegan Championships
First Round Evgeny Korolev L 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 3-6

Pacific Life Open
Second Round Novak Djokovic (12) L 4-6, 4-6

Sony Ericsson Open
First Round Vincent Spadea L 1-6, 3-6

US Men's Clay Court Championships (7)
First Round Vincent Spadea L 3-6, 6-3, 3-6

Inter****onali BNL d'Italia
First Round Daniele Bracciali L 5-7, 6-7 (2-7)

Masters Series Hamburg
First Round Robin Soderling L 6-4, 4-6, 3-6

jmsx521
05-15-2007, 03:58 PM
His 2005 US Open was quite impressive... but he hasn't managed to keep his performance as steady as Blake's, who also started his great come back around that time.

J-man
05-15-2007, 04:07 PM
I think it could be work ethic. He's got game but I don't think he is fully commited to the sport. If he could hook up with a good a coach that would push him and pump Ginepri up then maybe he can turn it around.

War, Safin!
05-16-2007, 02:32 AM
Perhaps he just sucks afterall?

CEvertFan
05-16-2007, 02:34 AM
Here's four words: Not Quite Good Enough.

35ft6
05-16-2007, 04:03 AM
When he was having that great summer, everybody commented that it was all due to a newfound commitment to fitness. He said it himself. Maybe he's not a natural fitness freak like Courier and Lendl and now he's back to his old self.

stician
05-16-2007, 04:33 AM
I saw his last match and he looked very fit. The problem is the lack of confidence which exposes his weaknesses. A serve that was good couple of years ago no longer stings (i.e. Lleyton); Two fisted continental grip backhand is not ideal for control+power against heavy topspin players (i.e. Todd Martin); Reluctance to move forward (i.e. Davydenko)

He has work but to say he's not good enough is harsh. He has every bit the potential but a good coach if he can find the cash would be necessary. Also why are Ginepri and Blake such stubborn players? There's only plan A. Rafa had beautiful match against Davydenko in the semis at Rome.

goober
05-16-2007, 05:10 AM
maybe he needs to go back and do some more Pros vs Joes episodes for TV to build his confidence.

z-money
05-16-2007, 05:37 AM
you know your a chump when you lose back to back to spadea. no offense i love spadea but he is the guy with the record for most consecutive 1st round losses.

and he is 85th in the race. yuch! even micheal russell is ahead of him. so i think next to young this is like our lowest player??? querrey is 43rd and ahead of safin!!! so one american falls away another who is younger rises. fair trade to me

AAAA
05-16-2007, 08:03 AM
When he was having that great summer, everybody commented that it was all due to a newfound commitment to fitness. He said it himself. Maybe he's not a natural fitness freak like Courier and Lendl and now he's back to his old self.

Either that or Ginepri isn't blessed with the kind of body that responds well to fitness training or that can easily aclimatise to increased training longterm. For example Sanchez Vicario and Graf were supremely fit, naturally so, but they still done fitness training and their bodies were able to adapt long term to the increased training. However when Hingis and Henin Hardenne done extra fitness and strength training to compete physically with the power hitters they weren't able to maintain the fitness levels long term.

rommil
05-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I have always thought (and have seen Ginepri in person) he has always looked fit. Yet not sure about his conditioning(not the hair). Maybe he has maximized his potentials. Some people are streaky some can do it day in and day out.

f1 tech
05-16-2007, 08:17 AM
RG is competing well, but it's like the last and deciding set that kills him. Maybe it is his fitness. He loses quite a bit of zip on his serve and strokes in the end.

He was so good 2 years ago. It's just sad to see a U.S. guy peak and drop so fast.

edmondsm
05-16-2007, 09:24 AM
I think tennis came to naturally to him. He's commented that he got to the top of the juniors playing no more than 2 or 3 times a week. He seems like a frustrated jock to me, like he wishes he played a tough guy sport. I question his commitment.

Moose Malloy
05-16-2007, 09:47 AM

ginepri has always been supremely fit(he's basically had a six pack since birth), his great summer in '05 had nothing to do with fitness. I remember one commentator, tried to spin that bs, saying he worked out hard for 2 weeks after losing early at Wimbledon & then won Indianapolis. I didn't realize 2 weeks of working out can affect your game immediately. I guess its their job always trying to find a reason why someone is playing really well or really poorly, sometimes there is no reason, considering many players over the years have had a good month or 2 like Ginepri did in '05.

Ginepri is clearly a headcase, with a poor strategic mind. Jimmy Arias has said some pretty spot on things about Ginepri, saying "with most players there is some strategy you can see point to point, too me it just looks like Robby is just hitting some balls" and this was said when Ginepri was playing well in '05.

Its not about fitness, clearly Lendl & Courier have stronger minds than Ginepri. There have been many really fit headcases, the mental aspect of the game isn't easy to solve.

atatu
05-16-2007, 10:54 AM
I hear he's been staying up late watching "The Riches"....apparently he never got over Minnie Driver. Then the guys in the locker room started in with the Jokes ("Hey is that your Minnie Driver ?") and he's getting sick of it...

J-man
05-16-2007, 01:46 PM
Perhaps he just sucks afterall?Yeah maybe, lol

EasternRocks
05-16-2007, 05:02 PM
his lack of interest in the game has very much fallen...his ranking is going down south and isn't doing so well. :sad face: lol